Glorious Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTCahHTC

May 9, 2008
hello guys! and girls -.-

lol.

hoping to get some comments on the post processing here. i understand that it is kinda underexposed here. but my main purpose was to give a 'mysterious' and 'gloomy' feel. was trying to give a 'dead' feel to this pic. argh, not really good in expressing wat i wanna say. just hope you guys understand.

GloriousDead3.jpg

THANKS! XD

It's definitely apocalyptic to me, though it's very underexposed, but that probably gives it the feel, if you catch what I mean.

Is that a dead man I see lying in the steps? o_O

It's definitely apocalyptic to me, though it's very underexposed, but that probably gives it the feel, if you catch what I mean.

Is that a dead man I see lying in the steps? o_O

yes, i know wat you mean. how was the processing? was the picture 'strong' enough?
haha, thats my fren -.-
anw, thanks for dropping by at this hour xD

My 2 cents.

Gloomy? Somewhat. Mysterious? Hmm... Lemme guess...

I would have preferred you shot this in a different angle, much closer to the monument and probably made those actors in the middle your focal point. The roof of the Esplanade and Mandarin spoils the image. In general, the image doesn't give me any much impact.

The things I like are your color treatment, frame and name plate. Other than this, next time, dress up those two with a camouflage to make 'em look more soldierly, get 'em to stand up straight, then shoot 'em both... I mean with your camera, eh! :bsmilie:

On second thought, that monument is a sacred symbol hence we should give it the respect it deserves. I'd choose my subject and theme here properly and wisely so as not offend anyone.

If only the durian head not there...

My 2 cents.

Gloomy? Somewhat. Mysterious? Hmm... Lemme guess...

I would have preferred you shot this in a different angle, much closer to the monument and probably made those actors in the middle your focal point. The roof of the Esplanade and Mandarin spoils the image. In general, the image doesn't give me any much impact.

The things I like are your color treatment, frame and name plate. Other than this, next time, dress up those two with a camouflage to make 'em look more soldierly, get 'em to stand up straight, then shoot 'em both... I mean with your camera, eh! :bsmilie:

On second thought, that monument is a sacred symbol hence we should give it the respect it deserves. I'd choose my subject and theme here properly and wisely so as not offend anyone.

i actually had a picture from a different angle. closer to the monument and the actors were in the middle of my focal point, BUT something seems wrong to me about that picture, which i cant figure out why. lol, so i didnt post.

with all due respects, i didnt mean to offend anyone out there...

anw, thanks! xD

If only the durian head not there...

haha. IF only...

too overdone, you have turned it into a painting. if you intended that, that is fine. otherwise, if you want to still call it a photograph, the tones here are so blended into one big mess i find it hard to call it that.

that aside, i wonder if you notice that the road in the foreground is tilted, this is not because you have shot tilted, but rather that the road is not running perfectly horizontal. you can correct this with liquify or perhaps horizontal perspective distortion, but it is not easy.

this is actually a photo where centre composition works, if you ask me. right now it is off-centre.

was trying to give a 'dead' feel to this pic. argh, not really good in expressing wat i wanna say. just hope you guys understand.

just to comment about your short write up.. remember that even if you are not able to fully express what you want to convey in your shot, what you end up writing has to be tactful when dealing with sensitive subjects such as this memorial.

i've shot this memorial myself and i remember that there are names of soldiers who were KIA during the war. so it doesn't really help if you write that you want to give it "a 'dead' feel". you may not have negative intentions, but sometimes words can convey otherwise. you could have probably used words such as 'somber' or simply 'dark'.

i hope you don't take this negatively, just want to give some advice when doing write ups for your work - a well written write up would compliment a photograph as it provides viewers insight to the thoughts of the photographer.

The PP is good if there's a mysterious lady, etc there. But what's those 2 doing in the monument? Killed the pic, and durian on the background.But the diff shades and tones on the monument is lovely,

nice processing. =)

I just feel, lack of or main subject not obvious.. is it the monument or the pair sitting on the steps. perhaps a closer crop will help. it will also cut out marina square, 2 pairs of randon passerbys at the side. then PS away the "durian". that really spoils the look of the monument.

Been having this thoughts sometimes when I am reading comments posted:

1) Do we really have to scrutinise a photo to the point of this building shouldn't be there, that tree just took 15% of your photo etc?
2) Have we been utilising PP so much so that we forgotten that these are photographs still? some of the things cant be removed so easily from a shot e.g the esplanade cant be removed from the pic (of course we can do it with Photoshop, but do we really need to??:think:)

No pun intended, for me eventhough the Esplanade and the Mandarin's presence in the picture are not helping the shot, we just cant simply be 'remove' them from the pictures i.e. take from a diff angle so that those buildings are not in the frame lest the shot wont be able to capture the monument the way that the photographer wanted it to be in this shot. The presence of the buildings in the background (the way I see it) serves as a reminder to me that this is STILL a photograph captured in the place we live in with REAL buildings and people around it.

The things I like about this shot:
- The dark bottom part of the shot gives way to the monument to shine out as the center of attention of the shot
- The dark cloud at the upperleft side (in my own interpretation) are the 'Past/ Dark Hour of wars' and the bright part of the upper right side of the cloud are the 'Glorious' reminder of the KIA's
- the gloomy feel of the whole shot reminds me that we should reflect and yet we seldom do so ......:embrass: OUCH!!
- Esplanade and Mandarin buildings: 'Oh yeah, this was shot in SG!! ;)"

Just my $0.01

Cheers,
ahtiow

aite!
thanks for all those honest comments. :)
guessed only editing makes this picture interesting.
without editing, argh... lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.