Ghost Town

JoonWeh

Dec 30, 2012
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hey guys! It's the amateur here again, and hoping to garner some critique from the pros here! :D

1.In what area is critique to be sought?

Actually anything under the sun really! Composition, post processing and perhaps presentation, maybe? I also did some perspective correction, would like to know if i actually did it correctly!

2.What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

As the title suggests, i was trying to portray a ghost town. A day of apocalypse, where Singapore would be deserted, a huge transformation from a now bustling city to a place with no one at all. The hazy effect and the black and white has been used to achieve this effect! Hope to know if it works for you guys!

3.Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Well, it was pretty hot that day and i was sweating all over and was pretty unhappy about it. BUT, i was also trying out my new LEE Big Stopper that i had got the previous day, so i guess the excitement cancels out the unhappiness due to the weather. HAHA!

4.What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Personally, i think this conveys a sense of loneliness and also has a slight tinge of a end-of-the-world dejection. What do you think? ;)

THANK YOU, and hope you enjoy it!

Ghost Town by JoonWeh, on Flickr

buildings seem to be too clean to give an end-of-world feeling. LOL. IMHO

HAHA, ohyeah now that you've mentioned it! I might have overlooked that... Well, i guess the end of world JUST started! LOL. Thanks for the comment! :D

i think you can add more postprocessing to the photo to accentuate the "ghost town" mood that you are trying to portray.
8613883034_418a548455_b.jpg

(e.g. selective out-of-focus region, vignetting, film effect (agfa) added using photoscape)

Thanks for the comment and taking time to put in an example, zaren! Much appreciated! :D And yes i do agree some of the film like effects enhanced a feel!

Yes yes... ghost towns evoke the feeling of darkness.. your photo is too bright and cheery for that.. think dark... :devil:

a little visuals taken from google for your future inspiration:

Dark_Night_in_Old_Town_by_intao.png

Ghost_Town_by_Ice_Dark.jpg

Dark_house_II_by_VladikS.jpg

nice take but i felt that the photo is a little left heavy (i understand that u are trying the center the LG big screen)

Yeah i tried to allow the whole composition to feel more symmetric! And was stuck with the dilemma of either the LG screen or the whole shot itself... Thanks for the kind words too! Appreciate the time taken to critique!

JoonWeh said:
Wow, pretty amazing examples right there. Thanks for that! Appreciate it bro!

Bonrya not bro. More like is sis.