Global Warming

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesser

Dec 28, 2002
Serangoon
www.jesserswork.com.sg
got this from another website......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prime News
Effects of global warming 'unstoppable'
Chang Ai-Lien & Liaw Wy-Cin
660 words
3 February 2007
Straits Times
English
(c) 2007 Singapore Press Holdings Limited

Humans responsible for conditions that will cause killer heatwaves, floods and drought: UN

THE verdict is out.

That gas-guzzling SUV you drive, the air-conditioner that you leave humming through the night - they are responsible for global warming.

Worse, the damage from such human activities that consume fossil fuels is unstoppable and will last centuries.

The result: Worsening killer heatwaves and floods, devastating droughts, and stronger hurricanes and tropical storms, say 2,500 scientists from more than 130 countries.

Global temperatures and sea levels will also continue to rise, the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said yesterday in a bleak assessment of the future of the planet.

It predicted that by 2100:

Temperatures will rise by 1.8 deg C to 4.0 deg C; and

Sea levels, an area of particular concern to Singapore because of the threat of flooding here, will rise by 18cm to 59cm.

It could be another 10cm to 20cm more if a relatively recent phenomenon, the melting of polar ice sheets, continues.

The scientists also used their toughest language yet to point the finger for such problems at humans, saying it is 'very likely' humans are the cause of global warming. In scientific language, this means they are at least 90 per cent certain of the cause.

In their previous report in 2001, they had said a link between human activity and global warming was only 'likely' - a 66 per cent possibility.

In fact, some scientists had wanted the phrase 'virtually certain' to be used, implying 99 per cent certainty. But this was toned down after objections from some countries which rely on fossil fuels to power economic growth, including China.

Nevertheless, the report has sounded a dire warning over the impact of greenhouse gases pouring into the atmosphere from burning fossil fuels - they are already at their highest levels in 650,000 years.

Temperatures also rose by 0.7 degC in the 20th century, and the 10 hottest years on record have happened since 1994.

UN Environment Programme head Achim Steiner urged governments to revitalise stalled talks on long-term emissions cuts. 'Feb 2, 2007, may be remembered as the day the question mark was removed from whether (people) are to blame for climate change,' he told a news conference.

Leaders, scientists and environmental groups have urged governments and corporations to reduce emissions.

Said French President Jacques Chirac: 'Faced with this emergency, now is not the time for half measures. It is the time for a revolution, in the true sense of the term.'

The Kyoto Protocol - a plan for cutting emissions of greenhouse gases by 2012 - has been severely weakened since the US - the top source of greenhouse gases, pulled out in 2001.

The report is the first of four this year. The next one - due in April - will discuss in depth the effects of global warming.

Responding to the report, Singapore's National Environment Agency said last night that it is commissioning studies to look at the impact of climate change on Singapore.

These studies, on rainfall patterns and the effects of extreme weather, among other things, will help in planning measures to deal with the impact of the changing climate.

Meanwhile, National Institute of Education geography lecturer Chang Chew Hung said the greatest disruptions here from climate changes would come from freak weather conditions such as flash floods - similar to those that have drenched the country over the last two months.

He added, though, that Singapore would not be submerged.

Singapore Environment Council executive director Howard Shaw said: 'Enough has been done as far as legislation can do, but not enough is done by the people. You need a lifestyle change by the people themselves.'

ailien@sph.com.sg
wycin@sph.com,sg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as what we had observed in Singapore here since last december, we had heavy rainfall and the wind now it still blowing....chill and cold....espeacially in the early morning. we had floods cos of the heavy long rain. and after chinese new year, definitely we will be into super hot weather. as years goes by.....this will become worst.

are we human ready to do something towards this?
i really see no reason why human wish to build a so call modern high standard life-stye with full of modern or space-age technology..........make live so simple and easy and later destory by Mother Nature......:dunno:

change to nuclear powered electricity... ! :think:

biofuels for cars... ! :think:

if u also observed, our rainfall in Singapore is now getting weird too... once it rains.. it is non-stop heavy for a long time.

i stop slping with the air con on. :)

Ten facts about global warming

THEY don't want you to know

1. Britain is one degree Celsius cooler now than it was at the time of the Domesday book.

2. Greenland got its name from the verdant pastures that attracted the Norse settlers under Eric the Red in 986. They carried on their normal way of life (based on cattle, grain, hay and herring) for 300 years until the Little Ice Age, when they were driven off by the encroaching ice and the Inuit took over. The ice and the Inuit are still there.

3. Carbon dioxide is a minor greenhouse gas. In the atmosphere there is over a hundred times the concentration of water vapour, which is the dominant greenhouse gas.

4. Without the Greenhouse Effect there would be no life on Earth.

5. Temperature measurements by satellite, radio sonde balloons and well maintained rural surface stations in the West show no significant warming.

6. The only evidence of significant warming comes from mainly non-western stations that are probably ill maintained or those that are contaminated by the Urban Heat Island Effect.

7. Computer models of the climate are worthless, as they are based on many assumptions about interactions between climate factors that are still unknown to science. They are generally unstable and chaotic, giving a wide variety of answers depending on the input assumptions.

8. The Kyoto agreement would have a devastating effect on the world economy but, since carbon dioxide is a minor greenhouse gas, an undetectable effect on the climate.

9. The IPCC (the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) has been the main engine for promoting the global warming scare. It has become notorious for its corrupt practices of doctoring its reports and executive summaries, after they have been approved by the participating scientists, to conform to its political objectives

10. The really big lie about man-made global warming is that almost all scientists accept it. More than 4,000 scientists from 106 countries, including 72 Nobel prize winners, signed the Heidelberg Appeal (1992), calling for a rational scientific approach to environmental problems. Many senior scientists have also supported The Statement by Atmospheric Scientists on Greenhouse Warming (1992), The Leipzig Declaration (1997) and finally the Oregon Petition (1998) which received the signatures of over 19,000 scientists.

watched 'An Inconvenient Truth' yesterday

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

''The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to its close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences.'' - Winston Churchill, quoted by Al Gore

watched 'An Inconvenient Truth' yesterday

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

''The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to its close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences.'' - Winston Churchill, quoted by Al Gore

Id like to point out, nearly every fact given in that movie is completely wrong, and im not saying this because of my view, it really is government propaganda, go do some research and you will see, Al Gore had most of it wrong, completely.

Id like to point out, nearly every fact given in that movie is completely wrong, and im not saying this because of my view, it really is government propaganda, go do some research and you will see, Al Gore had most of it wrong, completely.

:think: why not you send a letter to Al Gore and conduct a seminar like him too, sure make money :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bsmilie:

Because im not running for president, there is no benefit for me, except all the money of course. :think:

you can claim that Global Warming is a bogey, but you cannot deny the heat island effect. humans are just killing ourselves :bsmilie:

Because im not running for president, there is no benefit for me, except all the money of course. :think:

And what are your qualifications for rebutting these panel of experts? No offence intended, but if you are making a stand against the findings by a panel of international experts, then maybe you should tell us what qualifies you to be an expert on the subject at hand. :)

And what are your qualifications for rebutting these panel of experts? No offence intended, but if you are making a stand against the findings by a panel of international experts, then maybe you should tell us what qualifies you to be an expert on the subject at hand. :)

What panel of experts, read my point number 10. Many experts do not believe in global warming. I may rebuttal this by saying what are a politicians claim to knowing what hes talking about, is he a scientific researcher? I think not. Is he someone who wants votes? YUP!

Heat Island effect has no relevance to global warming technically speaking as it is not trapping greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

i did not make a direct relationship between the two in the first place :bsmilie: but heat island effect has everything to do with greenhouse gases.

let's not even talk about the world, there's alot of heat in a city, and the temperature needs to be brought down. staying in an aircon room doesn't mean the city is cool :bsmilie:

What panel of experts, read my point number 10. Many experts do not believe in global warming. I may rebuttal this by saying what are a politicians claim to knowing what hes talking about, is he a scientific researcher? I think not. Is he someone who wants votes? YUP!

btw, how about let's not talk about Al Gore and his political ambitions, what about UN's report? bogey?

btw, how about let's not talk about Al Gore and his political ambitions, what about UN's report? bogey?

Actually, I was talking about the UN panel and not Al Gore... quoted the wrong post :bsmilie:

Not necessarily, but certain facts and figures seem to be contradictory. Global warming may be being accelerated by humans, I cannot deny this. But it may just be a planetary cycle, what Im saying is no one really knows. We could mitigate against global warming, which could destroy many countries unnecessarily if we are not an impacting factor, or, it could reduce the global warming effect. However if we dont mitigate and it gets worse, we may eventually all die, or global warming slows down due to unknown reasons. Its a tricky choice.

Not necessarily, but certain facts and figures seem to be contradictory. Global warming may be being accelerated by humans, I cannot deny this. But it may just be a planetary cycle, what Im saying is no one really knows. We could mitigate against global warming, which could destroy many countries unnecessarily if we are not an impacting factor, or, it could reduce the global warming effect. However if we dont mitigate and it gets worse, we may eventually all die, or global warming slows down due to unknown reasons. Its a tricky choice.

humans always contradict ourselves, that's why there's politiking. but do we wait for trouble to happen and then we find solutions? i think there's nothing wrong in asking people to do better than they are doing now to improve the environment we've parasited on our Earth. it's never an overnight thing as well, what's wrong with asking people to live environmentally more responsible life? remember the Dust Bowl you learn in school?

humans always contradict ourselves, that's why there's politiking. but do we wait for trouble to happen and then we find solutions? i think there's nothing wrong in asking people to do better than they are doing now to improve the environment we've parasited on our Earth. it's never an overnight thing as well, what's wrong with asking people to live environmentally more responsible life? remember the Dust Bowl you learn in school?

It depends, I agree with you, being environmentally friendly is surely a good thing, BUT only in some places. Trying to prevent industrialisation and deforestation in some places will only have a negative impact on development, unless of course, another country is willing to sponsor that country to develop fully without the need for industrialisation and deforestation, but then, will it be as successful as it could be? Who knows. All i know is, at the moment, no country will do that.

food for thoughts...

Do you suppose those 2 who wrote these reports now sleep without air-con?
Does the scientist now work without aircon, fan and other cooling aid?
Does the scientist also not drive?
Does the scientist also not use any water heater when showering in winter?

Everyone is just procrastinating, and most are just NATO and hope that someone else do it... problem is, WHO?

Even if the govt increase tarriff to electricity, etc... end of the day, it has becomed a necessity for people to drive to work, take public transport etc... even use air-con to sleep... if a scientist in US tells me to sleep without air con now, i'll tell him to off his heater when he is sleeping... likewise... dun on the air con when its summer... if he says that will deprive his sleep and hence not able to do his NATO research... then what rights does he have to deprive the rest while he is enjoying his 'fruits of labour'?

Trying to prevent industrialisation and deforestation in some places will only have a negative impact on development, unless of course, another country is willing to sponsor that country to develop fully without the need for industrialisation and deforestation, but then, will it be as successful as it could be? Who knows. All i know is, at the moment, no country will do that.

who's trying to prevent development? nobody says development has to stop. the undertaking of the Kyoto protocol is based on freewill of each country's administration, if not U.S. and Australia would not have signed but refuse to ratify.

if U.S. and Australia refuse to ratify because they are afraid of the suspected conspiracy to transfer wealth from industrialised economies to third world developing nations, no one can force them.

Status
Not open for further replies.