Going Bangkok. Advise please....


Status
Not open for further replies.

kevyan

New Member
Jan 5, 2005
550
0
0
42
PR
#1
Hi all,

I am going Bangkok for a short holiday with my wife and the 2 mothers.

Will be bringing my PowerShot S2 and tripod (Manfrotto 190PROB and 486RC2). Is the tripod an over over kill for my camera? But this is the only tripod I have.... cannot be help.... :dunno:

Are there anything I need to beware of when in Bangkok?
 

#2
kevyan said:
Hi all,

I am going Bangkok for a short holiday with my wife and the 2 mothers.

Will be bringing my PowerShot S2 and tripod (Manfrotto 190PROB and 486RC2). Is the tripod an over over kill for my camera? But this is the only tripod I have.... cannot be help.... :dunno:

Are there anything I need to beware of when in Bangkok?

The overkill is not really to do with fact that you are matching it with a P&S..it is more what your wife and mothers will be buying and are you helping them to carry hehe...carrying that heavy tripod around the whole day while you walk about can be pretty troublsome. I have the same tripod with a pretty big head thus it is really heavy but I like it and am use to it and I don't shop when I go oversea! heheheh.....

Bangkok is pretty safe. The people are friendly and not too pushy. I have never had any problem when I am over there to visit my friends. Things move at a slower pace here and people are not into confrontation or loud angry outburst. So keep calm if you get into any situation that might for one reason or not irk you. It is all about "face" so keeping cool will go a long way.
 

dkw

New Member
Dec 10, 2003
1,051
0
0
CCK
Visit site
#3
kevyan said:
Hi all,

I am going Bangkok for a short holiday with my wife and the 2 mothers.

Will be bringing my PowerShot S2 and tripod (Manfrotto 190PROB and 486RC2). Is the tripod an over over kill for my camera? But this is the only tripod I have.... cannot be help.... :dunno:

Are there anything I need to beware of when in Bangkok?
Just buy a cheap $20 aluminium one to carry around and save your back. Many on sale at Yahoo auctions too. If you really can't find one, I'm happy to lend you mine but you need to pick up at my convenience.

Cheers:)
 

Nisa

Senior Member
Aug 13, 2004
1,286
0
0
#4
don't bring a tripod lah!

Bring a backpack, so you can put some things in it, rather than carrying it all the time.

Always ask 3 or more different people about the directions, and you must get at least 3 persons to agree on the same directions before heading in it.

don't trust the taxi drivers, they will say they know, and end up bringing you in circles.
Always tell them again and AGAIN. And most important, use meters!!!

if u want to take those tuk tuk (spelling error maybe), be prepared to get slaughter!
or be ready to bargain!

And always bargain when shopping! you never know u might get discounts.... :lovegrin:
 

W.Jr.

New Member
Aug 23, 2004
7
0
0
Singapore
#5
The taxi drivers.... Had to take the normal street taxi from the hotel to the airport. Thought it was a "metered" taxi but found out otherwise. I had asked the hotel bell boy about the estimated cost of the ride to the airport and he total me 350 baht... but after I jump in, I noticed the meter was no running, so I asked the lady driver... she told me it was 350! When we got to the airport... guess what? she had "no change"...
 

Astin

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2002
4,736
0
36
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
#6
I think it is an overkill.
Following the other guy advise, get a cheap and small and light tripod to carry around is ok already. U probably will only use the tripod when u need to take group photo of everyone together and there is no other tourist around to help u.
 

vbs1979

New Member
Feb 25, 2005
1,550
0
0
Lot One
vbs1979.multiply.com
#7
i think the tripod u mention is a definite overkill. like wat others mention, get a light weight tripod will do. actually for group photos, u can ask other tourist to take for you especially when u r at tourist attraction. the tripod will be useful when u r taking the nite scenary. :)
 

kevyan

New Member
Jan 5, 2005
550
0
0
42
PR
#8
Astin said:
I think it is an overkill.
Following the other guy advise, get a cheap and small and light tripod to carry around is ok already. U probably will only use the tripod when u need to take group photo of everyone together and there is no other tourist around to help u.
Aiyah.... like that sia leow loh.... put aside the Bangkok trip, my tripod alone is an overkill for my camera.... sigh.... but still can be use right....

If not, I will either have to change to a tripod more suitable for my camera :think: or I will have to get a 'Bigger' camera.... hmm.... maybe a 350D.... :bsmilie:
 

MDZ2

New Member
Feb 23, 2005
306
0
0
Eastern Part
#9
Get a beanbag or table tripod. I actually have a tripod that telescopes into 7 sections. It stands at abput 1.5m and folds into a mere 6in. I use it with no problem for my panasonic FZ10 which I think is definitely heavier than the S2. Maybe you could get one of those.
 

kevyan

New Member
Jan 5, 2005
550
0
0
42
PR
#10
MDZ2 said:
Get a beanbag or table tripod. I actually have a tripod that telescopes into 7 sections. It stands at abput 1.5m and folds into a mere 6in. I use it with no problem for my panasonic FZ10 which I think is definitely heavier than the S2. Maybe you could get one of those.
Eh.... how does it look like...? Do you have a picture of it?:sweat:
 

dkw

New Member
Dec 10, 2003
1,051
0
0
CCK
Visit site
#11
kevyan said:
Aiyah.... like that sia leow loh.... put aside the Bangkok trip, my tripod alone is an overkill for my camera.... sigh.... but still can be use right....

If not, I will either have to change to a tripod more suitable for my camera :think: or I will have to get a 'Bigger' camera.... hmm.... maybe a 350D.... :bsmilie:
Horses for courses. The aim of your trip, particularly since you are travelling with relatives, should be to enjoy yourself. Believe me, your Manfrotto set up (I've had the exact same combination previously) is no joke to lug around, particularly around crowded streets, and is a pain to set up.

If you intend to buy an SLR and some lenses in future, you don't have to 'change' your tripod, keep it for future use. However, for this trip, if all you are going to bring is the Powershot, then just get yourself a small and light tripod to bring along! Really no point killing your back and feeling tired out at the end of the day just to 'utilise' your high end tripod. A cheap and light aluminium tripod can be gotten from any photoshop for between $20-$30, easy to pack and carry, stable enough for P&S cameras. At the end of the trip, if you don't like it, you can still sell off and recover some cost. What is the total loss to you? $10? What is that in proportion to the cost of the whole trip? If someone paid you $10 to lug around a manfrotto tripod for 3 days in Bangkok, would you do it?
 

kevyan

New Member
Jan 5, 2005
550
0
0
42
PR
#12
dkw said:
Horses for courses. The aim of your trip, particularly since you are travelling with relatives, should be to enjoy yourself. Believe me, your Manfrotto set up (I've had the exact same combination previously) is no joke to lug around, particularly around crowded streets, and is a pain to set up.

If you intend to buy an SLR and some lenses in future, you don't have to 'change' your tripod, keep it for future use. However, for this trip, if all you are going to bring is the Powershot, then just get yourself a small and light tripod to bring along! Really no point killing your back and feeling tired out at the end of the day just to 'utilise' your high end tripod. A cheap and light aluminium tripod can be gotten from any photoshop for between $20-$30, easy to pack and carry, stable enough for P&S cameras. At the end of the trip, if you don't like it, you can still sell off and recover some cost. What is the total loss to you? $10? What is that in proportion to the cost of the whole trip? If someone paid you $10 to lug around a manfrotto tripod for 3 days in Bangkok, would you do it?
:think: Okay.... I shall keep my Manfrotto combi for future use.

I remember I have the free tripod given by Canon, those aluminium kind... will that do the trick...?
 

icarus

Senior Member
Jan 27, 2002
3,874
0
0
East
#13
kevyan said:
:think: Okay.... I shall keep my Manfrotto combi for future use.

I remember I have the free tripod given by Canon, those aluminium kind... will that do the trick...?
If you are not going for a photography field trip, just bring a cheap aluminium tripod will do. Leave your heavy manfrotto at home :)
 

kevyan

New Member
Jan 5, 2005
550
0
0
42
PR
#14
icarus said:
If you are not going for a photography field trip, just bring a cheap aluminium tripod will do. Leave your heavy manfrotto at home :)
Hi icarus.... okay, seems like everyone is telling me to bring a cheap and light (but steady) tripod.... true lah... I want to enjoy my trip and time with my family members too.

Hey... anyway, I actually have 2 heads for my tripod, (ball head-486RC2 and the 3 way head-141RC2), should I sell one of them away?
:dunno:
 

Jul 17, 2005
2,504
0
0
33
Clementi
#16
1) Goto BK and buy a tripod. u can get one for abt $15.

2) don bring it. seriously, i don think u need it at all. somemore u got IS. helps quite a fair bit
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom