Girl in foetus position

Status
Not open for further replies.

horrorfreeze

Mar 31, 2004
Hello clubsnappers!

I am a noob and will like to seek feedback on this picture, in terms of composition, photography or post-processing techniques.

The camera settings (Panasonic DMC FZ50) used to photograph the original picture before photoshopping are:
Aperture f2.8
Shutter speed 1/8sec
Exposure compensation +2step
ISO 200

I have done the following in the 1st edited pic: glow, highlights, colour temperature, sharpen, focal b/w.

P1030794-3_898_x_1001_.jpg

I have done the following in the 2nd edited pic: film grain, tint, shadows.

P1030794-5_538_x_600_.jpg

I want to depict the feeling of vulnerability in the composition of this pic, and I have deliberately chose to contrast the crisp white shirt of the human subject with the unfinished concrete/stone floor (a small drainage cover at the top left corner).

I am actually the subject and my friend is the fotographer. The lighting condition was natural under the mid-afternoon sun.

The circumstances under which the picture was taken was subconsciously emotional.:embrass:

Just like a baby, she is all curled up, reminiscent of her pre-birth time in the womb where she as a foetus felt safe.

She feels vulnerable having put herself out there and laid her emotions on the table like an open deck of cards, so this womb position shows an imminent desire for safety once again, albeit by herself this time without the nurturing of the mother, because she has to now find and fix her own heart, and bring it to safe ground.

The 'security' of the fetal pose connotes a kind of troubled resting or drugged-out peace, so you can call it false security... I think I have successfully captured the sad and slightly tragic mood?

Personally, I feel that the picture can be better in the following areas: less makeup on the subject's face, more blue tinges around the shirt, and desaturation of the over-brown skin areas.

I hope to achieve different points of view and questions of contention with this pic -
does she seem like she wants to lie down and make all the hurt stop?
does she look like a bummed-out druggie on overdose/abuse?
does she give the vibes of a cute infant?

A friend says she should h've put on some pants, but please do strip away the 'sexual' layers of this pic and give me your critique. The subject is half nude because she is laying her feelings bare. Again, this is consistent with my theme of vulnerability.

What do you guys think at first gut?

My heartfelt thanks to all critics:)

My first impression (especially from the 2nd treatment) is that the girl is dead and abandoned...
Something like that. The expression on the subject's face is quite blank and doesn't quite convey vulnerability...

I do like the colours in the first photo better though.
I would probably have preferred to shoot from a higher point, straight on, and made the hair messier. Would be nice to see more of the face too.

Overall, nice job. :)

just my 2 cents worth on the pic. no offence pls.

i would prefer a higher up angle. try to include the whole model instead of cropping the foot. try to compose the pic tight yet include the environment as well.

can't say i like the DI done with the desat on the foot but i guess thats something subjective.

model shld lose her bangles, bracelets and earrings for the shoot. afaik, she isn't nude or anything and if she was, it could have added on to the impact of the pic. it might be better if she turned her face abit to face the camera but no need to face it straight on. make up is fine but its just how u apply it.

lighting seems uneven so u get different skin tone on the model.

as for the emotions invoked, i would say personally, the pic gave me the feeling the subject is resting peacefully and is weary rather than being a druggie or otherwise. not edgy enough.

I really do not see the point of this set of pictures.

From a technical stand point, most of the details are blown. The lighting is flat.
From an emotional stand point, I feel neither stress nor calm. Well, if this is intended to portray calmness, the tensions on the legs spoiled everything. If the intention is to show stress, well, the fetal position generally depicts calmness and safety. So it does not work.

One thing this image, this theme, cries for a nude image.

I would probably have preferred to shoot from a higher point, straight on, and made the hair messier. Would be nice to see more of the face too.

yes, on hindsight, i agree with you about the higher point. the slight slant is not good for the pic. i think not enough thought was put in this photo. we didn't think it through much before shooting. thanks though!

can't say i like the DI done with the desat on the foot but i guess thats something subjective.

i did desat on the feet because i wanted to draw attention from the lower torso to the drain area. guess it's not obvious enough :)

the feet looks stressed, not relax.

after thinking about your comment, i realise my theme is more of FALSE SECURITY rather than vulnerability. the body looks relaxed but the feet betrays tension.

One thing this image, this theme, cries for a nude image.

absolutely. i might reshoot nude with better lighting. need a lot of air-brushing though! --> physically and in photoshop.

thankies deadpoet.

after thinking about your comment, i realise my theme is more of FALSE SECURITY rather than vulnerability. the body looks relaxed but the feet betrays tension.

How does someone lying in a drainage area invoke a sense 'security' such that the viewer can then extrapolate 'false security' from the tension in the feet? With the grittiness of the exposed concrete and drain, the photo could work if the model actually looked vulnerable, but she looks too relaxed and 'clean'.

My opinion: The perfect white shirt and wonderfully smooth skin are a total negative to theme. I partly agree with the drugged-out theme...though this doesnt mean the subject is vulnerable. Looks more like she went on a binge drinking session with some of her girl friends and passed out in the bathroom. With the stress in the feet, clean white shirt, smooth skin, a bangle.....man, this is the perfect Saturday 3am shot after a huge session with friends on a friday night.

was totally captivated by the Title...

Probably due to the position of her right hand, some how lead me to think of her as wrist cutting suicidée.

Status
Not open for further replies.