Gitzo GT1531 or Manfrotto 190CXPRO3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lighty

Sep 13, 2008
I am stuck with the decision on which tripod to get.

Gitzo GT1531
Load Capacity 17.6 lbs (8kg)
Maximum Height 61" (155cm)
Maximum Height w/o Column Extended 52.8" (134cm)
Minimum Height 6.7" (17cm)
Folded Length 24.4" (62cm)
Weight 2.5 lbs (1.1kg)
Price: $685

Manfrotto 190CXPRO3
Load Capacity (5kg)
Maximum Height (146cm)
Maximum Height w/o Column Extended (122cm)
Minimum Height (8cm)
Folded Length (58cm)
Weight (1.29kg)
Price: $450

Does the Gitzo worth that extra $230 more than the manfrotto? Any bro using these 2 tripod comment?

Wanted a good and long lasting tripod which i can bring for travel as well as local use.

TIA

I am stuck with the decision on which tripod to get.

Gitzo GT1531
Load Capacity 17.6 lbs (8kg)
Maximum Height 61" (155cm)
Maximum Height w/o Column Extended 52.8" (134cm)
Minimum Height 6.7" (17cm)
Folded Length 24.4" (62cm)
Weight 2.5 lbs (1.1kg)
Price: $685

Manfrotto 190CXPRO3
Load Capacity (5kg)
Maximum Height (146cm)
Maximum Height w/o Column Extended (122cm)
Minimum Height (8cm)
Folded Length (58cm)
Weight (1.29kg)
Price: $450

Does the Gitzo worth that extra $230 more than the manfrotto? Any bro using these 2 tripod comment?

Wanted a good and long lasting tripod which i can bring for travel as well as local use.

TIA

For me i will get the Gitzo. This is one of the best tripod and it will definitely last a normal hobbist for a very long time. For a $200++ diff, you get a very light tripod with Glock compared to the manfrotto.

The height of the gitzo 155cm (with centre column extended) is also good for a tall person.

This tripod you match it with the Markin Q3, it will last you a life time but this will cost you about $1000++

Last edited:
I started out with a cheapo Fancier tripod, Made in China, $120+. Worked ok for a while, until I put a 70-200 f4 onto it. Didn't work as well.

Althought the 1531 is a little cheaper at 3 sections but the 4 section is shorter after folding.

The Gitzo 1541:
54cm folded length
17cm lowest height
138cm height without extension
159cm, with full height extension.
1.12kg, weight.
8 kg, max load 8kg
4 section.

Will cost around $770.

Plus a Markins Q3 head for around $450 plus $95 for the plate.

I bought this a few weeks ago after taking the plunge. Definately no regrets, but the outlay is very expensive.

It will last me for many years, as not many setup will be more than 8kg plus the Markins Q3 takes up to 30kg.

The Manfrotto is good, but see both of them in person. Bring your camera along with the longest or heaviest lens and try it out yourself.

The product will speak for itself.

I started out with a cheapo Fancier tripod, Made in China, $120+. Worked ok for a while, until I put a 70-200 f4 onto it. Didn't work as well.

Althought the 1531 is a little cheaper at 3 sections but the 4 section is shorter after folding.

The Gitzo 1541:
54cm folded length
17cm lowest height
138cm height without extension
159cm, with full height extension.
1.12kg, weight.
8 kg, max load 8kg
4 section.

Will cost around $770.

Plus a Markins Q3 head for around $450 plus $95 for the plate.

I bought this a few weeks ago after taking the plunge. Definately no regrets, but the outlay is very expensive.

It will last me for many years, as not many setup will be more than 8kg plus the Markins Q3 takes up to 30kg.

The Manfrotto is good, but see both of them in person. Bring your camera along with the longest or heaviest lens and try it out yourself.

The product will speak for itself.

I like 3 section cos many reviews mentioned that it is mroe stable then 4 sections. However, i think they are almost the same. it is just the time required to setup a 4 sections is longer than just 3.

I try both tripod today at John316 the folded length is not really a big difference and when i attached it to my NG 5162, it look almost the same length and did not affect my movement in anyway.

After comparing, i agreed that the gitzo looks more well built compared to the manfrotto. It is also not as bulky too.

I have to consider properly cos it is a $685 tripod.

I am also considering CF tripod fm Manfrotto and Gitzo.
Since you tried both, can you comment on the clip vs the twist screw leg locking system?
I always think that clip is faster to release. Are the leg thickness roughly the same?

BTW, I think the 2531 is not much more expensive.

I like 3 section cos many reviews mentioned that it is mroe stable then 4 sections. However, i think they are almost the same. it is just the time required to setup a 4 sections is longer than just 3.

I try both tripod today at John316 the folded length is not really a big difference and when i attached it to my NG 5162, it look almost the same length and did not affect my movement in anyway.

After comparing, i agreed that the gitzo looks more well built compared to the manfrotto. It is also not as bulky too.

I have to consider properly cos it is a $685 tripod.

I am also considering CF tripod fm Manfrotto and Gitzo.
Since you tried both, can you comment on the clip vs the twist screw leg locking system?
I always think that clip is faster to release. Are the leg thickness roughly the same?

BTW, I think the 2531 is not much more expensive.

i think clip is faster. Any bro here can confirm. The manfrotto leg is thicker and look for solid compared to the gitzo.
I need a light but able to hold at least 8kg which i think the 1531 is more than enough. remember the load the tripod can tolerate should be more more than the load stated in the spec. If i am not wrong, you can hang yourself to the 1531. (60kg). Of cos you will not abuse the tripod like that.

Last edited:
this is the price i got from Cathay today.
All prices exclude 7% GST.

1. manfrotto 190CXPro3 @S$424.00
2. manfrotto 190CXPro4 @S$464.00
3. gitzo GT1541 @S$795.00
4. gitzo GT1531 @S$715.00
5. gitzo GT1541T @S$826.00
6. gitzo GT1931 @S$525.00
7. markins Q3 – not available
8. Giottos MH-1302 @S$120.00

any comments?

Yes, a lot of people feel that 3 section might be more stable than 4 section.

For my style and type of shooting, so far so good. 4 section is ok.

A few reasons why I bought Gitzo.

1) Clips are noisy, click clack, snap snap. You can actually grab all 3 or 4 sections of the rubber grips on the Gitzo and release them simultaneously, pull them out and quarter turn or less to lock.

This point may not apply to all people, but I prefer to work "quietly" if possible. Too much noise will attract attention, this is especially for people that shoot candids or street portraits, etc.

Clips are also prone to snagging onto stuff. Gitzo is more streamlined. So watch out, when you "quick draw".

2) Gitzo legs are slimmer, hence a sexier look compared to Manfrotto. I do agree that Manfrottos appear and feel sturdier.

But if I am gonna fork out at least $450-$750 price range, I also want it to be easier to travel with.

The Gitzo 4 section is shorter, so easier to hide in a backpack or whatever bag that you are using. It is slimmer, so I will have a bit more room for other barang barang, water bottle, extra jacket, maps, guide books, etc, etc.

Just my own opinions and experience so far. Good luck in your hunt for the tripod.

I have a Gitzo GT-1541 after selling off the Manfrotto 055CLB and I will say that twist-lock legs are much faster to deploy. I can easily unlock all 3 knobs with one twist but not so with the flip lock.

Personally, i would go for gitzo for its build, size and stability. With the new g-lock system, it is a lot easier to deploy the tripod compared to its older model. Like Randius has mentioned, you can twist loose all the 3 leg knobs at one go.

I have owe a gitzo tripod and i have no regret owing it. I just regret not buying earlier.:)

I have a Frotto 190CX Pro3, it replaced my very, very old 190, which is still going strong. I won the CX in a competition. I have used Gitzo tripods before, not this particular model though.

So far, have not had any problems with it. I love the fact that I can make the centre column go horizontal, good for taking macro shots at really strange angles.

About the clips, I find them much faster then the Gitzo. For the Gitzo, I have problems doing the twist lock with only one hand, when the other hand is holding on to the camera. Also, I can open both sets of clips on my tripod at one go.

Cannot compare stability, since I have not used the Gitzo you are interested in it. My Frotto can support my weight when I lean onto it.

Have you decided which head you are getting?

I have a Frotto 190CX Pro3, it replaced my very, very old 190, which is still going strong. I won the CX in a competition. I have used Gitzo tripods before, not this particular model though.

So far, have not had any problems with it. I love the fact that I can make the centre column go horizontal, good for taking macro shots at really strange angles.

About the clips, I find them much faster then the Gitzo. For the Gitzo, I have problems doing the twist lock with only one hand, when the other hand is holding on to the camera. Also, I can open both sets of clips on my tripod at one go.

Cannot compare stability, since I have not used the Gitzo you are interested in it. My Frotto can support my weight when I lean onto it.

Have you decided which head you are getting?

Probably i will be getting the markin Q3 head.

gitzo has better build for sure, look at the load cap. vs the tripod weight and height.

but gt1531 does not allow the centre column to be mounted horizontally like the 190cxpro3.

also, i dont think the gt1531 has jam screws to lock the tripod head in place once it is fixed onto the tripod.

the gt1531 also dont have built in bubble level, so setting it up to take pano shots will be difficult.

I think having both the camera plate and ball head level is more important than having the tripod level for pano shots.

I think having both the camera plate and ball head level is more important than having the tripod level for pano shots.

sorry, but i dont understand the part about camera plate. i thought ts is asking about tripod?

as for the bubble level, ya, it depends on individual preference and experience.

how abt the manfrotto 055CXPRO3?

I have the GT1541T and Q3T. The G-lock is fast, just abt half turn to unlock and lock. No time lost compared to quick lock. I handled Velbon quick lock before and it actually slip when I apply some weight on it. Techically 3 section is better than 4 but my combo is ok w my d300 and 18-200VR. If you get Q3T, it has a build in bubble. I decided 1541T against 1531 because it is shorter and compact for travelling. Fit into a normal backpack nicely.

gitzo has better build for sure, look at the load cap. vs the tripod weight and height.

but gt1531 does not allow the centre column to be mounted horizontally like the 190cxpro3.

also, i dont think the gt1531 has jam screws to lock the tripod head in place once it is fixed onto the tripod.

the gt1531 also dont have built in bubble level, so setting it up to take pano shots will be difficult.

Agreed that the Gitzo is much nicer and better build. But for a normal shooter like me, do you think the manfrotto can last me a very long time?

Status
Not open for further replies.