GND Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

takeshi.lum

Jun 20, 2007
I am looking for GND filters but surprisingly, I cant seem to find online on Amazon and eBay. i have been to a few stores which they say must order and wait for it to arrive.

I am looking for a 52mm GND Filter. anyone can advise where can I find it?

search for Tian Ya, Cokin, Lee, Singh Ray(cheapest to most exp)

I recommend not getting the ones that are screw mount for a particular lens diameter. It is too restricting to shoot with a fixed transition point.

The common Cokin P size rectangular ones are useful

Ryan

but arent the rectangular ones abit troublesome to carry ard?

but arent the rectangular ones abit troublesome to carry ard?

I put in my breastpocket. My last trip i got a filter wallet to hold and organise my filters,

With handholding you can practically use it across the several common diameter of lenses, might be even simpler than screwmount.
There is option of using Cokin filter holders as well

The transition of a screwmount is fixed. Would you want to always compose the transition of ur picture at say 50% because the filter is as such ?

The rectangular filter has the freedom to place the transition as high or as low as you need.

Ryan

Last edited:
sorry to intrude :(
but aren't those rectangular filters have something to attach to the camera?
is it a need to buy that?
or hand holding the filter will be enough?

To TS, you tried CP?

Ryan is right, the rectangular version is more versatile. The screw on round version means you can use only on lens with that diameter, plus the transition line is fixed.

i noe its a stupid qns but is the GND filter a requirement for landscape photography?

sorry to intrude :(
but aren't those rectangular filters have something to attach to the camera?
is it a need to buy that?
or hand holding the filter will be enough?

Yes, you need to get a one filter holder + a few filter rings (depending on your lens/lenses diameter).

Having said that, I have hand held it on occassions too, just be careful not to get your fingers in the frame or smudge the filter.

i noe its a stupid qns but is the GND filter a requirement for landscape photography?

well, i would say yeah. cos you cant afford to always blow out the details in the skies.

To TS, you tried CP?

Ryan is right, the rectangular version is more versatile. The screw on round version means you can use only on lens with that diameter, plus the transition line is fixed.

tried already.. called n they say they dun hav GND filters..

Yes, you need to get a one filter holder + a few filter rings (depending on your lens/lenses diameter).

Having said that, I have hand held it on occassions too, just be careful not to get your fingers in the frame or smudge the filter.

ok, thanks! :D

I usually handhold because it is abit troublesome to setup the Cokin holder system especially when I switch lenses, and unless it is a photog trip, time is a precious commodity for me during holidays with family / gf.

Now I got my filters stacked some 75% into the picture.
You probably cannot do that with a screw mount fixed GND
And you probably cannot stack your screw mount fixed GND easily without introducing some vignetting

2408061328_3f2915a5b2.jpg

Ryan

i dun mind using the rectangular ones but they are kind of troublsome to bring ard cos i dun hav a large camera bag.. i not only need to bring the frame but the rings as well..

I usually handhold because it is abit troublesome to setup the Cokin holder system especially when I switch lenses, and unless it is a photog trip, time is a precious commodity for me during holidays with family / gf.

Now I got my filters stacked some 75% into the picture.
You probably cannot do that with a screw mount fixed GND
And you probably cannot stack your screw mount fixed GND easily without introducing some vignetting

2408061328_3f2915a5b2.jpg

Ryan

so basically u just hold and adjust the frame on ur lens?

http://jamesm.clubsnap.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4257136

It is a worthwhile investment if you are really in landscape photography.

When you get new (wider) lenses, the diameter might be different. You just need to buy a filter holder ring instead of a new round filter.

is there any where i can get these filters? wanna get frm eugene in his MO but then his collection point is really far and he cant meet in central areas..

Nice intense colours.
Like to ask, this is not done with those orange graduated version?

Nope I am not a fan of colored filters.
It is a combi of a GND with a reverse Grad filter

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.