Gives comments on buying Canon A80 vs Minolta Z3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiro MS08th

Aug 13, 2004
Singapore
A beginner photographer here.

I've look at the specs, both of the cameras are about the same, except one with higher zoom and shutter speed has lesser range.

So would like you all to help on deciding.
I would like to explore manual functions on upon buying the new camera, able to shoot nightshots, like fireworks, etc..., making background blurred, but the focus object will be sharp, etc...

I know from reading some of the forum thread, CF has high speed cards, so does SD has high speed cards too?
Cause will want to buy 30-40x speed card, as sometimes when going to events taking pictures, I want it to process faster, so I can take another shots almost immediately.

Although now I don't think will be using any add-ons filters, does both or either of the cameras can mount any filters?

Lastly, would like to know the current market price of Sanyo 2300 4XAA batteries with charger will costs how much.

Thanks for reading, hope to get replies.

A80 is IMHO, the better compact camera in learning manual functions. You may want to explore the possibility of getting a second hand dslr instead, if you're really keen on playing with DOF, as stated by your description, since the DOF for all the compact digicams tend to be quite huge even when wide open.

Anyway, as far as I know, you can get third party lens adapter for both A80 and Z3, in which you could then mount on filters for different effects.

No idea about the price of batteries... maybe you would like to check with this site: www.eastgear.com

Shiro MS08th said:
A beginner photographer here.

I've look at the specs, both of the cameras are about the same, except one with higher zoom and shutter speed has lesser range.

So would like you all to help on deciding.
I would like to explore manual functions on upon buying the new camera, able to shoot nightshots, like fireworks, etc..., making background blurred, but the focus object will be sharp, etc...

I know from reading some of the forum thread, CF has high speed cards, so does SD has high speed cards too?
Cause will want to buy 30-40x speed card, as sometimes when going to events taking pictures, I want it to process faster, so I can take another shots almost immediately.

Although now I don't think will be using any add-ons filters, does both or either of the cameras can mount any filters?

Lastly, would like to know the current market price of Sanyo 2300 4XAA batteries with charger will costs how much.

Thanks for reading, hope to get replies.

1. Ignore high speed card if you are just using this 2 cam ...
4MP is less then 2MB per file ... with you slow card you can still write in 1 sec (write not save ... cos with all the NR it will take longer to save even with fast card) so a fast CF card is useless here.

2. Forget about the blur bg also ... P&S cam cant really do that except marco mode ...

Normal digi cam all cannot do the blur bg one ah?
sian liao.

But anyways thanks for the advice.

when u use telezoom.. u can get yr subject sharp n background blur....
for yr info i using a Z2... so far works well for mi except some limitations...
but if are really intending to go into photography, do invest in a DSLR, (like D70)...

Don't really have that kind of money, still a student here.

Shiro MS08th said:
Don't really have that kind of money, still a student here.

well u can try the camera at shops n compare to see which is better or can wait for the Sitex show at the end of nov.
i recommend u to try out Z2/z3 and A80.... u will see which is fast .....
i have tried quite a number of cam around same range alreadi even with the A95.. but a disappointment...

A few things you might want to consider:

1) Quality of the images produced. Most people agree that the images produced by DSLR cameras are better quality, with higher resolution and lower noise (grain). If image quality is of importance (for example, if you're planning huge enlargements or want to sell your work) then perhaps consider a DSLR.

2) Noise at high ISOs. Most digicams produces more noise at high ISOs (i.e. ISO 400 and above) than DSLRs do. If you do a lot of night or sports photography this may be an issue. For amateurs needs, cleaning up the images with noise remover software (Noise Ninja or Neat Image) works very well, but it all depends on your requirements.

3) ISO range. Z2/Z3 and A80 provides ISO up to 400, while DSLRs provide ISO of at least 1600 and possibly higher. Even at ISO 1600, a DSLR is likely to have less noise than a digicam at ISO400 and may therefore a better choice for someone who needs the ability to freeze the action with relatively clean photos.

4) Anti-shake. DSLRs do not have this facility built-in (Except Dynax 7D) . If you want it, you'll have to buy more expensive "IS" or "VR" lenses. Not only does the Z3 have this facility built in, but the LCD will tell you when the camera "thinks" you need to switch it on. AS enables you to take handheld shots at generally lower shutter speeds than a DSLR fitted with an IS/VR lens because Z3 is lighter than a DSLR.

5) Weight/size. A DSLR with a selection of lenses will weigh much more than Z3 and A80 added together, and take up more space. Something to consider if you plan to carry your camera around your neck all day or want to take it backpacking .

6) Cleaning. All Digicams are sealed units, which makes it much less likely that the sensor will be affected by dust and dirt. A DSLR has interchangeable lenses and its sensor will "attract" dust over time even if you rarely change your lens. (except Olympus E-1 which has Anti-Dust sensor)

7) Cost. One IS/VR lens alone already cost you more than a A80 or Z2/Z3

8) Upgrading. If you like to upgrade regularly, a DSLR may hold on to its value better on the secondhand market. Value of A80 and Z2/Z3 will drop once new model like A95 and Dimage A200 come into the market. You can see the number of new models Canon came out for the past few months. A70, then A75, then A80, now A95.

L-MoLe: Thanks for the advices.
But not sure what's noise?
My current budget cam, is all auto, so I don't even have a choice to choose ISO, so not sure what's that.

I'll think I will stick with the digi cam first, until I'm ready to buy DSLR, cause of the price and all the lenses costs, etc...

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/

You can learn about the terms ISO, Noise, Exposure etc from this link.

I know nuts about these terms at first. But after I learnt about them, I began to explore my camera.

Sometimes, you cannot rely Auto mode. Most auto mode will turn on its Flash at night or low light conditions. You may encounter problems if you use Flash - unwanted shadow or waste battery power. You may want to use higher ISO settings.... or lengthen shutter speed or use wider aperture... etc. There are so many ways you can choose. So try not to restrict yourself to Auto mode only.

I think that it is better to learn about the camera functions and its features other than sticking to Auto mode. This way, you won't be under utilizing the capability of the camera.

ISO_NOISE_1024.jpg

The higher the ISO the brighter the photo (mean you can use faster shutter speed for the same brightness needed) ... but also mean more noise ....

Ya, that's why I wanna buy a new and better cam that have manual functions, so I can explore the ISO, aperature and stuffs, like what I had stated in my first post.

Shiro MS08th said:
Ya, that's why I wanna buy a new and better cam that have manual functions, so I can explore the ISO, aperature and stuffs, like what I had stated in my first post.

then simple question
do you need high zoom and VGA movie mode
Yes -> Z3
No -> A80

Panasonic Lumix FZ3, its up there with the best of them.

Thanks for the tips and everything everyone, I think I'm leaning to Z3.

Status
Not open for further replies.