Going Back to Film

Going Back to film

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
antitrust said:
high end digital camera close to a MF cam? no offence, but it just doesn't sound right to me. i think even high end dSLRs cannot match a MF? i think la. :dunno:

It may not "sound right", but it certainly looks it. Try looking at some good dslr prints at 24inx36in(ie, 2ft x 3ft) and try to say the same thing again.

Me too never left film even though Digital is the direction everyone seems to be heading.
I too own and uses DSLR, but that hasn't prevented me from bring my Film SLR fo an occasional spin around town.
I believe there is always a touch of nostalgia in everyone of us (especially if one gets older)......though I maybe wrong. Which explain why mechancal watches ( as brought up in some earlier post) are still alive and kicking. Same applies to boardgames, cheongsam.....
Hence there is always a place for film even yaers down the road unless they stop producing them.

I never left film... though I do shoot digital too.... well.... just hope they will not stop producing film SLR.... only very limited models are produced now, which is sad...... :(

went back to film because there's no digital Holga but i often bring my PNS out also so I'm basically still using both.

initially it was hard to adapt to film even though I used to play with 35mm but the excitement and anticipation of getting to see the end results after developing made it all easier. ^_^

Just bough a Dynax 7 film. It was a camera I wanted when I just started work. Back than no cash so ended with a Dynax 5 than a Dynax 5D later.

Wouldn't say that I'm "going back" to film, but I recently acquired a Kiev 88CM so am going to start dabblin' around with that. Quite excited, I must say... :)

Never left film, although in the process to get a DSLR for the bulk of my shooting but also getting a medium format folder camera too...;) Medium format film somehow produces really jaw dropping quality.

Heheh, I just got a folder from ebay recently. Nice piece of construction dating from the 1960's, a truly mechanical setup. No battery needed, no meter built-in, no auto winding, no auto focus. Now this is what I call a manual camera. Cant wait to shoot with it. And the self-timer still works! Hehehe ... fun!

With digital going at such high res, even 35mm film has problem keeping up. Some of the high end digital camera has resolution close to a mid. format camera.

I have seen so many commercial photographers who switched to digital when in the first place they oppose to me going into digital.

i highly doubt it. the highest end dslr is only on-par with 35mm films. read from somewhere that gd dslrs and film cameras are just as good but the deciding factor is the Lens used and of course the film used. Medium format is way superior and we havent touched on Large format yet.

i highly doubt it. the highest end dslr is only on-par with 35mm films. read from somewhere that gd dslrs and film cameras are just as good but the deciding factor is the Lens used and of course the film used. Medium format is way superior and we havent touched on Large format yet.

sorry to burst your bubble but the 1Ds MkII easily outresolves 6x4.5 film
22mp Medium format backs are about on par with 6x7 film

There was a comparative repost and test done in NYC when the Blad H1 first came out.

Essentially they pitted a 1Ds Mk II against the H1, and the H1 against a trad 645 loaded with hi-res slo emulsion.

The H1 clearly outperformed the 1Ds MkII while the H1 won, clearly, but only by a small margin over the 6x4.5 cm trans.

Going by that logic, it would seem possible that the 1Ds Mk II could outresolve 6x45 film (using hi-res slo emulsions?), but I would imagine only by a very small margin.

There was a comparative repost and test done in NYC when the Blad H1 first came out.

Essentially they pitted a 1Ds Mk II against the H1, and the H1 against a trad 645 loaded with hi-res slo emulsion.

The H1 clearly outperformed the 1Ds MkII while the H1 won, clearly, but only by a small margin over the 6x4.5 cm trans.

Going by that logic, it would seem possible that the 1Ds Mk II could outresolve 6x45 film (using hi-res slo emulsions?), but I would imagine only by a very small margin.

I would suggest you take such reports and conclusions with a pinch of salt.

I generally take such things with a bucket of salt, which probably explains my blood pressure! LOL! But the photographs were very convincing though...

CHEERS!

The convinience of digital will make many people switch to digital as technology matures. Nevertheless it will never make film extinct in the foreseeable future. In India still 90% of wedding photographers are shooting film. When I go to my village in India I still ride bullock carts but In Singapore I drive an MPV. People often forget some parts of the world are still 40 to 50 years backwards. To conclude I am certainly sure that film will live atleast my age.

well, there's no right or wrong, it is just what you intend to use your prints for.....

There's a purist b&w photon exhibition onging now untuil 16 Sep at Basheer City Room called the Grey Matters Photo Exhibition. The entire exhibition is all featuring traditional darkroom prints made from film captures.

While I still shoot film and digital, I think film and darkroom prints still have a place in my heart. the skills and patience needed in the darkroom is not common and is accummulated over a long period of time and practice.

Hi,

I went digital almost 2 years ago. Before that I have been shooting films for nearly 35 years from b&w to slides, favourite being Kodachrome. I tried scanning, but I was never happy with the workflow. With digital I have better control over every aspect of the workflow from the camera to the final print. My last piece of upgrade is my large format printer, an Epson 3850. With this I can finally match what I am seeing on my monitor.

I still have my film cameras, but I hardly use them. Recently, I am thinking of trying out the 617 format. With this, I will have to go back to film.

N.S. Ng

http://nns555.zenfolio.com/

Something which may or may not be OT. But hear my out.

There is really no need nor role for older technology such as mechanical timepieces. Quartz has overtaken 99.9% of timekeeping function in our lives. Yet mechanical watches, especially in the luxury sector are still selling like hotcakes! I'm not even talking about brands like Rolex where mechanical watches have always been their mainstay. Even those "budget" swiss brands (eg, Oris, Titoni, etc) have been resurrected because of the mech watch revival. Though less accurate, require servicing, more fragile, and more expensive on the average, many people still prefer a mechanical watch.

I love to hear the ticking sound on my wrist. Practical? No. Just feel shiok that's all!;)
Hmm...this also reminds me of, in the modern days of transistors and digital CDs, DVDs, the high end audio are seeing the "old" technology making a come back and is furious too. Just take a walk in Adelphi, one is hard press not to notice the various vacuum tube amplifiers (211, 300B, 12AX7 etc) , and the turntables.... There's just something that digital can't emulate well..... Also, I remember that till date, movie makers still prefers to use films then convert to digital rather than all digital (I might be wrong though).:)

Never really touched film before beside my film pns at home (I don't use that). I think I shall stick to digital. Don't think I will buy a SLR in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.