GIMP vs Photoshop

Which image software do you use more?

Results are only viewable after voting.

slaam

Aug 29, 2004
West
naturespies.blogspot.com
read online that photoshop is one of the most sought after prog for linux.. which is interesting cos you would think that gimp will fulfill casual photoshop users..
I have yet to meet a large bunch of ppl who die die have to use a PS feature not found in gimp ..
what say you?

Photoshop CS has a new feature that is very very useful. "Shadow/Highlight" adjustment. That I will die die need.

But I've never used GIMP so I don't know its features.

besides the Shadow/Highlights, it's got the Photo Filters too which i think is cool. :thumbsup:

one of the features i used quite often is the Exposure.

Bred on Photoshop, so switching to GIMP will mean a lot of getting used to its interface and shortcut keys.

I do touchups (healing brush, dodge and burn), so I don't know if GIMP will give me the same tools and flexibility.

I've used GIMP for a while, and it's actually a sufficient replacement for average digicam users looking to adjust image size, curves, levels, sharpening, etc. - all for free.

Ah Pao said:
Bred on Photoshop, so switching to GIMP will mean a lot of getting used to its interface and shortcut keys.

I do touchups (healing brush, dodge and burn), so I don't know if GIMP will give me the same tools and flexibility.

I've used GIMP for a while, and it's actually a sufficient replacement for average digicam users looking to adjust image size, curves, levels, sharpening, etc. - all for free.

GIMPshop is catered to making your gimp experience like that of photoshop so the learning curve is less steep.

one thing that photoshop doesn't have or i can't find, is the many filters to make web logos and buttons using installed scripts..

but yeah i find that photoshop is really the definitive software if you are in the industry... cos printer and color management support is a big issue..

i using Gimp for most of the adjustments coz my comp's RAM cannot take PS's enormous appetite for ram ...

I would say if you really love your hobby go for photoshop ;p

West_ray said:
i using Gimp for most of the adjustments coz my comp's RAM cannot take PS's enormous appetite for ram ...
Eh how much RAM and how many MP for your files? I've edited on my 256MB machine with 6MP files, RAW and JPG... A bit slow but still ok...

I used GIMP for some level/color/sharpening, where can I find PS without paying three digits?
PS got USM which GIMP can not provide.

slaam said:
read online that photoshop is one of the most sought after prog for linux.. which is interesting cos you would think that gimp will fulfill casual photoshop users..
I have yet to meet a large bunch of ppl who die die have to use a PS feature not found in gimp ..
what say you?
Like the Healing brush? CS2 has a lot of features GIMP doesn't have. Then again, you need to pay a lot for it, so I use GIMP. Can't afford Photoshop.

philliptan said:
Photoshop CS has a new feature that is very very useful. "Shadow/Highlight" adjustment. That I will die die need.

But I've never used GIMP so I don't know its features.
Most of my brightness/contrast/shadow/highlights are performed by using Levels.

Even the creators of Gimp says that it is not as powerful as photoshop. In addition to that, people in the linux community agree that Linux have some miles to catch up with MS on a few areas especially in multimedia. Just the lack of colour management in Linux alone is enough to keep a lot of people from trying out linux. :think:

lsisaxon said:
Like the Healing brush? CS2 has a lot of features GIMP doesn't have. Then again, you need to pay a lot for it, so I use GIMP. Can't afford Photoshop.

Me use Gimp too. Just can't bear to spend so much on photoshop. I also use free raw converter, anti-virus and so on.

idor said:
Just the lack of colour management in Linux alone is enough to keep a lot of people from trying out linux. :think:

Linux (i.e. the kernel) has no idea of colour management, just as kernel32.exe probably has no idea of colour management. Colour management libraries for use by applications do exist and are used on Linux-based systems.

I'm a PS die-hard. Won't use anything else. Besides if you're going to invest time in learning a new skill, might as well be something widely used. Did you know that being able to use PS is a plus for job interviews? Its ranked up there with MS Office, Dreamweaver etc. Talk about IT skills!

idor said:
Even the creators of Gimp says that it is not as powerful as photoshop. In addition to that, people in the linux community agree that Linux have some miles to catch up with MS on a few areas especially in multimedia. Just the lack of colour management in Linux alone is enough to keep a lot of people from trying out linux. :think:
No one asked you to use the Linux version lah! Win32 version is available.

i think we should hv one sticky thread for gimp just like photoshop@www.

who agreesss?

jacob said:
i think we should hv one sticky thread for gimp just like photoshop@www.

who agreesss?
I'm for!