Glossy or matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterfly

Sep 9, 2002
Visit site
Which one do u guys normal use for your prints? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

I always choose gloss. Looks good. But keeps bad - the prints tend to stick on your album clear plastic. Very difficult to remove and the bubbles formed make it hard to see the pic properly. Matt does not have this problem but looks duller. Also when u scan, the gloss looks terrible without any editing cos the reflection from the gloss layer causes a white sheen on the scan... matt does not have this problem...

I use Matt.

I used to use lustre but have since changed to glossy. Think the pictures are clearer and sharper not to mention that the colours seem to stand out more.

The only problem like TME mentioned is that is sticks to the plastic of some albums but that can be solve if you use good quality albums. The ones given by the shops are usually not good and the pictures will stick.

As for scanning, I'm not too sure about that. I use a film scanner so I do not face any reflections from the pictures.

coke21 said:
.. but that can be solve if you use good quality albums. The ones given by the shops are usually not good and the pictures will stick.
Oh! May I know what kind of "high qualify album" do you use? Becos for me, all the ablums that I bought (including so-called high-quality ones at high price), the glossy photos still stick to the plastic after some time.

OK, if my clients want the photos to be put in albums with plastic sleeves, I'll print matt. But if they want to have photos pasted in portfolio ablum (those without plastic sleeves and you need double -sided tape to paste onto its page), I'll print in glossy.

Frankly, I like glossy print better because their color is richer. And to prove the worth of your lens, print in matts. Matt print can be merciless with consumer lens, but with pro lens, the sharpness is awesome.

Sorry to disappoint you...:D I get my albums from Australia. Usually get someone to bring it over for me when ever they visit there. It costs around 30 bucks and can put 300 photos. Saw something similar at Borders the last time.

Its design is plain and simple. Just brown. Like brown paper kind of texture.
I'm sure you can find other good albums ard. Just need to look. :D

I use MATT for portraits and GLOSSY for landscapes.

I feel that Glossy prints have more detail and are sharper.

Matt is useful if you want to mount it behind glass or other transparent layer. Glossy makes the pic appear sharper. So it depends on what you want to do with the final print.

TME said:
I always choose gloss. Looks good. But keeps bad - the prints tend to stick on your album clear plastic. Very difficult to remove and the bubbles formed make it hard to see the pic properly. Matt does not have this problem but looks duller. Also when u scan, the gloss looks terrible without any editing cos the reflection from the gloss layer causes a white sheen on the scan... matt does not have this problem...
I use both, depending on the mood that I want to invoke. For b/w pictures, I prefer matt, glossy for bold, strong, colors.

As for glossy pic sticking to glass or plastic, fixers or the to be released R800 with its built-in gloss-optimizer should reduce if not eliminate this issue.

i will use glossy if i wish to do cold lamination on the photo.
or else i still prefer matt....easier to handle and last longer. :)

umm i dunt noe if I observed wrongly....but i find that after developing glossy prints...if u leave them around (need not be exposed to the air...in their orig envelop the shop gave them to u in would be enuff) for 1 or 2 days before putting them into the albums...they will not stick....

CityStone said:
umm i dunt noe if I observed wrongly....but i find that after developing glossy prints...if u leave them around (need not be exposed to the air...in their orig envelop the shop gave them to u in would be enuff) for 1 or 2 days before putting them into the albums...they will not stick....

this is what i find out so far......kodak and fuji photo papers are more kind of sticky compare to konica photo paper........or one takes longer time to get stick onto the album sleeves then the other. i did try them placing in the dry box for a few days before inserting them into the photo album and after a week or more the sticky problem happens. after all, matt finished photo still looks as good as a glossy photo when view in an album. ;)

Yeah, gloss is richer in colour and sharpness.... matt looks dull even with Fuji film.... each to his own I guess.... only problem is how to get rid of this stickiness...

Status
Not open for further replies.