Glue for lightseals

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernardsia

Sep 30, 2004
Does anybody know what type of glue should be used for lightseals? I bought a bottle of gel type super glue but thought against using it. What kind of glue will bond yet not corrode the paint and metal?

super glue or epoxy works in a way to bond the 2 material together... have you considered silicon paste? can easily remove them & its water proof... but need to know which ones to get. & some have rather pungent smell... you win some you lose some...

i like to use something called "Kwikgrip" from Selleys. it's like rubber cement, you put it on let it dry for a few minutes then press on the foam to stick. good thing about it is that it's not runny or liquid, but you have to be careful cause it gets pretty stretchy.

I went out to buy a tube of silicon. Gosh the thing smells like a rotting whale. I paused for a moment and decided stinky cameras is not my thing. I went to the the friendly neighbourhood as beng hardware shop and told the auntie my problem. She recommended me a 'Contact Cement' by a brand called Yamayo. It supposedly won't 'eat' into the paint and metal of the camera.

patch17, I believe it should be the same thing you mentioned. I have not tried it yet. I'll probably do it tomorrow afternoon.

u can try epoxy glue.
there is a version of epoxy glue that is used to bond metals (black colour). It is odourless and strong.

Only down side: takes a day to fully dry.

contact cement if for mirror seal, no need glue for light seal on the door.

Does the sponge stay by itself? The sponge I have doesn't come with any adhesive.

bernardsia said:
Does anybody know what type of glue should be used for lightseals? I bought a bottle of gel type super glue but thought against using it. What kind of glue will bond yet not corrode the paint and metal?

Hi Bernard,

Personally, I would advise not to use glue as it always get pretty messy, esp if u r playing around the shutter :p Find those materials with adhesive side, eg those black cotton/frabic materials for chair/table legs....dunno what is the exact name. Another way is to use double side tapes if u r using some black wool.

I fix my old FM light leak problem with the above material, works perfectly for me. Can't imagine those shops actually quoted me $80 to fix that leak.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks Camedia,

Well I actually ordered a pack of light seals from Japan. They used to sell it as a kit, including glue and cutter. But now they ship just the foam without adhesives. I don't quite dare use just any materials out there, as some of my cameras are for collection. What works today might eat into the paint and metal in a few years.

I am sure everybody has seen stains left behind by innocent looking double sided tape after a few years. On the other hand, whatever they used on the Yashica 35 left no mark even after more then 20 years.

Glue vapour is known to fog lenses. Better do your research properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.