[GIMP] RAW Conversion Equals Soft Images?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravia

Dec 18, 2008
Hi,

I would like to find out from all the GIMP users if they have experienced seeing the pin sharp images in RAW turn really soft after saving it into JPEG format?

It is happening to me since I started shooting in RAW format. In fact I shoot RAW + Basic Jpeg and when I see the end results, it always puzzles me that the basic jpeg and the RAW files are pin sharp but post RAW conversion to Jpeg, the end result is disappointingly soft.

TIA!

Hi,

I would like to find out from all the GIMP users if they have experienced seeing the pin sharp images in RAW turn really soft after saving it into JPEG format?

It is happening to me since I started shooting in RAW format. In fact I shoot RAW + Basic Jpeg and when I see the end results, it always puzzles me that the basic jpeg and the RAW files are pin sharp but post RAW conversion to Jpeg, the end result is disappointingly soft.

TIA!
how you know your RAW is pin sharp? if you come to this conclusion by looking at the LCD on the cam then you are not looking at the RAW but at in camera JPEG rendering of the RAW file, basically you cannot look at the raw file. The cam will apply sharpening to the RAW file when it is converted to JPEG making it pin sharp. so when you do your RAW conversion you need to apply sharpening as well.

It will be good if you check the amount of sharpening you have applied in-camera.

On a raw file, the only options on camera that has any effect is your ISO, shutter speed and aperture. The other options, such as white balance, contrast and sharpening do not apply to your raw file, so you have to do some post processing to obtain your desired image.

It will be good if you check the amount of sharpening you have applied in-camera.

On a raw file, the only options on camera that has any effect is your ISO, shutter speed and aperture. The other options, such as white balance, contrast and sharpening do not apply to your raw file, so you have to do some post processing to obtain your desired image.

how you know your RAW is pin sharp? if you come to this conclusion by looking at the LCD on the cam then you are not looking at the RAW but at in camera JPEG rendering of the RAW file, basically you cannot look at the raw file. The cam will apply sharpening to the RAW file when it is converted to JPEG making it pin sharp. so when you do your RAW conversion you need to apply sharpening as well.

Hi Michael & Cantaresg,
Thanks for your response.
I check for sharpness by looking at the RAW file on my computer.
I didn't apply any in cam sharpening.
That's why it puzzled me.
Do both of you use GIMP as well?

Hi,
Hi Michael & Cantaresg,
Thanks for your response.
I check for sharpness by looking at the RAW file on my computer.
I didn't apply any in cam sharpening.
That's why it puzzled me.
Do both of you use GIMP as well?
You use UFRaw to open RAW file in GIMP?? I had GIMP, but never use it as it don't support 16-bit colours.

Anyway, I convert one of my TIFF to jpeg using GIMP and the sharpness is still the same. May be you should check the jpeg conversion setting when you save as jpeg... especially the settings under the Advanced Options, such as smoothing... you might set it too high which make the image soft.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Hi Weixing,
Yes I use UFRaw. I will relook at my settings again just to be sure.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers.

There is an option in UFRaw to decrease the noise. You need to be careful, as it would make the output of your jpeg looks soft.

All my pictures are done using UFRaw and Gimp. You should try to sharpen the picture a bit after you load the picture from UFRaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.