glare that cause spot in picture after snap

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoobWithStuff

Jul 16, 2008
Hi guys, i'm wondering if glare causes spot to our photo when our cam is pointed in the direction of strong lights? i was snapping around Merlion yesterday and i saw glare in my viewfinder and im wondering if thats normal.

noob here with much help needed.

Yes it's normal it's called a lens flare either because of your lens optics or filter. Sometimes if you have dust on your lens it'll show up too.

Yes it's normal it's called a lens flare either because of your lens optics or filter. Sometimes if you have dust on your lens it'll show up too.

Thanks for the quick reply, peapilot. I thought it was dust particle that stuck in my UV Filter and i took them out only to realise its the glare.

I snap my pictures with my UV filter on, is that okay?

can use UV filter all the time but at night easier to get flare...

Hi TS

When shooting at night, depending on your UV filter, u may get flare or ghosting light in your image. cheap UV filter tend to be prone to reflect light inbetween the lens and the filter causing a ghost flare in the picture.

advise is to remove filter during night shot where there are alot of strong light source (ie spot/flood light) else pay more for better filter. personal experiance is that, I gotten a cheap $20 emoulux uv filter, gave alot of flare and ghosting light spot in my picture. after stepping up to better filter like B+W, the encounter with flare and ghosting at night reduce drastically, flare sometimes still happen when my lens angle wrong and staring quite directly at a strong light source, easily overcome by reposition.

Hi TS

When shooting at night, depending on your UV filter, u may get flare or ghosting light in your image. cheap UV filter tend to be prone to reflect light inbetween the lens and the filter causing a ghost flare in the picture.

advise is to remove filter during night shot where there are alot of strong light source (ie spot/flood light) else pay more for better filter. personal experiance is that, I gotten a cheap $20 emoulux uv filter, gave alot of flare and ghosting light spot in my picture. after stepping up to better filter like B+W, the encounter with flare and ghosting at night reduce drastically, flare sometimes still happen when my lens angle wrong and staring quite directly at a strong light source, easily overcome by reposition.

Thanks nixontkl,

I'm new to photography and the UV filter that came with my 500D was free.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me again, everyone :D

Hi TS

yeah the emolux was really bad, i used that on my 50mm last time. super alot of flares.
i heard somewhere that in some test hoya performs better than b+w despite the huge price difference.

Just to add on, if you are near the Merlion, the water spouting from the Merlion can mist onto your lens thus causing circular dots or maybe streaks under strong light.

I'm new to photography and the UV filter that came with my 500D was free.

If it comes for free than it's better to drop it. Nothing good comes fro free and lenses are designed to work best without any filter. (Have you seen a Canon recommendation for any filter?) If you need a filter to change the light coming in then check the various types and purposes and get what you need.

yeah the emolux was really bad, i used that on my 50mm last time. super alot of flares.
i heard somewhere that in some test hoya performs better than b+w despite the huge price difference.

Emolux .. never heard. But I suspect also good filter will have problems on the 50mm. Reason is that the front element is more recessed than on most other lenses. The wider gap between filter and front element will emphasize the reflections / glare.
Check the reviews carefully, not all Hoya filters are better than all B+W. Both have more than one type of filter.

Emolux .. never heard. But I suspect also good filter will have problems on the 50mm. Reason is that the front element is more recessed than on most other lenses. The wider gap between filter and front element will emphasize the reflections / glare.
Check the reviews carefully, not all Hoya filters are better than all B+W. Both have more than one type of filter.

my turn to share.

i bought my 50mm and a cheapo tokina UV filter (10 bucks only) 2 weeks ago. i got this ghosting effect (reverse text of the signboard) at night when i shoot those signboards...

in the end i bought another Hoya Pro1 UV filter (cost me $27), and its much better, no ghosting effect.

:)

anyway just get a filter that is multi coated... those plain glass filters (like the cheapo tokina), confirm will get these ghosting/flares issue. :)

darn i shouldn't have trusted those reviews.
i think the review was only for uv filters for transmittance level.

yeah since then i didn't use much filters only using cpl now on my 35mm. the rest of my lenses are naked.
tempted to get an ND filter though. can only buy hoya though, super cheapskate.

sorry for the late reply and thanks for the info everyone!

i'll be heading now to liang court later this afternoon to have a look on lens and filters.

thanks again!

If the strong light is in the frame.. putting on a filter might cause "ghosting", or spots of light. Removing filter is best solution.

If the strong light is not in the frame, the stray light can cause flare and reduce the contrast.. In this case, getting a lens hood might help.

Try without the filter and use a lens hood or use something to shield the light

Status
Not open for further replies.