GFSP II can improve this problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modenaslim

Mar 2, 2003
Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
Visit site
Hi all,

Seeking advise from experience users here..
Currently using 10D with 17-40L + 430EX to shoot indoors with low ceiling..

Some good sample of photos to highlight my problems..

bounce_2.jpg

bounce_3.jpg

bounce_1.jpg

I dun like direct flash/ and i dun think anyone here shoot direct in indoor with low ceiling, but i always need to adjust the flash angle > 45-90 deg to get a correct bounce => to have a proper exposed pic.

(1) Very typical problems i had, two rows of people - top rows always get over-expose.
(2) Then you shoot closer / far-away, the exposure again change. A bit hard to predict.
(3) Had tried with omnibounce but the result isn't satisfied.

Would like to try out the GF LS II, What is all your feedback on LS? Coz seeing a lot of people selling LS also, not sure good o not...

If the ceiling is really that low, can try to shoot from further away and tilt the flash more towards the front. I guess the lightsphere can solve the prob too ba.

I don't think that there is a problem with your technique.

You just didn't adjust flash exposure compensation on either the flash or your cam.

Why don't you try that out first and see whether does that solve your problem before getting a GF SP II...

You just didn't adjust flash exposure compensation on either the flash or your cam.

Why don't you try that out first and see whether does that solve your problem before getting a GF SP II...

LS will solve your prob.so will a bounce card such as flippit.

u have to remember to up your flash compensation, else your pics will come out underexposed.

actually, i'd beg to differ - this is a technique problem.

these photos appear to be shot with a 45-deg forward tilt flash - note the angle and harshness of the shadows under the subjects' chins in the first two shots.

what's happening is that your subjects' heads are getting lit up by direct light from your flash, and not from the ceiling bounce. in other words, your flash is tilted too low to make an effective bounce!

you would do much better to point the flash head straight up at the ceiling, or slightly behind (ie. swivel the head 180 degrees to the back and then use 75-90 degrees tilt).

for example:

i'd strongly recommend experimenting with the bounce angle (and zoom, if the 430EX supports flash zoom settings) before dropping cash on a GFLS/II.

one of the shots i can get with direct bounce. 90 degree up and shoot. ceiling was about 1.5 to 2 metres away.

6a20gathering13ou2.jpg

no flash exposure compensation was used. shot at iso 400 at f5.6 at shutter speed of 1/60 (not very sure of shutter speed)

430EX with 50 1.8 on a 400D

i am seriously considering to get a GF LS as well. but then the price of a bounce card just deters me. :D

Taken with a 430EX indoors low celing with a 75 degree bounce and subject about 2 metres away form camera. 70-200 f/4 @4.5 1/180sec with no FEC and no flash modifiers.

I think what was said about you tilting too much might be true. The LS does help even out the shadows cast though.

Taken with a 430EX indoors low celing with a 75 degree bounce and subject about 2 metres away form camera. 70-200 f/4 @4.5 1/180sec with no FEC and no flash modifiers.

I think what was said about you tilting too much might be true. The LS does help even out the shadows cast though.

hey there. a very nice shot of the cat! image appeals to me because of the softness and yet the detail :thumbsup:

Get the LS II PJ. Ever since i got my 580EX, the LS is my only light diffuser i have, No need for others such as omnibounce and bounce card. Results are really impressive.

U can chose between the clear and cloud ones.

i have both the clear and cloudy.
1 thing i have to tell u about the LS, it will decrease flash coverage distance significantly,
so unless you UP the flashexp or use a higher iso, or bigger apert, you are going to get underex images.

do read "how to shoot banquet' thread in newbies folder.
informative advices some oldies give by do not read after page 15-20 thereabouts as it's full of my offtopic threads.

those photos were very obviously shot with the flash head set to a tilted angel (45/60 angle) and very likely without bounce card.

Ask yourself:
Do you know when to use an angle tilt?
Why did you want to tilt it at such an angle?

i have both the clear and cloudy.
1 thing i have to tell u about the LS, it will decrease flash coverage distance significantly,
so unless you UP the flashexp or use a higher iso, or bigger apert, you are going to get underex images.

Underexposed will depend not only the amount of flash given out, but also how far u are away from your subjects. So if u're standing more than 4 or 5 metres away from your subject, the LS is useless.....might as well direct flash.

Underexposed will depend not only the amount of flash given out, but also how far u are away from your subjects. So if u're standing more than 4 or 5 metres away from your subject, the LS is useless.....might as well direct flash.

direct flash with LS on :thumbsup:

Confirm problem is with technique. Flash EV only increase more flash power. Pic would just become brighter but the problem shown in the photo is diffusion of light. Hence problem is confirmed technique. But this technique seems to be related to equipment setup. When u said 45 degrees tilt, what do u mean? Can shoot a photo how u set your flash? Since 430 does not have bounce card, how do u bounce your light? Seems that u did not use a bounce card.

Confirm problem is with technique. Flash EV only increase more flash power. Pic would just become brighter but the problem shown in the photo is diffusion of light. Hence problem is confirmed technique. But this technique seems to be related to equipment setup. When u said 45 degrees tilt, what do u mean? Can shoot a photo how u set your flash? Since 430 does not have bounce card, how do u bounce your light? Seems that u did not use a bounce card.

There's always an external bounce card.

yes.of course.
BUT u can compensate with iso.

after reading the 'how to shoot banquet' thread and experiences myself, i've learnt alot about the LS.

someone even put aluminium foil in the rear half to bounce more light to the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.