Giving "her" a soul.

Lionheaded

Apr 16, 2013
Singapore
a_walk_in_the_jungle_by_lionheaded-d6168ew.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Tips or advices for improvement. (I know it's creepy :angry:)

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I am actually practising taking photos of human... :think: So maybe start small?

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
My light is off. Just pure camera flash, Sony Cybershot. I switched on the fan for a more natural effect.

4.What the Critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
The angle of shot with weird, especially the right eye. I used a customized Black & White effect to bring out a more unique feel and also to make it as if it was a human model. :)

Feel free to comment. :D

not too bad. that being said,

your light source, the direct camera flash, is huge compared to the subject and hence the lighting and shadows are not that harsh. in fact the lighting looking kind of interesting .

however you would not achieve the same effect with a full size human. i believe you will have harsh lighting. . .

Walaueh almost 12mn see this i was like WHAT!

Shizuma said:
why you go walking at night then...LOL. scare yourself

Was in my room at 12mn without the lights and surfing clubsnap on my phone and fwoh this comes out. I guess it works in that sense. Haha

Was in my room at 12mn without the lights and surfing clubsnap on my phone and fwoh this comes out. I guess it works in that sense. Haha

:bsmilie:

lucky I don't surf the net without lights on, already scared of the dark liao hehe...

I feel the direct flash on the hair is too bright... a bit difficult for off camera flash with a compact but still can be done, and the commonly used lighting from below (if I remember correctly aptly called 'horror lighting') can enhance the creepiness ha...

Thanks for sharing... hmm maybe not :bsmilie:

Got more photos of her leh. :V If post, you all no need sleep liao.

I tried the flash from below. Just need to find the correct angle to make her look more creepy. ;)

Last edited:
:bsmilie:

lucky I don't surf the net without lights on, already scared of the dark liao hehe...

I feel the direct flash on the hair is too bright... a bit difficult for off camera flash with a compact but still can be done, and the commonly used lighting from below (if I remember correctly aptly called 'horror lighting') can enhance the creepiness ha...

Thanks for sharing... hmm maybe not :bsmilie:

I cannot critique! Too scared to see properly! :bsmilie:

I actually really like this photo. It fits your title of giving her a soul. she looks sad. in a twisted way.

Got more photos of her leh. :V If post, you all no need sleep liao.

I tried the flash from below. Just need to find the correct angle to make her look more creepy. ;)

you could do even more with an off-camera flash although I am not sure if your camera supports this...

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Tips or advices for improvement. (I know it's creepy :angry:)
first you need to get your message clear, what is the intention of this photo which you want to tell people about it?
a photo without content is like a story without a subject. after read about 500 words and nobody can understand what is the author trying to say.
using a beautiful font, printed a expensive paper will not change the story.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I am actually practising taking photos of human... :think: So maybe start small?
You can't practise on a small scale doll to learn on portrait lighting, the size of light source, quality of light source will be too much different when you translate that into a life size human, you will never get the same effects, unless you able to scale everything up relatively; eg camera to subject distance, subject to background distance, size of light source, subject to light source distance etc.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
My light is off. Just pure camera flash, Sony Cybershot. I switched on the fan for a more natural effect.
read my comments above.

4.What the Critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
The angle of shot with weird, especially the right eye. I used a customized Black & White effect to bring out a more unique feel and also to make it as if it was a human model. :)

Feel free to comment. :D
to get improvement, is to shoot with what you see, without any post processing, so you know what is missing first and can improvement from there,
many people trying too hard on post processing, is to salvage the photo, confuse themself and the viewers.

just like it is pretty useless to add icing and dressing to a cake which didn't bake well.

Last edited:
quite interesting and unique, IMO.
not bad.

Go and take a look at bro Kiwira shots. You will love it. I am a fan for his beautiful series.
see example here.
5d86252.jpg