GND/ND filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelimon

Jan 22, 2007
waiting for my DSLR to come in, but already shopping for accessories in the meanwhile ;)

Since I will be taking quite a few landscape shots (daytime), was considering getting them GND or ND filters, CPLs as well. Now I realised that there are a few types of GNDs around n numbered according to the f-stop, is it necessary to get a few across a range (say 2-stop,, 4 -stop) or just one for all occasions?

also, just curious. is there any need for a CPL filter say if i wan to shoot a concert hall with bright lighting?

thanks all.

Hi

There are lots of resources on the net to explain the functions / differences in ND / GND / CPL that you might find useful.

Now I realised that there are a few types of GNDs around n numbered according to the f-stop, is it necessary to get a few across a range (say 2-stop,, 4 -stop) or just one for all occasions?

One is technically not enough to cover for a broad spectrum of lighting conditions that may occur say on a holiday. Sometimes you need a 4 stop, somtimes a 2 stop will do.

also, just curious. is there any need for a CPL filter say if i wan to shoot a concert hall with bright lighting?

In the concert hall setting you probably want to have as much light as possible. you will loose a few stops of light per filter, and there probably issin a need for a CPL in the first place.

Ryan

hi guys, thanks for the reply!

ryan: i do have in mind to shoot the spiral soundboard (ceiling) above the stage in the ESP concert hall. There are quite a few glaring spotlights there. Or just a normal UV filter will do?

ryan: i do have in mind to shoot the spiral soundboard (ceiling) above the stage in the ESP concert hall. There are quite a few glaring spotlights there. Or just a normal UV filter will do?

The CPL will cut down light across the scene, and will not be able to selectively dim the spotlights. The UV filter u r using to just protect the front element i assume ?

Ryan

The CPL will cut down light across the scene, and will not be able to selectively dim the spotlights. The UV filter u r using to just protect the front element i assume ?

Ryan

heehee, i believe that will actually be its primary purpose ;p

so no need for CPLs, just playing around with the settings will be sufficient? am asking first cos i have only a small window of time (~ 30 min) to shoot the place spread over a few days.

recommend u concentrate on shooting w/o filters first.

dun confuse yourself. focus on the bare basics first.

for glaring spotlights, no filter is going to solve the problem. it may even be beneficial to remove your filter to reduce the chance of flare.

recommend u concentrate on shooting w/o filters first.

dun confuse yourself. focus on the bare basics first.

for glaring spotlights, no filter is going to solve the problem. it may even be beneficial to remove your filter to reduce the chance of flare.

thanks seed.will bear that in mind.

compare the 2 pictures.

one is with UV or skylight (or watever protective filter), the other, w/o.

wat diff did u see?

with_lens_flare.JPG

kiv2.JPG

great exercise, thanks!

to my (untrained) eye, seems like more light from the second photo than the first. green colour frm the leaf appears richer as well, but that could also be 'cos there's more light from the subject.

much reduced flare as well from the second photo. so i assume that's the one w/o the UV filter?

if you can recce the grounds, try and experiment different settings in different situations. Go home compare and more or less you are set for the event. As always shoot in raw for post processing.

great exercise, thanks!

to my (untrained) eye, seems like more light from the second photo than the first. green colour frm the leaf appears richer as well, but that could also be 'cos there's more light from the subject.

much reduced flare as well from the second photo. so i assume that's the one w/o the UV filter?

actually, my eyes also untrained. i am extremely insensitive towards color, contrast etc. meanwhile, i just focus on exposure, composition etc.

the difference in color may be due to the difference in light, cus light at dawn/dusk changes very fast.

ya. i saw the flare in my LCD, and quickly removed it as the light is fading fast.

if you can recce the grounds, try and experiment different settings in different situations. Go home compare and more or less you are set for the event. As always shoot in raw for post processing.

i've been in that place several times, but no camera with me. either that or severely limited by my compact digicam. meanwhile have been recce-ing for possible shots n angles since i have access to the stage and audience seating.

will be at the CH again over a few days, but have only 15 to 30 min each time for shooting. and i don't really wan to bring my camera there every day for fear of getting scolded by security. it's not exactly a photo event. am hoping to get away with one or two good shots in at most 2 sessions ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.