Give Me Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liquidsnake

Deregistered
Aug 18, 2009
I just got a Nikon D300S with 18-200mm lens but as i am a noobie, i am not really sure how to use it...haha, anyone can advise how shld i start?

ISO - does it mean if the environment is poor lighting, i shld use low iso and good lighting shld use high iso ?

1. Read your manual. That is the most important part.
2. No, that's not the right concept of ISO, I suggest you start by reading the stickes here in the newbies corner on the basics of photography and exposure.

I just got a Nikon D300S with 18-200mm lens but as i am a noobie, i am not really sure how to use it...haha, anyone can advise how shld i start?
You point that fat tubular thingy to the face of other people and look through the other end. Jokes aside, there is this booklet called manual in the box. Read it, it will answer most questions about how to operate the camera. Stick to thre basic modes at first till you are familiar with all buttons.

ISO - does it mean if the environment is poor lighting, i shld use low iso and good lighting shld use high iso ?

ISO is the sensitivity of the sensor. No point using high ISO in good light. Photography Notes for Newbies can help. Read.
You have embarked on a journey that starts with (quite a lot of) learning. Be patient, be open, start slowly. If you don't like to learn all these things then you got the wrong camera.

Agreed. Read the manual from end to end, then read it again and at the same time, play with your camera. Then read the parts that you most wanna try out again. Haha! That's how I read mine.

If you're willing to spend time to read and learn and experiment, your D300s will last you till it dies. And even till then, you might not have fully utilized its full potential. =) Regardless of that, just keep shooting! Photography is about capturing the moment, and it's about enjoying capturing the moment. So have fun!!!

bring the manual and your camera out to a nice park with people in nice sunlight (morning or evening)
read and try it out at the same time

have fun

Read the manual and try shooting. You will learn more. :)

And if after reading all those mentioned above in the nice places also mentioned above and still don't understand, come back and ask. But don't forget to say the magic word: "Please".

pick up a book on basic photography in the library.

read the manual pls....

u r armed with a good cam, but u need to know 1st...

If you can't wait, set your exposure mode to Program Auto and start shooting.

You still need to read the manual to get to know your camera better.

wah u got a great budget for a newbie.... jealous!

I think already mentioned: RTFM = Read The F Manual

of course u can tag along for CS outings and ask people to teach u hands on, but then if u have zero knowledge on how to operate ur camera then very hard lah

well, if u arent the sort that enjoys reading the manual, and money isnt an issue,
there are courses out there that teach basic photography - believe theres a subsection somewhere on this forum

well, if u arent the sort that enjoys reading the manual, and money isnt an issue,
there are courses out there that teach basic photography - believe theres a subsection somewhere on this forum

money certaining don't seem to be an issue for TS based on his set up...

yah agree first attend the basic course by Nikon... think $20 only for new DLSR users, they should cover basic functions of the camera

such a setup for someone who doesnt know nuts bout DSLRs.

"wo yao yun le..."

TS: Read the manual. there is nothing better then the manual.

IF you really know nothing about shooting, set your camera to P mode. and shoot. If too dark, pop your flash up.

If you dunno how to set the camera to P mode or pop the flash up, read the manual.

Passing the cam to me to use would be an easier option for you. :bsmilie:

no doubt you need not be a pro to get a pro cam,

and it helps.

you may first wanna shoot with aperture priority, if you're trying to get the most shallow depth of field possible with your lens (18-200)

check out sulhan's photography notes for newbies here

Not buy pro camera then can automatically take pictures like a pro meh??? :bsmilie:

you beat me to saying that
:bsmilie:

To TS: there are a lot of resources available here in CS and online, just some time to look at them (and your manual) and go out and shoot, come back and review, select some and post, and get feedback....

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.