GND filters

takengo2003

Deregistered
Oct 6, 2003
intend to get a set of GND filters system, not sure what to get, but i heard cookin filters are good.
I will be using it on my 17-40mm on 5Dmk2 which is 77mm.

1) What will be the price breakdown for
- FILTER HOLDER RING, which screws into lens.
- FILTER HOLDER slides onto the ring
- FILTER slides into filter holder

2) Recomended shops to buy?

3) for filters slide, what are the different types, should i buy the whole set?

thanks in adavanced.

saw from the price guide, not sure the price is updated.

1) Cokin P holder (wide angle) - ($15 CP) ($20 OP)
2) Cokin P Holder - ($12 CP)
3) Cokin 1 slot Filter Holder - $16 CP
4) Cokin 3 slot Filter Holder - ($13 CP)($16 OP)
5) Cokin 77mm Adaptor Ring - ($15 CP)($16 OP)
6) Cokin Gradual ND2 (P) - ($27 CP)($35 OP)
7) Cokin Gradual ND4 (P) - ($27 CP)($35 OP)
8) Cokin Gradual ND8 (P) - ($27 CP)($35 OP)

what is the difference between Cokin 1 and 3 at #3 and #4?

saw from the price guide, not sure the price is updated.

1) Cokin P holder (wide angle) - ($15 CP) ($20 OP)
2) Cokin P Holder - ($12 CP)
3) Cokin 1 slot Filter Holder - $16 CP
4) Cokin 3 slot Filter Holder - ($13 CP)($16 OP)
5) Cokin 77mm Adaptor Ring - ($15 CP)($16 OP)
6) Cokin Gradual ND2 (P) - ($27 CP)($35 OP)
7) Cokin Gradual ND4 (P) - ($27 CP)($35 OP)
8) Cokin Gradual ND8 (P) - ($27 CP)($35 OP)

what is the difference between Cokin 1 and 3 at #3 and #4?

Prices vary quite a bit now.. All the GNDs have increased in price to around 40. Cir-Pol for P holder is $70 I think.

3 slot means you can slot in 3 filters. 1 slot means you can only slot in 1 filter. 1-slot holder is thinner, so it will vignette less for wide angle lenses. If using UWA on APS-C cameras, you must use the 1-slot wide angle holder. For canon is less problem since crop factor is 1.6. For 1.5x crop factor, some 10mm or 11mm lenses will cause vignetting issues even when used with the 1-slot wide angle holder.

BTW you are using FF camera with UWA lens. Cokin P series (84mm wide) will not be wide enough for you. You will definitely see vignetting. You will need to go for 100mm (4 inch) filters. So either Cokin Z-pro series, Hitech 100mm filters/holder or Lee foundation kit/filters. And sorry to tell you, the prices for those are quite a bit more expensive.

Last edited:
Prices vary quite a bit now.. All the GNDs have increased in price to around 40. Cir-Pol for P holder is $70 I think.

3 slot means you can slot in 3 filters. 1 slot means you can only slot in 1 filter. 1-slot holder is thinner, so it will vignette less for wide angle lenses. If using UWA on APS-C cameras, you must use the 1-slot wide angle holder. For canon is less problem since crop factor is 1.6. For 1.5x crop factor, some 10mm or 11mm lenses will cause vignetting issues even when used with the 1-slot wide angle holder.

BTW you are using FF camera with UWA lens. Cokin P series (84mm wide) will not be wide enough for you. You will definitely see vignetting. You will need to go for 100mm (4 inch) filters. So either Cokin Z-pro series, Hitech 100mm filters/holder or Lee foundation kit/filters. And sorry to tell you, the prices for those are quite a bit more expensive.

thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.

I did a search, found some people using Lee system with Hitech filters as it will give similar good results.
hmm, why? Hitech filters cheaper?

I may want to try the Lee system with hitech filters, can guide me.
What does Lee system incudes? Holder and ring?
What will be the estimated price like for Lee holders + rings and gnd hitech filters?
which gnd filters should i get for a start, heard got 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9

Last edited:
thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.

I did a search, found some people using Lee system with Hitech filters as it will give similar good results.
hmm, why? Hitech filters cheaper?

I may want to try the Lee system with hitech filters, can guide me.
What does Lee system incudes? Holder and ring?
What will be the estimated price like for Lee holders + rings and gnd hitech filters?
which gnd filters should i get for a start, heard got 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9

For all three Lee, Hitech and Cokin, the holders are sold separately from the rings.

Lee foundation kit (only the holder. expansion to 3 slots is included) cost around 120+. The adapter 77mm ring cost 70+ to 90+ depending where you buy it. Hitech holder cost around the same also, and the ring cost 60+.

Why Hitech filters are cheaper? DOn't know. You might want to give them a call or drop them an email. Actually Hitech is made by Format filters. Format Filters are high end and very expensive glass filters. Hitech is their cheaper range of resin filters.

Lee offers both glass and resin filters. But they are more expensive.

Cokin also offers 100mm resin filters. But many people have reflected that Cokin filters gives color cast. I find it true for their P series filters, but never had any experience with their Z-pro filters.

Schneider (makers of B+W filters) also makes 100m slot in filters. Their filters are all glass I think, and are so expensive that I peed my pants when I first saw their pricing...

For all three Lee, Hitech and Cokin, the holders are sold separately from the rings.

Lee foundation kit (only the holder. expansion to 3 slots is included) cost around 120+. The adapter 77mm ring cost 70+ to 90+ depending where you buy it. Hitech holder cost around the same also, and the ring cost 60+.

is Lee foundation kit holder only have 3 slots, cokin has 1 and 3 slots, 1 slot good for wide angle.
i am using for wide angle on my full frame 5Dmk2, will the Lee foundation 3 slots holders cause vignetting?

so i should buy Lee holder($120) + Lee adapter ring(about $70 to $90) + hitech GND filters

or Hitech holder($120) + Hitech ring ($60) + hitech GND filters

or Lee holders($120) + Hitech ring ($60) + hitech GND filters?

Are you using hitech GND filters too, which holders and adapter ring are you using?

i am using for wide angle on my full frame 5Dmk2, will the Lee foundation 3 slots holders cause vignetting?

No. It will be fine.

so i should buy Lee holder($120) + Lee adapter ring(about $70 to $90) + hitech GND filters

or Hitech holder($120) + Hitech ring ($60) + hitech GND filters

or Lee holders($120) + Hitech ring ($60) + hitech GND filters?

Are you using hitech GND filters too, which holders and adapter ring are you using?

Lee holder can only use Lee adapter ring. Hitech holder can only use Hitech adapter ring.

Filters don't matter. As long as they are 100mm wide. they will fit. I am using Lee holder and 77mm lee adapter ring and hitech GNDs. No particular reason, because I got them 2nd hand at a very good price.

Last edited:
No. It will be fine.

Lee holder can only use Lee adapter ring. Hitech holder can only use Hitech adapter ring.

Filters don't matter. As long as they are 100mm wide. they will fit. I am using Lee holder and 77mm lee adapter ring and hitech GNDs. No particular reason, because I got them 2nd hand at a very good price.

ok, thinking will invest on Lee holders and adapter too and get hitech filters, how much will that be for each hitech GND filters, do they sell as a set?

ok, thinking will invest on Lee holders and adapter too and get hitech filters, how much will that be for each hitech GND filters, do they sell as a set?

For Hitech filters pricing please give TK Foto a call.