Getting your nature photos published

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digiman

Jan 30, 2004
First of all, I know know that this is supposed to be a gallery and may not be the appropriate place to post this. However, I have decided to post it here because my target audience is all nature photographers.

I have seen some incredible shots posted here and really think that it is a waste if they are not published.

I am talking to some people about sponsoring the publication of a book on birds of Singapore. My concept is very different from what is already available on the market. However, for this project to take off, I would need the contribution of CSers. I think if fellow CSers can work together, we probably already have all the materials needed for the book.

It would also give us a goal to work towards and perhaps more meaning to or justification for the insect bites, sun burns, aching muscles etc we have to put up with in order to get the shots.

Last but not least, to some of us, we can now justify to our other half why we need to spend another $3K on equipment! :D

Before I can proceed any further with this, I need an indication of the level of interest esp. from birding experts like chngpe01, skfoo, avatar, Garion, Harlequin etc (this list is not meant to be exhaustive).

Let me know what you guys think.

Digiman,

Thanks for the compliments. I am still learning and far from being a birding expert.

If the publication is for the purpose of creating nature awareness to support nature conservation, I will be glad to help.

Keep me posted. ;)

Cheers!

skfoo said:
Digiman,

Thanks for the compliments. I am still learning and far from being a birding expert.

If the publication is for the purpose of creating nature awareness to support nature conservation, I will be glad to help.

Keep me posted. ;)

Cheers!
Thanks skfoo. I am meeting the potential sponsors on Wednesday morning to sell the idea & to convince them to take part in the poject. As such, I would appreciate confirmation of interests/ contributions/ suggestions latest by Monday.

Digiman said:
First of all, I know know that this is supposed to be a gallery and may not be the appropriate place to post this. However, I have decided to post it here because my target audience is all nature photographers.

Digiman, I've edited your thread title and moved it to Exhibitions & Events, since it's more of a coordinated activity than a gallery. BTW, kudos to your initiative for the book. I'm sure the nature shooters would love the opportunities provided. Let us know if we can support you in any way.

The Moderator
ClubSNAP

Larry said:
Digiman, I've edited your thread title and moved it to Exhibitions & Events, since it's more of a coordinated activity than a gallery. BTW, kudos to your initiative for the book. I'm sure the nature shooters would love the opportunities provided. Let us know if we can support you in any way.

The Moderator
ClubSNAP
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your offer. Right now, I just wish to get max. support from CSer. Can you stick this thread to the top? I just want to ensure that CSers get to see it. Thanks.

I am also talking to Nature Society to explore ways to cooperate with them on this.

Well, if i may offer any of my lousy photos, i could. Just stick my name at 6pt font at the back of the credits page or what can liao. :D No need to pay me anything, FOC.

Hi Digiman,

Thanks for taking the move to initiate this project, you have my fullest support. :thumbsup: I am no birding expert, but just wish to play my part, however small it may be, to expose more people to the beauty of nature and also encourage nature conservation efforts, through the pics.

Do keep us updated, we will try to help out the best we can.

Garion said:
Hi Digiman,

Thanks for taking the move to initiate this project, you have my fullest support. :thumbsup: I am no birding expert, but just wish to play my part, however small it may be, to expose more people to the beauty of nature and also encourage nature conservation efforts, through the pics.

Do keep us updated, we will try to help out the best we can.
Hi Garion

Thanks for the support.

Here's what I have in mind. From the photographers' point of view, I want to provide an opportunity for good photos to be published. I'm not impressed by what I see on the shelves now. I think any of your photos posted on CS would beat them!!

However, it would seem pointless and self-centred for us to just get together & print a book full of photos. There should be a more worthy goal in mind.

I notice that there is a real lack of awareness amongst the layman about the rich and vibrant bird population in Singapore. Most of my friends were surprised when I show them the photos taken by CSer and inform them that they were taken right here in Singapore.

On a broader context, how many foreigners would think that the concrete jungle that is Singapore would contain such a wide variety of wild birds?

With that in mind, I have approached the Tourism Promotion Board to sponsor the project. I am also seeking assistance from Nature Society. Any NSS members here?

I am meeting with TPB on Wednesday morning to sell them the idea. I would love to meet up with those CSers who are interested in the project to get valuable ideas and suggestions before the meeting, because I think I will only get one chance at this.

Bro, I love to support but my shooting skill is still veri rojak. Anyway you still have my mental support....Upz for you! :bsmilie:

Cheers

the Nature Society's anniversary book collecting all of Singapore's wildlife in photographs was pretty good. I'm sure that the NSS will be publishing a similar book like that in the future.

For Birds alone, I turn to Birds in our Midst by Chew Yen Fook for inspiration. This was a book of bird photographs sponsored by BP with a foreword by the then Minister for National Development.

There was also a Chinese language bird book published recently:

"Looking through Binoculars" is written by Cheong Loong Fah, a long-time NSS member and keen birdwatcher, and represents the first book on nature writing in Singapore. It is a compilation of the articles (mainly on birds) that he wrote for Lianhe Zaobao spanning a duration of about 2 years. These articles have attracted a growing readership who, through them, have learnt to enjoy, appreciate and understand and finally to treasure our nature.

The book is also greatly enhanced by the photographs of birds taken by well-known nature photographers Ong Kiem Sian, Alan Owyong, Morten Strange, Lau Won Soon and Goo Chuen Hang.

Digiman said:
With that in mind, I have approached the Tourism Promotion Board to sponsor the project. I am also seeking assistance from Nature Society. Any NSS members here?

Future potential NSS member counted or not? :embrass:

All my photos also 难登大雅之堂 but you have my full support ;)

Do keep us updated.

100% support from me bro.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.