Gnd / cpl / b+w

rebelriot

Aug 4, 2010
hi all.

ithis might sound noobish but im still keen to know , in a simple layman term, the function of the above filters.

im new here, and have did some research and reading. read what is polarizer but then wanna know more about the above 3.

when to use it?
what is the effect/result of putting this filters?
any recommendations on the brand?

by the way im using kit lens, 18-55mm. how do i check the size of filter i need to buy?

hi all.

ithis might sound noobish but im still keen to know , in a simple layman term, the function of the above filters.

im new here, and have did some research and reading. read what is polarizer but then wanna know more about the above 3.

when to use it?

by the way im using kit lens, 18-55mm. how do i check the size of filter i need to buy?

Well, this might sound snobbish... but since you're able to identify the acronyms, why not do a google on any of the above?

To improve your search - try keying in:
Graduated Neutral Density filters or GND filters (for GND)
Circular Polariser or CPL filters (for CPL)
and B+W filters (this is a particular brand, of many brands, that produces ND, GND and CPL filters)

Last edited:
hi all.

when to use it?

Hope this helps. Your 18-55 filter size is 58mm. It is reflected at the front of your lens.

Is there a need to put a "stickie" here for all to understand? Just realised there isn't any, or did I missed it?

TS, for GNDs, you might want to consider getting the slot-in holder system (Lee/Hitech/Singhray/Cokin/Tianya brands for some reading).

Well, this might sound snobbish... but since you're able to identify the acronyms, why not do a google on any of the above?

and B+W filters (this is a particular brand, of many brands, that produces ND, GND and CPL filters)

oh okay. becase im leaving for hong kong tomorrow, i would like to know as fast as i could about the purpose of those fillters,and of which, are beter /more recommended ones.

since hk is cheaper, probably will buy a few back to use it. im new in photography and have so far been only using UV filter. hence would like to ask around.

TS as what kriegs has mentioned, you could do a search. I still do tt often to do research on filters. Haha. But put simply,

GND : A filter ( slot-in or screw-on type) is a piece of resin/glass that is half clear half tinted. The graduation of the tinted part allows you to expose the bottom part of your composed picture correct, yet preventing the sky from being over-exposed. For this purpose, a screw-on type is not of much use since your horizon will be fixed.

CPL : CPL ( I don't know about Linear Polarizers) allows you to cut off reflections by turning the front piece. Seniors pls correct me if I'm wrong.

B+W : A brand of filters.

Seniors pls correct me wherever I'm wrong

oh okay. becase im leaving for hong kong tomorrow, i would like to know as fast as i could about the purpose of those fillters,and of which, are beter /more recommended ones.

since hk is cheaper, probably will buy a few back to use it. im new in photography and have so far been only using UV filter. hence would like to ask around.

You're cutting it too close... whatever bit of information you can squeeze out of this may not be the ones you are hoping for... There is no clear answers as to which system or brand would benefit you mostsince we hardly know you (your wants, purpose of usage, seriousness in photography,etc)

Last edited:
TS as what kriegs has mentioned, you could do a search. I still do tt often to do research on filters. Haha. But put simply,

GND : A filter ( slot-in or screw-on type) is a piece of resin/glass that is half clear half tinted. The graduation of the tinted part allows you to expose the bottom part of your composed picture correct, yet preventing the sky from being over-exposed. For this purpose, a screw-on type is not of much use since your horizon will be fixed.

CPL : CPL ( I don't know about Linear Polarizers) allows you to cut off reflections by turning the front piece. Seniors pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Not a senior, but yes - that just about sums it up. CPL - you need to mention non-metallic surface reflections. Glare from windows, water surface, etc.

so GND for shooting sky, and CPL for shooting sea ?

i also read about screw in or slot in type for GND, and for cpl, linear and circular.
though im not very well verse in all this, im just curious, shouldnt they be fix onto the lens just like the hoya uv filter?

Last edited:
so GND for shooting sky, and CPL for shooting sea ?

Correction, GND is for part-sky/part-land (generally speaking). If completely sky, there is lesser (or no) need for GND.

CPL : is to filter the glares from the sea, windows AND even sky .... for digital cameras - use ONLY Circular - linear are for film SLRs...

Yes, the circular ones fit on to the lens front like your UV filter. The slot-in ones you need a holder + ring adaptor.

Last edited:
Correction, GND is for part-sky/part-land (generally speaking). If completely sky, there is lesser (or no) need for GND.

CPL : is to filter the glares from the sea, windows AND even sky .... for digital cameras - use ONLY Circular - linear are for film SLRs...

Yes, the circular ones fit on to the lens front like your UV filter. The slot-in ones you need a holder + ring adaptor.

oh yeah. forgot about tt part. anyway you are a senior to me. haha. TS maybe you shouldn't rush into getting filters first. First decide on whether you're really into landscapes or not. If not, I guess you won't have much use for GND and ND. But if you are into landscapes, there's a lot to read up and to gain knowledge on.:)

edited due to mistake. asking TS to rush instead of not rushing. mistake corrected

Last edited:
oh yeah. forgot about tt part. anyway you are a senior to me. haha. TS maybe you should rush into getting filters first. First decide on whether you're really into landscapes or not. If not, I guess you won't have much use for GND and ND. But if you are into landscapes, there's a lot to read up and to gain knowledge on.:)

Not senior enough, still learning and sharing what I know.

In fact, I'd slow down on getting the filters as they are rather un-simplistic, to say the least. Takes experience to harness their capabilities. At this moment I'm still pondering whether I should get the ring-type CPL or just get the square type (pretty ex) to be used on its own... That is why I say one shouldn't rush into the filters that soon without fully understand everything. Or else it's BBB, SSS, BBB, and so on...

Last edited:
Not senior enough, still learning and sharing what I know.

In fact, I'd slow down on getting the filters as they are rather un-simplistic, to say the least. Takes experience to harness their capabilities. At this moment I'm still pondering whether I should get the ring-type CPL or just get the square type (pretty ex) to be used on its own... That is why I say one shouldn't rush into the filters that soon without fully understand everything. Or else it's BBB, SSS, BBB, and so on...

sorry. meant to say shouldn't rush into getting the filters. left out the important 2 letter and '. haha.

More than 1 thread about this filter thing ... make effort to scroll and browse and read.

Putting in some effort to dig for the information makes the discovery so much sweeter!

Will there be any situation where one places a GND upside down with tint below and clear on top to get more exposure for a dawn sky and less strong lights from below horizon?
An example would be maybe at MBS??? The lights below blown out while still trying to get the outlines of the dark clouds. Please correct me if this will be a stupid idea and instead maybe do the black card thingy would be more ideal.

I am still trying to get a slot in to the dawn outings for newbies but there are all so popular.

Will there be any situation where one places a GND upside down with tint below and clear on top to get more exposure for a dawn sky and less strong lights from below horizon?
An example would be maybe at MBS??? The lights below blown out while still trying to get the outlines of the dark clouds. Please correct me if this will be a stupid idea and instead maybe do the black card thingy would be more ideal.

I am still trying to get a slot in to the dawn outings for newbies but there are all so popular.

I shot MBS during the blue hour. I don't think my lights are blown. At least, tt's what I think.

This is my take. Not well done, another shot will be taken after the construction has been cleared.:)

You can also go on your own. Don't really have to wait for outings. Or you can organise your own outing.:)

There is one type of GND called reversed GND - very ex and not many producers make them - only Hitech so far (I think). Do a google to get a look of it.

I believe it aims to do what you've just described.

There is one type of GND called reversed GND - very ex and not many producers make them - only Hitech so far (I think). Do a google to get a look of it.

I believe it aims to do what you've just described.

Singh Ray also has Reverse ND filter.
http://www.singh-ray.com/reversegrads.html