Girrafe :D

ccms91

Jan 26, 2011
5796491357_6a97f78a40_z.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
How to improve the composition of this image?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I wanted to take a portrait photo of a giraffe. I wanted the giraffe to look like its in the wild (like in the Africa plains). I also wanted the giraffe to be oblivious to the camera man, hence i took the giraffe while it was eating with some strips of blurred out leaves.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I took this photo in the afternoon sun, in Singapore Zoo. Because of the barricades, I took this photo from quite a distance.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
For me, I personally feel that the picture gives one the perspective of an excited animal scientist hiding in the bushes to observe wild life, while trying hard not to disturb the peace and tranquility.

Do not hesitate to give any comments! thanks

Last edited:
I think animal portraits are best shot as if you're doing a human portrait. After all, to have a human connect with an animal, a measure of emotional bond is required and hence easier for us to relate if we can apply some sort of humanity unto them. Take a look at White Tiger by tortise, I think it's a great documentary photograph because it was such a truthful capture of the animal. Same here I would prefer a frontal profile of the gentle creature. I don't think the animal is entirely bothered by you or even putting on a 'camera-face' because it knows you're taking it's picture. I can't imagine the thousands or millions of people before you who have pointed their compact cameras at the animals, 1 more person isn't going to faze the creature one bit. I like the idea of shooting through the leaves, but would like to have an emotional connection with the animal.

eye is not sharp and dark