goin to zoo soon.. pls help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

asturias105

Dec 18, 2004
photobloglww.orgfree.com
Hi, guys. I'm going to the zoo soon, probably sometime next week. This time, i hope to capture some of the beautiful animals there. Just pondering if i should bring my tripod along? I'm using a canon A75.. think it'll b quite embarassing to let pple see that i mount that on a tripod! question is.. can i do away without a tripod (as long as i'm taking pictures in day time) ?

cheers

Some of the exhibits are in the shade and can be a challenge to shoot without a tripod. Besides, why spend money on a tripod and then left it at home? Do not worry about the tripod and the stares that you will get from people. Just indulge in photograpyh and have fun!

One more thing, this is the raining season and many times I found the lighting in the day to be less than adequate, so a tripod is a must...

asturias105 said:
Hi, guys. I'm going to the zoo soon, probably sometime next week. This time, i hope to capture some of the beautiful animals there. Just pondering if i should bring my tripod along? I'm using a canon A75.. think it'll b quite embarassing to let pple see that i mount that on a tripod! question is.. can i do away without a tripod (as long as i'm taking pictures in day time) ?

cheers

what's so wrong about mounting an A75 on a tripod? :dunno: Do you think Canon added a 'hole' below your cammie for fun? :bsmilie:

Hey man... i am also an A75 user ... I seriously i think there is nothing to be embarrassed about. I was just like you but i still went out on a CS trip to capture some sunset (despite having some inferority complex)
But there are ppl just like us using consumer cam. And it's not just any camera you're holding, i think it is one of the best comsumer cams ard. (for it's price)
Just bring ur ego and shoot. You'll do good.
Nobody will laugh at you la.

haha well, guess i'm worried of being embarassed because i'm a novice in this hobby. really hope i can get some decent shots with my camera. i guess the biggest challenge will be on how to get a shallower depth of field in taking the pictures of the animals. anyone has any suggestion on how to create a shallower dof on this canon point and shoot camera?

by the way, thanks for the advice, paladin and renegade! :)

When we were in our 20s, we groom and keep ourselves fashionable because we worry about how others view us....

Then when we reach 40-50s, we realized we grew old and no longer care about how others view us....

Finally when we reach 70-80s, it finally dawned on us that NOBODY cares about us in the FIRST place...

Hopefully the above will go a long way than helping you whether you want to tug your tripod along for the zoo trip and maybe benefit your life in other endearvours... ;)

To get shallow DOF is not easy. Think only for Macro pics then u you the Manual Focusing then can achieve abit

My 2 cents

shallow DOF with A75.. hard (refrained from using IMPOSSIBLE)..so dun try too much about shallow DOF and try improving the composition first.

That was what I was told and I felt it was good advice to start out with.

Tripod with A75? what's wrong. I use a tripod with my A200 (no... bigger number doesn't mean better cam) nothing wrong with that.

Haven't tried shooting in zoo before so I dunno if a tripod will be useful there.

Come to think of it.. when was the last time i went to the zoo.. :think:

no need to feel embarrass abt ur equipments lor IMO.... i started out with a f420 of my palm size @ my cousin's ROM.... :bsmilie:

wad matters is how u capture those beautiful moments that can be a feast in ur's and others' eyes.... :D

wah lau.. go zoo oso need to ask for help.. =.="

u're using a point and shoot camera. and that is wat u're supposed to do. just point and shoot. a tripod will simply be for the case when u wanna point at yourself and shoot.

Hi,
Dun worry abt setting up your tripod...just do it. Animals being animals requires patience so a tripod helps u to be patient for the right animal poses. :) Yes, i do agree abt the weather, given the rains that have been frequent lately...prepare alternate place, etc. for photo-taking. I was like u (still am sometimes) being embarassed by my lack of eqt, skills, etc. but my new-found frens from Clubsnap made me feel otherwise. So now it is my turn to encourage u :D
Just my little newbie thots!

More thots... i do agree that u may have a harder time getting good close-up shots with your camera, given animals like the lion and tigers that, at times, simply refuse to come nearer to u :dunno:
Just bring your tripod for this trip and see wat happens...

faithand said:
Hi,
Dun worry abt setting up your tripod...just do it. Animals being animals requires patience so a tripod helps u to be patient for the right animal poses. :) Yes, i do agree abt the weather, given the rains that have been frequent lately...prepare alternate place, etc. for photo-taking. I was like u (still am sometimes) being embarassed by my lack of eqt, skills, etc. but my new-found frens from Clubsnap made me feel otherwise. So now it is my turn to encourage u :D
Just my little newbie thots!

Good pictures that are taken from the limit of the normal equipment often blows the mind and inspires the rest of us to try harder.
Good pictures that are taken from the top of the M equipment just set the feeding frenzy to "Buy, Buy, Buy"
I prefer the first.

thanks for the encouragement, guys. :)

i do hope to get some good shots next week. will post up the pics if possible.

;)

asturias105 said:
thanks for the encouragement, guys. :)

i do hope to get some good shots next week. will post up the pics if possible.

;)

also do have a good laugh when someone else laughs at you! :D

Tripod is not needed
1. It's a light, point and shoot cam
2. It's broad daylight!!
3. A75 is not a long Zoom, minimal cam shake, 3x zoom wont shake anything
4. Shutter is fast enough under these conditions
I live 10mins from the Zoo. I've seen some ppl using tripods too, but I feel it doesn't make a difference. But its up to you
You do need tripods if ur going to the night safari though. Even without tripods (like me, too poor to buy one), ppl would look still at you, but purely under facination, when ur setting up ur cam. Been to Zoo + night safaris like 50times already, seen their reaction.

Rainforest said:
First 20 min very uncomfortable with the stares.

A Ticket to the Zoo > $16
A good Tripod > $50+
A A75 camera > $700+
Good Photo > Priceless
;)

actually when you are so focus on the pictures you never get a chance to see other ppl reaction/ stares.

When i shoot in cafes with equipment, i never bother how others are look at me, only when you make small talk then i realise got ppl looking.

when i shoot outdoor weddings, i only focus on my couples and the ppl in my shots. I ask my assistant to get them out of the picture

When i shoot street, i do notice ppl around and vice visa, i have my cam on the neck out all the time until ppl get use to it then when its almost the magical moment i bang, bang, shoot at them. sometimes when they stare i pretend to look at my LCD screen even for my film cameras, most of the times i return a smile.

its takes a tourist mindset that you are only here once so either to get the shot or not and try not to be so bothered abt other ppl, you shoot for yourself, not for them.

have fun! change your mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.