Go Ho chi minh, which lens to bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aogiliu

Jul 7, 2006
Will go ho chi minh next Mon, I only have 18-35. 35/2 and 80-200. Which to bring? All?
80-200 too heavy wad.

Ho Chi Minh is a very crowded city. Unless you plan to taking sniper people shots, don't bring the 80-200. And honestly... the 80-200 is NOT too heavy. If it's too heavy for you to the point where you don't want to bring it along for travels, then why did you buy it? You hsould have just gotten a cheap and light sigma 75-300.

Hi aogiliu

It depends heavily on what you intend to shoot while there, and also whether you are willing to sacrifice lens speed for traveling light. There will be no uniformity in answer, Everyone has their own opinion on their preferences.

I used to think my ( 70-200 ) was too heavy and bought an 18-200mm for my usual holidays. Until recently i finally brought it out for a spin in Japan. And realized what shooting joy I missed. It is not really heavy actually.

If u already excluded the 80-200mm and yet you need the longer focal length, a lightweight option would be to just rent an 18-200 and be on the go. Alternatively you can also bring your 18-35 and the 35/2 or even either of them alone as well but prepare to miss abit at the longer end

Ryan

if u intend to go up the mekong river to shoot along the floating markets, you will definitely need ur tele lens :)
but if ur just doing lotsa street shooting, you may not need it.

It really depends on what you want to shoot and not where you are going. Lenses are made to be used according to their specific purposes and not the place you are visiting.

Have a nice holiday :).

It really depends on what you want to shoot and not where you are going. Lenses are made to be used according to their specific purposes and not the place you are visiting.

Have a nice holiday :).

Can't agree with you more :thumbsup:

I would bring all if i were you.and the 80-200 isn't heavy.You may need it for street esp. if you dont want to offend people;).BTW:My definition of heavy is anything longer than 400mm

18-35. And extra batteries, charge them full over night before every outing.

18-35. And extra batteries, charge them full over night before every outing.

Yeah, I'd agree with bringing the 18-35mm and extra batteries. I'd usually bring along my charger just in case, plus do take note of the type of sockets they use overseas. I bought a 18-200 VR for travelling and had no regrets, leaving it on the body most of the time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.