Glowing Eyes

Feb 13, 2010
Singapore
www.flickr.com

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
I would like feedback on the composition and the editting choices i made for this picture (the black and white background)

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I hope to capture the glow of the cat's eyes and his mesmorizing gaze towards me.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
When I saw this cat staring at me from a distance, i quickly pointed my camera at it and snapped a picture. I did not the chance to take another picture of it before it leapt away. I diffused a flash to add some fill light for its eyes, to emphasize the glow.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I personally think the picture is quite well done, considering it is my first time that i took a picture of a cat.

Thank you!

Last edited:

kei1309

Apr 12, 2010
Earth
www.facebook.com
hi. i would say a tighter crop of the cat's face would look scarier. right now it looks small in the frame that it's not so intimidating. anyways, did you do anything to the eyes?

nitewalk

Staff member
May 31, 2010
Singapore
I dunno if my suggestion got use. But i thought if the background is of lighter colour then, the cat would stand out more. Of course at that point in time u cant change the wall colour lah.

kwttan

Jan 8, 2010
Concrete jungle
I find the background underexposed. As the cat fur is dark brown and black, thus at first glance of the picture, will need a 1-2 seconds to adjust to see the outline of the cat.

Feb 13, 2010
Singapore
www.flickr.com
hi. i would say a tighter crop of the cat's face would look scarier. right now it looks small in the frame that it's not so intimidating. anyways, did you do anything to the eyes?
I would have to agree with you on the cropping. For the eyes, i increased the brightness on it and gave it a little saturation boost.

I dunno if my suggestion got use. But i thought if the background is of lighter colour then, the cat would stand out more. Of course at that point in time u cant change the wall colour lah.
I can actually brighten the colour of the wall in photoshop, but I thought that if i changed it to b&w, it would focus more on the cat.

I find the background underexposed. As the cat fur is dark brown and black, thus at first glance of the picture, will need a 1-2 seconds to adjust to see the outline of the cat.
I realised that i made this mistake after i posted this photo >< learnt my lesson, next time i will have to take note of the exposure when editting.

Thanks for the comments!

Abbot Man

Aug 4, 2009
gallery.me.com
First of all not a lot of great constrast between brick wall and the cat. Best you can do is to meter off a small-area reading with a known mid-tone value ( the platform on which the cat stands), lock metering if necessary and then shoot.......

Feb 13, 2010
Singapore
www.flickr.com
First of all not a lot of great constrast between brick wall and the cat. Best you can do is to meter off a small-area reading with a known mid-tone value ( the platform on which the cat stands), lock metering if necessary and then shoot.......
thanks for the tip! will try it out the next time i go shooting

Top Bottom