Giving photographers a bad name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
Just happened to see this article on ungentlemanly behaviour at Motor Show 2004...

http://motoring.asiaone.com.sg/racequeen/rq_20040627_001.html

Of course, many photographers are guilty of the shoving and pushing behaviour. But the crime of "roving hands"... well, sometimes it's not us. But hey... it's not always obvious to the public to differentiate between photographers and the h***y guys...

To a large extent, the article has truth in it. I've been to many IT shows, modelling shows and car shows... very sad reputation for photo enthusiasts in Singapore. :(

Actually, the reporter who wrote that probably have not seen such shows in Taiwan, Japan and other more places. Its common to have hoardes of photographers. Thats partly what the models are there for. He probably needed to write some "scandalous" stuff for conservative Spore to read. That's news I guess and he can be sure no photogs here will challenge his article too.... ;)

But yeah, some photogs do exhibit bad manners. :think:

Neo said:
Just happened to see this article on ungentlemanly behaviour at Motor Show 2004...

http://motoring.asiaone.com.sg/racequeen/rq_20040627_001.html

Of course, many photographers are guilty of the shoving and pushing behaviour. But the crime of "roving hands"... well, sometimes it's not us. But hey... it's not always obvious to the public to differentiate between photographers and the h***y guys...

To a large extent, the article has truth in it. I've been to many IT shows, modelling shows and car shows... very sad reputation for photo enthusiasts in Singapore. :(
why do you call them photo enthusiasts? because they carry a camera? Sad reputation - yes, photo enthusiasts.....er..??

the photo enthusiasts are typified by their love to fondle white and smooth glasses, kiss red rings performance and drool over dreamy bokeh. Leave them alone.

Me just photocopier :embrass:

Hi AReality,

Bingo... you hit the nail on the head... are photographers and people with cameras the same thing? We perceive the difference... but the public does not... sigh.... :(

You know what we really need?
We need more of these shows more frequently!
Then people will become numb to the presence of the models and racequeens. Just think of it this way, people become unruly and desperate at these events simply they dun get enough of it. It's like a once in a year chance to actually see shows like these here in Singapore. Everyone will become more eager to grab a good shot mah.

When I was in Taipei, there was a computer/camera/multi-media/car/book/wedding/food (delete where appropriate) fair almost every other week.Of course still will have plenty of photo enthusiasts show up to take photos, but everyone is like so used to the routine already; what time the show starts, what the models will do, where to stand to get the best shots etc etc. After the show, everyone just disperse orderly and move on to the next show.

My guess is that the article is just a opportunistic attempt to try write a story on the unruly side of Singaporeans. My view is," Enough of these already. Why don't we have more articles on how NOT TO BE unruly."

P.S>> I'm wondering, how come everytime an article involving Japanese girls turn up, the descriptive "pixie-faced" always almost with fail show up. It's time to break out of the mould that Japanese girls are pixie-faced. I wouldn't exactly describe Shiho Asaoka "pixie-faced".

Hi Prismatic,

It's called sterotyping... we're taught to believe that Japanese must have that cute pixie-faced look. Not too long ago, Westerners believed Japanese and Chinese have slitty eyes... :bsmilie:

The same applies in this case... more reports like these, and the public will have the sterotype that photographers are mostly desparate guys! :confused:

Yeah, we are all guilty of it.
I can guess, if we just put the phrase "Japanese girls..." on the thread title now. The thread view hits will confirm shoot up 10 folds.

In fact, everyone who has read this thread is probably thinking, "So when is anyone putting the pictures up?" :bsmilie:

Prismatic, same thoughts here.... straits times article all follow some sort of format. I think maybe some of the reporters just use a template. Hence, you get pixie faced Japs. ;)

I've seen the same behavior to photograph celebrities at red carpet events, criminals at famous court trials, athletes at the Olympics and even government officials at opening ceremonies. Do we condemn the behavior of photographers in those situations? They are just there to get that winning shot, whether for pay or pleasure. Just because the subjects are pretty does not make the behavior reprehensible.

Had the article talked about the photographers shoving cameras under their skirts or verbally harrassing the models, I would be offended. As far as I can tell, even the article says as much, the models were brought in at great expense to create this exact response, and they got it.

Neo said:
Hi Prismatic,

It's called sterotyping... we're taught to believe that Japanese must have that cute pixie-faced look. Not too long ago, Westerners believed Japanese and Chinese have slitty eyes... :bsmilie:

The same applies in this case... more reports like these, and the public will have the sterotype that photographers are mostly desparate guys! :confused:

In certain parts of China, many chinese do have slitty eyes. In fact it's a very common feature among the cantonese.

Witness said:
cannot because of a few guys stereotype the whole world lo.....

Well, that's kinda inevitable isn't it? When we all operate within the lines, who will take notice? When you misbehave, it attracts attention. So naturally, people will think they represent everybody else. Being fair or not is irrelevant.

i dunno if i'm gonna sound even more "pig-headed-male-ish" here.. but sometimes, what's the point if can see but cannot touch!!! :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

that's why i'm not crazy over such events, make myself ghian, then cannot touch, feel worse!! :devil: :devil:

hey guys...i know the organisers for this event, the director fella as well some those "interviewed" models.

my guess is, this media thingy is a pure hype-up set-up, both for current event, as well paving awareness for the next one in line already. its prolific, its punchy, its penny-saving. PERFECT.

only dreaming what "goodwill" was "dished out" to the one who reported it... :think:

pls pls nothing against nobody ok.

They might as well skip all the cars crap and get straight to the point. I am sure women gyrating on the ground and poles will tempt me to buy cars. Having a few second grade models pose around doesn't sound exciting et all.

Technically...
Cook = someone who cook to make a living.
Photographer = one who use photography to earn a living? (Yes/No)

Driver = someone how can drive/operate a car etc.
Cameraman = someone who know how to operate a camera well? (Yes/No)

Then there are collectors and then another group of people with $$$ to spend...

Haha, I taking rots here, no meaning.

The girlfriends don't mind ;p
Girlfriends who accompanied their boyfriends to the show said they didn't mind their men gawking at the babes.

Said Miss Hafizah Rahim, 21, a student: 'I don't mind, as long as he sees, and doesn't touch.'

mpenza said:
The girlfriends don't mind ;p
Girlfriends who accompanied their boyfriends to the show said they didn't mind their men gawking at the babes.

Said Miss Hafizah Rahim, 21, a student: 'I don't mind, as long as he sees, and doesn't touch.'
I'm quite sure there are some who do mind. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.