Glowing Eyes

litlefiter

Feb 13, 2010
Singapore
www.flickr.com
5349015710_86169d95e8_z.jpg

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
I would like feedback on the composition and the editting choices i made for this picture (the black and white background)

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I hope to capture the glow of the cat's eyes and his mesmorizing gaze towards me.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
When I saw this cat staring at me from a distance, i quickly pointed my camera at it and snapped a picture. I did not the chance to take another picture of it before it leapt away. I diffused a flash to add some fill light for its eyes, to emphasize the glow.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I personally think the picture is quite well done, considering it is my first time that i took a picture of a cat.

Thank you!

Last edited:
hi. i would say a tighter crop of the cat's face would look scarier. right now it looks small in the frame that it's not so intimidating. anyways, did you do anything to the eyes?

I dunno if my suggestion got use. But i thought if the background is of lighter colour then, the cat would stand out more. Of course at that point in time u cant change the wall colour lah.

I find the background underexposed. As the cat fur is dark brown and black, thus at first glance of the picture, will need a 1-2 seconds to adjust to see the outline of the cat.

hi. i would say a tighter crop of the cat's face would look scarier. right now it looks small in the frame that it's not so intimidating. anyways, did you do anything to the eyes?

I would have to agree with you on the cropping. For the eyes, i increased the brightness on it and gave it a little saturation boost.

I dunno if my suggestion got use. But i thought if the background is of lighter colour then, the cat would stand out more. Of course at that point in time u cant change the wall colour lah.

I can actually brighten the colour of the wall in photoshop, but I thought that if i changed it to b&w, it would focus more on the cat.

I find the background underexposed. As the cat fur is dark brown and black, thus at first glance of the picture, will need a 1-2 seconds to adjust to see the outline of the cat.

I realised that i made this mistake after i posted this photo >< learnt my lesson, next time i will have to take note of the exposure when editting.

Thanks for the comments!

First of all not a lot of great constrast between brick wall and the cat. Best you can do is to meter off a small-area reading with a known mid-tone value ( the platform on which the cat stands), lock metering if necessary and then shoot.......

First of all not a lot of great constrast between brick wall and the cat. Best you can do is to meter off a small-area reading with a known mid-tone value ( the platform on which the cat stands), lock metering if necessary and then shoot.......

thanks for the tip! will try it out the next time i go shooting