GND Filter Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerald Lam CK

Jul 2, 2009
Admiralty
glamphotography-ck.blogspot.com
I was advised to get a gnd after my long exposure shots photos turned out to be underexposured for my foreground while taking sunset photos with my nd110. But im not sure what brand and model shd i get?

There are so many of them..the orange filter, blue and sunset filter and etc..which 1 i shd get?

I was advised to get a gnd after my long exposure shots photos turned out to be underexposured for my foreground while taking sunset photos with my nd110. But im not sure what brand and model shd i get?

There are so many of them..the orange filter, blue and sunset filter and etc..which 1 i shd get?

You do need to do a fair bit of research on the filtering...I'd suggest you start by doing a search on Graduated Neutral Density filters on the internet and its main purpose - definitely doesn't work the same way as NDs.

Yes, in your case, you do need a GND to filter out the strong light against a darker background. The problem here is, there are several strengths ranging from 0.3 to 1.2 (strongest). Ring GNDs have a fixed horizon - pretty much limits your shoots (because you need to match the scene to your filter). So the recommendation is to go for slot-in filters and adaptors (where you can position and reposition the demarcation line to your liking). Also, there is also a Hard and Soft GND (the latter with a smoother transition from clear to grey) to read on.

Forget the coloured filters (that's for creative purposes) for the time being, start with the plain grey types first. Read up on them as the information can be quite huge to digest. Ask when you need to clarify on certain issues / circumstances that you don't understand.

Last edited:
You do need to do a fair bit of research on the filtering...I'd suggest you start by doing a search on Graduated Neutral Density filters on the internet and its main purpose - definitely doesn't work the same way as NDs.

Yes, in your case, you do need a GND to filter out the strong light against a darker background. The problem here is, there are several strengths ranging from 0.3 to 1.2 (strongest). Ring GNDs have a fixed horizon - pretty much limits your shoots (because you need to match the scene to your filter). So the recommendation is to go for slot-in filters and adaptors (where you can position and reposition the demarcation line to your liking). Also, there is also a Hard and Soft GND (the latter with a smoother transition from clear to grey) to read on.

Forget the coloured filters (that's for creative purposes) for the time being, start with the plain grey types first. Read up on them as the information can be quite huge to digest. Ask when you need to clarify on certain issues / circumstances that you don't understand.

another question...can i use the gnd together with my nd110? Coz my nd110 is a 10 stop filter whereas the gnd is max abt 3 stops isit?

another question...can i use the gnd together with my nd110? Coz my nd110 is a 10 stop filter whereas the gnd is max abt 3 stops isit?

4 stops is the max for GNDs (1.2GND). Yes you can use it with ND110. But don't stack too many filters.

My suggestion (as with the seniors probably) is go with either 0.6, 0.9 or 1.2 first. Soft or hard depends on you. Hard is generally used with a very clear, sharp and flat horizon.

GND = Graduated Neutral Density. Which means they are neutral gray, and will only reduce the amount of light where it is darker. Nothing to do with color.

The color ones you mentioned are called Graduated Color filters. These are no longer necessary IMHO if you are shooting digital. you can add graduated color in PP easily. They are only used in film photography when are are trying to attain a certain specific effect.

If you want to do exposure balancing, GND are the way to go. But which one to get, really depends on your needs, and how you shoot. You need to do your calculations when at the scene and select the strength of the GND on the spot.

That said, I think the most useful ones are 2, 3 and 4 stops. But 4 stop GND are not easy to come by. I only pack a 2 stop and a 3 stop. My 1 stop GND is quite unused (bought it as a set of 3) and I leave it at home most of the time.

GND = Graduated Neutral Density. Which means they are neutral gray, and will only reduce the amount of light where it is darker. Nothing to do with color.

The color ones you mentioned are called Graduated Color filters. These are no longer necessary IMHO if you are shooting digital. you can add graduated color in PP easily. They are only used in film photography when are are trying to attain a certain specific effect.

If you want to do exposure balancing, GND are the way to go. But which one to get, really depends on your needs, and how you shoot. You need to do your calculations when at the scene and select the strength of the GND on the spot.

That said, I think the most useful ones are 2, 3 and 4 stops. But 4 stop GND are not easy to come by. I only pack a 2 stop and a 3 stop. My 1 stop GND is quite unused (bought it as a set of 3) and I leave it at home most of the time.

For instance for this photo which i have recently taken..can a gnd lighten up the foreground?

lp13_2.jpg

For instance for this photo which i have recently taken..can a gnd lighten up the foreground?

Just remember GND darken part of the frame. It is up to you where you want to place the GND.

GND doesn't light up anything. It just darkens part of the frame. You then use a slightly longer shutter speed to get a longer exposure to make sure the part not cover is exposed more.

Last edited:

lp13_2.jpg

imho, yes it can... because the horizon is straight... but not sure how the reflection turn out...

hmm..okok. looks like i need to purchase and try it out. thx dude

remember not to buy the screw on type.

But a filter holder, and get the rectangular slot-in type.

Cokin, Tianya, Lee and hitech are the popular brands.

Why the rectangular slot-in type better than the screw on type? :think:

remember not to buy the screw on type.

But a filter holder, and get the rectangular slot-in type.

Cokin, Tianya, Lee and hitech are the popular brands.

Why the rectangular slot-in type better than the screw on type? :think:

Because you can position the GND horizon line by pushing up and down the filter plate.... Screw on type, the horizon line is fixed. Not everyone's going to put the horizon dead center in the Viewfinder, but screw on type assumes everyone's going to do just that! Plus at times, you might want adjust the filter a bit (pull up or down) so that you get the intensity and horizon fit just right (slot in filter allows you that freedom). With screw on, you have to adjust the view to fit the GND... reversed role isn't it?

Because you can position the GND horizon line by pushing up and down the filter plate.... Screw on type, the horizon line is fixed. Not everyone's going to put the horizon dead center in the Viewfinder, but screw on type assumes everyone's going to do just that! Plus at times, you might want adjust the filter a bit (pull up or down) so that you get the intensity and horizon fit just right (slot in filter allows you that freedom). With screw on, you have to adjust the view to fit the GND... reversed role isn't it?

Thanks for the detailed explanation bro... actually I was trying to make him think and do a self-discovery. ;) :bsmilie:

Nevermind la. spoonfeed already feed already loh. wat to do. ;) :bsmilie:

Yealor, must learn to be more mean a bit! Or else, spoonfeeding until macam personal coaching level... :bsmilie:

Edit: Any news of the Big Stopper yet? My neck is almost as long as a giraffe already... Called, but lady in charge on leave.

Last edited:
Yealor, must learn to be more mean a bit! Or else, spoonfeeding until macam personal coaching level... :bsmilie:

Edit: Any news of the Big Stopper yet? My neck is almost as long as a giraffe already... Called, but lady in charge on leave.

No la. not mean la. Spoon feeding is mean-er.

If a man is hungry, give him a fish feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and feed him forever.

No la. not mean la. Spoon feeding is mean-er.

If a man is hungry, give him a fish feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and feed him forever.

It's in Italics bro... When I mean MEAN, I meant the MEAN you mean, get it? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.