Glossy or Matt print ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

S11loop

Feb 11, 2005
Pasir Ris
which do u guys choose when printing yr photo and whats the reason behind it ? i believe each got their own gd but not sure which is suitable for me ;)

Glossy generally looks better, but fingerprints may stick. Matt is supposedly more durable.

matt for me.. when u stick it into albums with the plastic covering, it looks slightly glossy already.. works fer me~

Matt cause I don't like fingerprints on my photos. :nono:

i prefer glossy prints. i find they scann much better on the flatbed.

Matt for me. No ugly fingerprints. ;)

I chose the presentation that best communicate my intention.

Finger prints etc are all secondary as far as I am concern.

i also want to know wats the diff between glossy and matt?

the matt has a little bit of texture. looks good for portraiture shots. and they look pretty classy too. for gloss prints , got to take care and not let fingerprints go all over it.

also notice that glossy can be very seriously damage by a little bit of water...

S11loop said:
also notice that glossy can be very seriously damage by a little bit of water...

have to agree on this... saliva = little bit of water. especially if they are printed on inkjet printers... lagi worse.

i would like to know the difference in the case of quality and which is prefered. :think:

Personally, i think quality wise not much difference. Just personal preference - I like glossy for general landscape etc but matt for B&Ws.

Go print the same pics on both and judge for yourself :)

shots printed on glossy usually appears sharper and the colours more vibrant...If it's B&W, i think matte will work better

Again a matter of opinions and preferences.

In black & white, particularly those done traditionally, most prefer glossy. You will hardly find exhibition grade prints or art works in matt.

The reason is that matt surface scatters light, and do not give a brilliance to the image. Another very important reason is that with the matt surface, blacks are not black and whites not white, reducing tonal range.

There are some who prefer a matt print, mainly for conveying certain moods.

But in general, for black & white traditional prints, glossy is the norm and prefered surface.

aspire said:
i would like to know the difference in the case of quality and which is prefered. :think:

there's no "preferred" one in this case.. cos it would be YOUR own preference... hehe

Only important thing to note if you're printing from your home inkjet printer is....matt paper SUCKS up ink like nobody's business !!! Glossy paper is slightly more ink efficient

thanks guys for the answers.

student said:
Again a matter of opinions and preferences.

In black & white, particularly those done traditionally, most prefer glossy. You will hardly find exhibition grade prints or art works in matt.

The reason is that matt surface scatters light, and do not give a brilliance to the image. Another very important reason is that with the matt surface, blacks are not black and whites not white, reducing tonal range.

There are some who prefer a matt print, mainly for conveying certain moods.

But in general, for black & white traditional prints, glossy is the norm and prefered surface.

The expert has spoken :thumbsup:

Anyway, just go down and print whatever surface you like. Afterall it is your print :p

lol , think both got their pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.