GND Filter Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for explanation. Just happened that I passed by this thread and at the same time I had a question in mind so I just asked like that. Well, regarding spoon feed or not, you have to see the purpose of this "Newbie Corner" section. Actually all the informations are in the internet and everyone can take time google them. If spoon feed is not allowed, this Newbie Corner is useless then because all newbies will be told to google and find out answers on their own. Maybe if you don't like to teach or share, you should not come into this Newbie Corner.

Last edited:
Thanks for explanation. Just happened that I passed by this thread and at the same time I had a question in mind so I just asked like that. Well, regarding spoon feed or not, you have to see the purpose of this "Newbie Corner" section. Actually all the informations are in the internet and everyone can take time google them. If spoon feed is not allowed, this Newbie Corner is useless then because all newbies will be told to google and find out answers on their own. Maybe if you don't like to teach or share, you should not come into this Newbie Corner.

spoon feed - as in giving you the entire explanation.

Not to spoonfeed - as in asking you a question back, so you will think why... and discover the answer yourself.

Please read the posts before throwing out statements like that. Did I ever ask you to go Google??????

Goodness.. :eek:

Nevermind. I guess you are the spoonfed type. I will leave others to come spoonfeed you in the future... since you have the opinion I am not doing justice to newbie section...

Last edited:
It's okay I don't mind how you think of me because we don't know each other. Well, at the first place, in my question, I didn't ask for an entire explanation. Did I? I never complain that your answer is not good either.
After you gave a very detailed explanation but then you also screwed me back that I'm spoon-feed type, well, I really don't know what to say. You have made my day :thumbsup:
I've met a new type of people in this world. A valuable lesson gained in my life. Thanks dude.:sweat:

spoon feed - as in giving you the entire explanation.

Not to spoonfeed - as in asking you a question back, so you will think why... and discover the answer yourself.

Goodness.. :eek:

Nevermind. I guess you are the spoonfed type.

Take it easy man. I'm sure DD123 has his point, don't take it the wrong way. My bad, I try to give some bits of information to jump-start the search - not the whole lot. It takes time to type it all out from the top of one's head. But when one does it - it tends to draw out too much, leading to just giving everything (well most) you need. In the long run, one may come back for more. If someone doesn't come out and help, he/she might feel entirely lost or feel that nobody wants to help him/her. Negativities in the longer run that is.

So, do chill lad. Nobody's NOT trying to help, the message between DD123 and me has become too askewed leading to mis-com. It's all too easy to screw up on communications these days especially on the internet.

Last edited:
It's ok. I'm just shocked that after I asked a short question, I was crowned as a spoon-feed person. Moreover, it is just the only one question I have asked in this thread. It's so insulting. I don't know what you would think of those people who have asked more than one question in this thread. :sweat:

It's ok. I'm just shocked that after I asked a short question, I was crowned as a spoon-feed person. Moreover, it is just the only one question I have asked in this thread. It's so insulting. I don't know what you would think of those people who have asked more than one question in this thread. :sweat:

Oh, I've been there, done it... myself as well. :) So, I understand how you feel. But take it easy lad. It's not just happening here but a number of forums of different hobby and passion as well. Miscommunications, newbies feeling threatened, seniors getting short tempered, people hate each other, politicking, the works...

This case, I've overdone the helping part thus drawing fire from DD123. (note the Italics, okay?) Understandable, it is the culture we're trying to avoid.

Either way, both of you need to take a step back (myself included) and don't feast on all this negativity. Why is it so damn easy to make enemies and not friends?? Singapore is THAT much of a pressure cooker isit? That even on the internet, we can't get along??...bummer... So... cool it...

Last edited:
kriegsketten,

No worries. Have a good friday tomorrow! ;)

kriegsketten,

No worries. Have a good friday tomorrow! ;)

Thank you, and you too!

If we really want to shoot, go outside and shoot the world with your DSLR... okay? ;)

That goes for you too DD123, even though you must be thanking me for the mess I
I've created. :bsmilie:

I didn't crown you as spoon-fed because of your initial question. I said you are spoon-fed after your insinuation in bold red. And if you asked why, I will tell you straight off that I took offence at insinuations you made from the statement you said (which I highlighted in bold red). So maybe you need to read through all the posts between kreig and myself to understand what is going on and what we are really saying, so you can get the facts straight, before you shoot your mouth off about whether I like or don't like to teach or share or whether I should or should not come into newbies corner.

Last edited:
Take it easy man. I'm sure DD123 has his point, don't take it the wrong way. My bad, I try to give some bits of information to jump-start the search - not the whole lot. It takes time to type it all out from the top of one's head. But when one does it - it tends to draw out too much, leading to just giving everything (well most) you need. In the long run, one may come back for more. If someone doesn't come out and help, he/she might feel entirely lost or feel that nobody wants to help him/her. Negativities in the longer run that is.

So, do chill lad. Nobody's NOT trying to help, the message between DD123 and me has become too askewed leading to mis-com. It's all too easy to screw up on communications these days especially on the internet.

Kreig bro, please see my post above, as to the reason why I am pissed.

Nothing to do with you. It was his response I am very unhappy with.

It is times like these, dealing with people like that, that some of us wonder why we even help newbies sometimes. Do it for free, for the passion, and see how we get treated? :dunno:

Ya. Like what he said, maybe I should not step into newbies corner. Why we even bother trying to give back to the community?

Oh, I've been there, done it... myself as well. :) So, I understand how you feel. But take it easy lad. It's not just happening here but a number of forums of different hobby and passion as well. Miscommunications, newbies feeling threatened, seniors getting short tempered, people hate each other, politicking, the works...

This case, I've overdone the helping part thus drawing fire from DD123. (note the Italics, okay?) Understandable, it is the culture we're trying to avoid.

Either way, both of you need to take a step back (myself included) and don't feast on all this negativity. Why is it so damn easy to make enemies and not friends?? Singapore is THAT much of a pressure cooker isit? That even on the internet, we can't get along??...bummer... So... cool it...

Thank you, and you too!

If we really want to shoot, go outside and shoot the world with your DSLR... okay? ;)

That goes for you too DD123, even though you must be thanking me for the mess I
I've created. :bsmilie:

Woah..kriegsketten r u a negotiator by profession? haha..well it's just different ppl with different reactions to interpretations that somewhat may seems harsh but yet it's not malicious...so cool down!! Thx for all yr contributions!! :)

Well, please look at the sequence of the posts and see who started the fire first. I never come in to the thread to purposely ask for quarrel.

Nevermind la. spoonfeed already feed already loh. wat to do. ;) :bsmilie:

Yealor, must learn to be more mean a bit! Or else, spoonfeeding until macam personal coaching level... :bsmilie:

Edit: Any news of the Big Stopper yet? My neck is almost as long as a giraffe already... Called, but lady in charge on leave.

No la. not mean la. Spoon feeding is mean-er.

If a man is hungry, give him a fish feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and feed him forever.

The conversations between you and kriegsketten don't respect a newbie like me who asked one and the only one question. Maybe you don't feel it or don't mean it, but when I read these conversations, I was totally pissed off and that's why I jumped in to defend myself. Going forward the newbie won't dare to ask question already because he doesn't know if the conversations above will be going on again.

Last edited:

trying to push a culture of newbies being proactive in their learning process... instead of just opening the mouth and chirping like a young baby bird asking for food.... i think there's nothing wrong with that.

maybe people will get a little perturbed why in this day and age, where the internet is lauded by all alike as a good resource for knowledge, especially the younger generation... people don't bother to look. so what are they using the internet for? p0rn? facebook? that is so sad, you have a good tool at your fingertips, and you are just not employing it to the fullest potential.

no need to be so sensitive.

in a perfect world, there would only be clarifications in newbies corner. the reason for this is that there is a lot of literature out there - whether in print or internet, that is written for the sole purpose of education. this would give you a much better understanding, since it is much more clearly written and less ad hoc and curt than the replies you might get online.

for example, every book on filters would more or less detail out the different types of gnd, and would have already explained why a slot in is more popular than a screw in type filter.

i only speak for myself, i can't speak for others, but when i tell people that google is their best friend, there is no intention of being condescending. this is how i learnt, this is how loads of people learnt... and more often than not, the people who learnt in such a way progress much faster, and to a deeper level in the long run.

hope you understand where i'm coming from. cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed explanation bro... actually I was trying to make him think and do a self-discovery. ;) :bsmilie:

Ok I getit, i'm the spoil-sport...

Nevermind la. spoonfeed already feed already loh. wat to do. ;) :bsmilie:

Yealor, must learn to be more mean a bit! Or else, spoonfeeding until macam personal coaching level...

Edit: Any news of the Big Stopper yet? My neck is almost as long as a giraffe already... Called, but lady in charge on leave.

No la. not mean la. Spoon feeding is mean-er.

If a man is hungry, give him a fish feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and feed him forever.

Mr kentwong81,

Which part of our conversations (reproduced here in quotes) are offensive to a newbie? And why is it offensive? There is nothing in here to de-mean newbies. Nothing in here to tell newbies to go Google things themselves. Nothing in here to suggest we will not give the answer. All I said here was I want to answer the question in a thought provoking way so you can do some self discovery through thinking it through. Is that a bad thing? And where in this line of conversation do we not respect newbie? Point it out.

But look at your response:

"Well, regarding spoon feed or not, you have to see the purpose of this "Newbie Corner" section. Actually all the informations are in the internet and everyone can take time google them. If spoon feed is not allowed, this Newbie Corner is useless then because all newbies will be told to google and find out answers on their own. Maybe if you don't like to teach or share, you should not come into this Newbie Corner."

You wrote that. And because you made a direct insinuation of me and my character, now you owe me some answers to these questions:

1. Did I ever once tell you or any other newbie in this thread to go Google things themselves?

2. Was I forthcoming or not in this thread with answers to questions?

3. How did you come to the conclusion I do not like to teach or share?

4. Is it in your place to tell me that I should not come into this 'Newbie Corner'?

5. You said I did not respect Newbies but are unable to show proof that I did so. But let me ask you, did you respect me as a Clubsnap member? Did you respect me as a Senior member? Did you respect me as someone volunteering time and effort to help answer questions?

5. By asking another question in response to your question, so as to help you come to the right answer. Is that wrong?

6. Do I have an obligation to give you a spoon feeding answer? in other words, Do I owe you anything in life?

These are the key points in this disagreement. Answer them before we move on. If you can't answer them, I think you owe me an apology.

Last edited:
relax guys. actually, you can do a search to get your answers. don't even need to get out of the forum, just use the forum search function.

The reason behind not spoonfeeding is so tt people learn more. as people DO learn more when learning through exploration or self discovery. For example, a student who always do his own work in contrast to a student who copies other people's work. Who do you think will score better in examinations. It's actually for your own good.

I read through all the posts and I didn't find them insulting or disresprecful. First of all, no names were mentioned, and by quoting THESE few comments, you left out the comment tt DD123 wanted to let you learn more through self discovery.

You may think tt some seniors are hostile or look down on newbies. I can assure you kreigs and DD123 are not a part of them. Wait till you meet the more hostile ones. Maybe before you comment on them or their viewpoints you want to check out what they have been doing for newbies? No matter how little you know about them, at least they didn't waste their time and your time in typing a very simple answer, "Go Google for it.". Right?

We just have to accept that different people from different walks of life may have very different perspectives. So, respect the diversity. We may learn more.;)

Peace

Last edited:
Bro DD123 or n86m...can help me with one simple query? I've have a free sample ND8 from Hoya and was trying out sunset shots on a tripod. The problem is that everything above the horizon looks ok but the foreground (ie below the horizon is underexposed and the whole image is a bit soft like as if it is out of focus. There's no diff whether the VR is on or off. I'm using 30sec exposure taken at 7:15pm. BTW I'm using D60 with 35mm f1.8.:cry:

Bro DD123 or n86m...can help me with one simple query? I've have a free sample ND8 from Hoya and was trying out sunset shots on a tripod. The problem is that everything above the horizon looks ok but the foreground (ie below the horizon is underexposed and the whole image is a bit soft like as if it is out of focus. There's no diff whether the VR is on or off. I'm using 30sec exposure taken at 7:15pm. BTW I'm using D60 with 35mm f1.8.:cry:

ND filter darkens the the entire frame. It is meant to increase shutter speed so you can smooth out waves... etc.. It will do nothing for balancing exposures between bright and dark areas of the frame.

When using higher ND, you need to use manual focus. Get your focus right and keep it there. VR needs to be off when on a tripod. Your UV/protector needs to be removed before putting the ND on. And remember to stop down your aperture to around F11 to F16 if possible. Try those and see if it sorts your issue.

In fact, after I got the 1st reply for the question I asked, I went to google for more details and I got this:

http://www.nathangriffin.com/technical/how_to_graduated_nd.htm

Yes, can't deny that the intention is good that a newbie should learn to google for information himself or learn himself. The thing is, after you teach or give some hints to the newbie, you shouldn't talk something bad or nasty about the newbie (refer to the posts above before I jumped in to defend myself). This is what I feel. You may not feel it or understand it because you are in my shoes.

Another thing is, I never encounter such thing in Dpreview.com forum for 2 years. Okay, I think I should leave this forum for good now. Peace.

Last edited:
In fact, after I got the 1st reply for the question I asked, I went to google for more details and I got this:

http://www.nathangriffin.com/technical/how_to_graduated_nd.htm

Yes, can't deny that the intention is good that a newbie should learn to google for information himself or learn himself. The thing is, after you teach or give some hints to the newbie, you shouldn't talk something bad or nasty about the newbie (refer to the posts above before I jumped in to defend myself). This is what I feel. You may not feel it or understand it because you are in my shoes.

Another thing is, I never encounter such thing in Dpreview.com forum. Okay, I think I should leave this forum for good now. Peace.

At which point did we talk nasty things about you?? Point it out with quotes please.

At which point did we ask you to go google the info yourself??

And answer my questions in post #34.

I think that's enough.
Thread closed.
I will infract those who want to continue arguing here.

Those who wants to enquire about GND, please start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.