Going for a trip to jap...I NEED HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

enchantedream

Jul 9, 2008
Hey err...okay I don't know how am I gonna start this but okay...

Ima going to Japan in about a month's time for about err...19 days yes.. I'll be doing alot of walking definately and ima small build (haha Sembawang peeps you know me ima small) So i wonder if my equipment is right for me o_O and isit reallly necessary to bring a tripod for landscape shots?? I'll be going hiking for 2 days..-_-"

Equipment:
Bag: Kata 467
Lens : 18-135 kit, 50 1.8, Rayknox 250, (should be a gorilla pod slr zoom if i can get it in time)
Remote control, hopefully a tripod =/ (my bf forbids me to bring one but i hack!), 10-20 sigma (getting one soon)

Okay yea that's about all..OH yea and if its possible can tell me all the MUST go places in japan.. OHHH OHH and i'll be covering Kyoto, Osaka, Nara and Tokyo only so yep!! hope i can get a few replies before i embark on my first trip overseas w/o parents.. ^^

Enchantedream

PS: Sembawang peeps sorry having exams now..=s can't really go out for kopi..will catch up with you guys soon after the 26th of feb!! LOVE YA!!

Just carry all your stuff for a day here in Singapore.

If you find that it's too heavy, I would suggest that you rethink what to bring.

I never bring any tripod for my travel.

Also bring along a PNS as a backup and moments where taking out a DSLR is a no go.

It's a sensory overload in Japan, one moment you'll see the state of the art Japan and the next minute traditional Japan.

My advice is that you travel light and in Japan, it's mostly street photography or scenic photography so that should easily determine the single lens which you probably will need most.

If you can carry the weight, tripod is ok but not a must. Dun be too ambitious or you won't enjoy the most out of your travel.

Open your eyes, open your heart.

Some recommended places:

Kyoto: Golden Pavilion
Osaka: Osaka castle
Nara: Nara Deer Park and temple
Tokyo: Ueno park

go for light weight travel bring 10-20mm and tele good enough over there most of time when i was at Jap only use my 24-70mm :bsmilie:

wow that's fast!! i didnt know i'd get a reply so soon...ima now training for the hiking trip..HAHA!! if you see a girl carrying a bag too big for her..maybe that's me =p I tried carrying everything for a day..its pretty heavy but can manage la...Don't have a tripod yet so can't try that out... tripod necessary anot..=s I am very sure that i'll be doing quite a few group shots..my girl friends like to do jump shots..=s can the gorilla pod do the job?? Yea crazypaladin you are right..ima too ambitious but i feel responsible to bring back good shots... ='( me and my girlfriends are planning to do something like a coffee table book for all 4 of us.. "Memories of japan" AHH!! I think i'll pack full pack and everyday go train hike up bukit timah hill la..

Equipment wise, nobody can tell you what is suitable for you, cos different pple got different style/prefs etc .... so know your own style, ,bring the stuff that you're comfortable using, and like what xtemujin suggested, bring it out for a day for a feel of it. Take into consideration clothings/accessories etc for your daypack cos its gonna be still cold. Also, if it's independent travel, do note and plan for bookings/accomm etc .... cos you'll probably hit into the sakura season. I think lens would be least worry, cos worse case, buy in japan! ;p

Haha yea its free and easy for 19days i'll be with my gfs for 9 days and 10 days with my bf... ^^ and definately hit sakura season.. ^^ that's why ima going..

ermmmm... just a reco if u go tokyo try going to shibuya at week ends if u can.. cos i been there n seem shibuya weekend is their cosplay gathering. lots of stuff to b taken :bsmilie:

Remember to plan more time for each place so that you may enjoy the visit even better!

The 18-135mm will cover plenty of grounds, the additional wide angle zoom might be a good idea as well. Tripod is pretty essential for landscapes and night shots, but bringing or not .. is up to what you intend to shoot.

Can't comment on the other places, but Hokkaido is a lovely place that I will probably make another trip. Remember to visit shinsaibashi and dontonbori in osaka. Lots of fun and food!

Ryan

Go to Asakusa temple in Tokyo...very nice and impressive!
Harajuku on weekends got interesting cosplayers too.

Mt Fuji - take e local train go to one of e 5 lakes near Mt Fuji! the view is YAH-HOOO!!!!

wah...going japan..make sure take a lot of picture ....i will be going to japan too...my plan will be bringing my d90 with kit lens and flash nia. quite heavy carry it with rezo bag already...maybe minus tripod lo....use the gorilla enough liaw. remember to kopi with us when free oh :nono:

Last edited:
Osaka castle depending on what time u reach... that time i on tour... reach evening time!!!!! no tripod... using pns some more.. no nice picture. grab the restaurant signboard and put my pns on timer and shoot lol.... used up some precious time.... then off to hotel liao... good if u travel free and easy.. dun need to rush here and there... Tokyo TOWER need UWA... unless u got time to go the distance and take the perfect picture.

if ur bag got tripod support may wanna consider bringing ur tripod... or alternatively get it there
u might find a monopod that can tranform into a stand up one leg tripod... lol.. if u find one there let me know...

searching for a good monopod at the moment.

lmaoo TROLLY lol..prolly...^^ with lauggage and equipment i think i'll die!! but nvm all for a good piece of picture..bhybhy i'll be mostly free and easy ^^ so i can go anywhere i want at anytime.. thinking of borrowing tripod... wanna try pano shots...

email aung.ronald@gmail.com for a real solution. i need to tak abit of time to know what is your anxiety , concerns, and the photographic moments and themes you might want to capture. I will draw an itinerary that contain good comprehesive and areas that are beyond "common-tourist-only" - Kyoto especially. since it will be a free & easy trip i suppose you are able to go any area possible... which is good

more importantly, i shall guide you on the railing system and how to get discount rides!

Last edited:
Surprised - no one told you yet. Bring: Lots of memory cards, or better a backup device or your laptop. You'll certainly run out of space on a 19 day trip.

Kyoto - there is more than the Golden Pavilion (Kinkaku-ji).

Other favorites of mine:
Ryoan ji - stone garden. Be there before opening, so you are first in; and have some time alone, before the crowds storm in
Nijo Castle - ok
Kiyomizu dera - Wow. Again, show up early, before opening. There is quite something to see outside in front of the gate. And the sunrise is spectacular
Nanzen-ji - must
Philosopher's walk - this will be wow, with the cherry blossom
Ginka-kuji - nice. At the end of the philosopher's walk

And finally Fushimi-Inari. Early morning - nice sunlight, and still quiet. Go light, as you'll have to hike up the mountain

Nara
Not that impressive after you've spend days in Kyoto. 1 day might be enough for the parks. But if it's cherry blossom, it might be different

Enjoy - and hope you'll speak some Japanese ;-). Otherwise things can be tough at times

Happy shooting.

Check this out. Heaps of information. Enjoy ur trip! :)

Don't forgot to go Asakusa temper, and Osaka Shin sai ba shi shopping mail

For me, the tripod is a must. Couldnt bear to ask some strangers to take photos for my wife and myself. Most of the time, the pics are not well taken (either out of focus or badly composed).

You can always bring a lightweight tripod.

If you dun have a tripod, you probably will miss out on the wonderful night scenes in Nihon.

I saw this link on night view of Japan for photographers on the travel forum. Pretty good guide:D

So I thought share with you all

http://ww4.tiki.ne.jp/~mmurakami/setoy/map.html

Quite sure you will bring your tripod after seeing the above

Status
Not open for further replies.