Gitzo 1541T such a big improvment over 1540T?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CS TAN

Sep 3, 2007
Hong Kong
Am surprise when I saw 1541T can now support 8kg vs the older 1540T (4.5kg). Everything else looks exactly the same except 1541T now comes with G-Lock and one more step on setting the leg angle.

Does G-Lock really make that much of a difference? Seems to me Gitzo is under pressure from the Gitzo look alike such as Velbon 630, Benro's Travel Angel series which also have claimed their travel tripods can support up to 8kg? Gitzo also claimed their 1227II support up to 8kg...

Or is this just a marketing hype from Gitzo and others?

aiya, watever the weight they can support, it doesnt matter.

a canon 40d at abt 700g, 580exii arnd 700g, a 500mm f4 at arnd 4 kg

total weight = approx 5.4kg.

HOWEVER, ppl still go and buy those near $2k gitzo tripod that supports up to 16kg to support this small little punny 5.4kg. There gitzo "1 series" that can support up to 6kg or 8kg but nobody cares about them to support their 500mmf4. This mean that wat the brochures write are just bullcrap.

my point is, the weight that the tripod claims to support is just bullcrap. What u should do is take the tripod up, feel it in ur hands and then buy it if u like it. Theres no point in looking at the weight that it supports.

Last edited:

HOWEVER, ppl still go and buy those near $2k gitzo tripod that supports up to 16kg to support this small little punny 5.4kg. There gitzo "1 series" that can support up to 6kg or 8kg but nobody cares about them to support their 500mmf4. This mean that wat the brochures write are just bullcrap.

my point is, the weight that the tripod claims to support is just bullcrap. What u should do is take the tripod up, feel it in ur hands and then buy it if u like it. Theres no point in looking at the weight that it supports.
I think you are missing my points here.

What I am asking is why will a new Gitzo 1541T model can suddenly supports up to 8kg when its previous model - 1540T only has a load capacity of 4.5kg with both its legs dimension/materials are almost identical?

Using your example, with the 5.4kg load that your camera gear has, the 1540T will not be able to support it (4.5kg) and the 1541T will have room to spare (8kg). Is there so much difference with the G-Lock?

That was my original question...

thats human nature, to overkill! :devil:

I think you are missing my points here.

What I am asking is why will a new Gitzo 1541T model can suddenly supports up to 8kg when its previous model - 1540T only has a load capacity of 4.5kg with both its legs dimension/materials are almost identical?

Using your example, with the 5.4kg load that your camera gear has, the 1540T will not be able to support it (4.5kg) and the 1541T will have room to spare (8kg). Is there so much difference with the G-Lock?

That was my original question...
not sure, maybe they ain't as conservative in specs now? their tripod specs especially the load capacity always seems conservative compared to others.

The head has a weight, as does the tripod. Plus, some people do like to put bean bags or even their entire backpack as ballast on the tripod for further stability.

i think it has something to do with the rigidity of the new legs with g-lock
I understand you have the 1541T from other discussion. So, what was the max. load you have put on this tripod so far and still feel the loading/picture quality is acceptable to you?

I know the acceptable level really depends on the exposure time that you need from the tripod and the type of lens that you put onto the tripod. So, from your field experience, any comments?

A related question: which ball head will be a perfect fit for 1540T/1541T if you have a load requirement of 5-6kg?

1. Markins Q3/Q3TR
  2. RRS BH-25
  3. others - please specify

With the fold back capability on the 154xT legs, which one will fit better with the legs not sticking out at an angle when folded?

Any comments?

A related question: which ball head will be a perfect fit for 1540T/1541T if you have a load requirement of 5-6kg?

1. Markins Q3/Q3TR
  2. RRS BH-25
  3. others - please specify

With the fold back capability on the 154xT legs, which one will fit better with the legs not sticking out at an angle when folded?

Any comments?

I personally find G-Lock to be awesome (1530 owner). G-Lock reduces the amount of 'throw' from locked position to unlocked, which makes it much faster to work with, almost like my favorite fliplocks on my older tripods. Gitzo's site has a more detailed analysis, including how adding weight helps increase locking pressure.

Over spec'ing tripod carrying capacity and torsional rigidity helps in certain circumstances. I like the fact I can lean comfortably on my Gitzo during long waits and hang my bag from it.

The Q3 is also my favorite ballhead. Tiny but works incredibly well and carries every load I can throw at it.

i'm tempted by the 1541T.. but wonder how much is it locally? else i might get from bH

TK quoted me at $820 last week and there is not many pieces left. With Italians going into their summer vacation, the next shipment is going to be sometimes in late September.

Status
Not open for further replies.