give or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nisa

Aug 13, 2004
I am an Editor from [], an educational publisher in Singapore. I would like to seek your permission for the use of the photographs of "Picture A" and "Picture B" to be published in a [] textbook for Primary [] students in Singapore.

As we need to use these photographs for publishing, we would greatly appreciate if you could grant us the photographs in high resolution. We will ensure full acknowledgement of you in the published books.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any queries.

I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.

Best regards,
"Someone"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi "Someone";

I saw the mail you had sent me.
I am very happy that you wished to use my photos to be published in a [] textbook for Primary [] students in Singapore.

I would like to know, if your company wants me to give the images to you for free or would i be getting a fee in return?

Hope to hear from you soon.

ME

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi ME,

Great to hear from you! As we are using these photographs for educational purposes, we hope you would be able to let us use them for free. We will however acknowledge you in the book.

Warm Regards;
"Someone"

Last edited:
give or not?:sweat:

I had a similar offer from a lady overseas who said she was from a charity.
She wanted my photo of seashells for free because it's for a charity publication.

My personal feeling was that I don't do photography 7 days a week often up to 3am in the morning to do charity work. I just ignored her email.

Last edited:

likely that they will profit from the sales of that textbook. my advice, charge them for some pocket money, my fren..

they sell one copy, u charge $1. :think:

no.

direct them to stock image websites.

that's what i did to someone from random house who wanted to use one of my photographs. they are a profit making organisation. just because it is educational doesn't mean they should have the right to free lunches.

it is not a matter of just your decision to be nice, there are ripple effects - soon everyone will be used to be getting free images, and what will happen to the professional photographer?

Are they giving away the textbook for free? I bet this is a rice bowl project so why should I give free to them use my photo(s) when they will be selling the textbook to children and making money off them. They will tell the parents to buy their text book(s) to help your kids get SMARTER from it but then turn around and ask me to give them free use of my photo in the name of education? No fragging way.

Last edited:
Whilst the final product is for educational purposes, the company publishing the textbook is not doing it for educational purposes. They are using it as a pure commercial venture for commercial gains.

You don't want fame? :)

笑一个吧 功成名就不是目的

让自己快乐快乐这才叫做意义

:thumbsup:

I think not.

It's insulting in a way to think that such a lame "for education" answer will suffice for the questioner.

Last edited:
This is the BIGGEST BS I hear lately. The text book market is the most lucrative in the publishing industry.

I will politely tell them to remit $XXXX for the limited rights of using the image in that ONE (1) edition.

You better reply, because that way, it wil be on record, that a fee is required.

I would say give it away free , since it's for education.

Have you been reading the thread above?

How about you give me your camera gear for free? I'm giving free lessons to students on photography and they need cameras. It is for EDUCATION.

I think you should charge them your professional fees.

Can. Give for free loh.

Just plaster your copyright/signature big big in the centre or on the main subject of the picture and send in.

If they reply and seek a "clean" image, tell them that to remove the copyright require a nominal fee of $XXX.

Have you been reading the thread above?

How about you give me your camera gear for free? I'm giving free lessons to students on photography and they need cameras. It is for EDUCATION.
:bsmilie::bsmilie:

the problem with many is, they don't read, they dont pay attention ...

and their sentiment is exactly why the publisher tries to EXPLOIT

Here are some thoughts:
- how much value do you place on your photos?
- who owns the copyright after they publish the photos in their text book?
- in what context will they be putting your photos in their book?
- does this have a marketing value to you?
- will you get copies of the book for your own marketing purposes?
- is the book going to be sold for profit?

I'll say that there is little if no value as far as marketing purposes is concerned. A large proportion of the target audience are kids and aunties.

okie... so it will be want pictures, pay money! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.