GoDaddy and Wordpress for portfolio and blog

lamergod

Feb 9, 2009
Fratton Park, Portsmouth
Hi, I'm playing with the idea of buying a domain for my portfolio as well as to also start blogging about my photography experience as I've just gotten my S League media pass and thought it'll be pretty cool to start blogging about it.

Here's the issue. I've worked with wordpress and considerably familiar with the knoks and crany of it. However I'm not familiar with GoDaddy. How is it going to end up when you use GoDaddy and host it through Wordpress. There are tons of deep tutorials out there but I'm not very wise in this aspect.

I would like to ask for your opinion if you've used GoDaddy and Wordpress for your portfolio and blog.

From what I gather, GoDaddy is very trustable and Wordpress has a lot of templates for photographer's portfolio. So that's that.

Please add your input and what I should take note of. I'm currently aiming for the mid package. I forgot the name. But there's three. I think it's called the deluxe or something.

Hi, I'm playing with the idea of buying a domain for my portfolio as well as to also start blogging about my photography experience as I've just gotten my S League media pass and thought it'll be pretty cool to start blogging about it.

Here's the issue. I've worked with wordpress and considerably familiar with the knoks and crany of it. However I'm not familiar with GoDaddy. How is it going to end up when you use GoDaddy and host it through Wordpress. There are tons of deep tutorials out there but I'm not very wise in this aspect.

I would like to ask for your opinion if you've used GoDaddy and Wordpress for your portfolio and blog.

From what I gather, GoDaddy is very trustable and Wordpress has a lot of templates for photographer's portfolio. So that's that.

Please add your input and what I should take note of. I'm currently aiming for the mid package. I forgot the name. But there's three. I think it's called the deluxe or something.

I do not use wordpress and godaddy myself but i assume you have registered a free wordpress account no? Why not just register a new domain name and do a domain mapping to your free wordpress account? Saves some money in the long run too if all you need is just a domain name...

@dejavu

I'm currently working for a sports website that uses wordpress so I have some knowledge of posting stuff on wordpress and that's about it.

If I were to get a free wordpress account, can I use theme plugin I find online for my theme? And can flash be used?

there are tons of sites that sells wordpress templates. some of them uses flash, some are even ipad compatible.

i only use godaddy for domain name registration. then after that i just set my website to the new domain thats all.

I register domains on GoDaddy but use my own hosting.

I have heard of a friend who host his site at GoDaddy and it sometimes takes forever to load. But GoDaddy's support is top notch if you ever need help.

WP is good. Very good in fact. I recommend downloading WP and installing it yourself, the wordpress.com is not worth, as you have to pay so many things to unlock all the WP features.

u can register your domain name with namecheap as well.

for hosting your own site, i recommend u to go with local web host provider. so in case u need support, response will be faster. not to mention, your site loads faster as well since u are targeting local users (provided your web host server is hosted in sg).

i am currently using apc.sg webhosting service for my website. been using them for 2-3 years, never gives me problem except once (during their upgrade).

u can register your domain name with namecheap as well.

for hosting your own site, i recommend u to go with local web host provider. so in case u need support, response will be faster. not to mention, your site loads faster as well since u are targeting local users (provided your web host server is hosted in sg).

i am currently using apc.sg webhosting service for my website. been using them for 2-3 years, never gives me problem except once (during their upgrade).

Do they allow Wordpress hosting? Because I would really like to take advantage of the huge wordpress community.

Last edited:
@dejavu

I'm currently working for a sports website that uses wordpress so I have some knowledge of posting stuff on wordpress and that's about it.

If I were to get a free wordpress account, can I use theme plugin I find online for my theme? And can flash be used?

Not very sure about that, but you could try to create a free wordpress account and see if they have the templates that you want, if not you would have to find your own web hosting with option for wordpress plugins...

haaaaaave you checked out Posterous? :D

you might want to do a simple search for godaddy in google which you will find a website fully dedicated to grievances with godaddy and as well as a wikipedia page with interesting "Controversies" of it. You can find more if you search "godaddy problem" As saying goes, read with a pinch of salt and make an informed choice.

i have been using worldpress for a few months now without any major issues

www.walkeast.com

just cant figure out how to increase file size limits for video uploads..... just doing it via youtube link now

i like the admin room layout

Like what Doctor Inferno said:
WP is good. Very good in fact. I recommend downloading WP and installing it yourself, the wordpress.com is not worth, as you have to pay so many things to unlock all the WP features.

Using WordPress.com has it's limitations, such as plugins and themes. I'm sure you know that, since you're working with a sports website with WordPress. Hosting via GoDaddy is quite easy. Though some people suggests hosting on BlueHost, JustHost, HostGator and stuff, it's up to you to choose which host you want. Domain name wise NameCheap and GoDaddy are good choices.

It will be easy to just buy the domain and host it on GoDaddy.

I'm not sure about GoDaddy's WordPress hosting but I have a GoDaddy Deluxe web host (Linux) for other purposes. I have once created a folder to install WordPress.org and it works fine. Easy installation. But if you plan to take advantage of the WordPress community using your standalone blog, Search Engine Optimization is important.

Since you're planning to get the Deluxe WordPress hosting plan and want it cheap, the only thing to do is to buy the hosting for a longer term. You can Google for coupon codes online to further add more discounts ;p

What I would suggest is that you read up some reviews online to see whether you want to host it on GoDaddy or not. Some will tell you that GoDaddy ranks at #1 while some will tell you that GoDaddy ranks in the middle. So, ultimately, it's up to you. If I were you, I would choose BlueHost or HostGator as I've heard good comments online.

I'm no expert in all these but yea, that's my thoughts :X

Last edited: