Gitzo CF tripod maintenance question

riverlake15

Dec 21, 2011
Hello Bro/Sis,

I recently used my Gitzo CF tripod when it drizzled for around 30 mins or so. After that, one of the leg is a bit stiff (harder to turn around - need more energy to do it) than the other two. Do I need to lubricate the joint?
I've been using it for 7 month, before this I've never had any issue with it. I was wondering if we need to periodically lubricate the leg joints especially since my tripod is a type which the legs must be turned around each time we use it?

Any helps appreciated! Thanks.

Hello Bro/Sis,

I recently used my Gitzo CF tripod when it drizzled for around 30 mins or so. After that, one of the leg is a bit stiff (harder to turn around - need more energy to do it) than the other two. Do I need to lubricate the joint?
I've been using it for 7 month, before this I've never had any issue with it. I was wondering if we need to periodically lubricate the leg joints especially since my tripod is a type which the legs must be turned around each time we use it?

I do not think it needs to lubricate the legs joint. I also a user of gitzo, been using it for 3 years and no problem at all..

The tripod itself may be carbon fibre but not the screws/moving parts. You may grease it and also check for rust it you find stiffness.

Seems like you don't usually shoot in wet conditions, so don't really need to grease it constantly. Just do a check once every few months or if u notice anything like stiffness/looseness about it.

Hello Bro/Sis,

Yours is the Traveller series with reversing legs (can fold over the ballhead for compact storage) ?
If you find it stiff, open it up and apply some grease. Shouldn't be too difficult :) Normal grease should not affect carbon fibre, nor steel/aluminium for that matter.