Getting to know my NIKON D800

UncleFai said:
How much details you think you can pull out of the dark areas in the last shot?

The details were there I actually made them darker. Let me do an experiment for you to show the dynamic range of this camera.

this is a snap shot that i took from my car. not a good image

before4.jpg

but there is so much information in the JPEG file that with some skill you can massage some life into it.

after6.jpg

let me look for a more extreme case

Last edited:
Hi Ortega,

Thanks for sharing openly with us. It's a lot of effort and it's appreciated.

May I ask if it's possible to show a 100% crop of the dark/bright areas of the photos above, and how you did this?

Thanks very much and keep up the good work!

Hi Ortega,

Thanks for sharing openly with us. It's a lot of effort and it's appreciated.

May I ask if it's possible to show a 100% crop of the dark/bright areas of the photos above, and how you did this?

Thanks very much and keep up the good work!

ooops, i only processed and saved the file at 700px wide for posting here.
you are looking for high ISO noise tests?

my normal way is to screen and multiply different parts to achieve what i want.

Hi Ortega,

No, not ISO noise, interested to see how you pulled details out and how it affects bright/dark areas.

Thanks a lot!

DSC_1718.jpg

the full test image, the red rectangle is the area where the 100% crop came from

screen_test.jpg

the darker part on the left is original and each lighter area is a new layer set to screen 100%
this is a 100% crop

Thanks a lot! Great stuff!

Still learning about the camera and what it can and cannot do.

The amount of information in the file is amazing. But because it is so amazing, everything is captured and enhanced. So I cannot be lazy or sloppy with my technique. I have had nice moments ruined because of camera shake. But those that were executed well were amazing. Scenes with lots of detail were especially nice.

Last edited:
see the amount of data in a file
this is the original shot
1497.jpg

then i pull in the highlights
2381.jpg

then i bring out the shadow details
3300.jpg

and finally i put them altogether
4230.jpg

ortega said:
see the amount of data in a file
this is the original shot

then i pull in the highlights

then i bring out the shadow details

and finally i put them altogether

How you done? Took with HDR?

Nope this was created with 1 jpeg shot, this experiment is to show the amount of data that is recorded and can be used in a large fine Jpeg file.

rain5533 said:

Make a copy of the original. Then in your favorite post processing software, drag the exposure to +3 or whatever. The previously properly exposed area will now white out. But the dark area will brighten up. Don't worry about the former, increase the dark area until you are happy with the details (don't go too far - those area are suppose to be dark). Now save this version.

Then using your PP software merge the two shots as if it is HDR.

not HDR. Use different blend modes and mask. Duplicate a layer and use Screen mode to bring out shadow details and apply mask. Use another layer in Multiply mode to bring out highlight details and mask accordingly.

jopel said:
not HDR. Use different blend modes and mask. Duplicate a layer and use Screen mode to bring out shadow details and apply mask. Use another layer in Multiply mode to bring out highlight details and mask accordingly.

Thanks you guy..

750mm!!?! What combination is that?

sorry, should be 720mm equivalent. Guess i hv posted at the wrong thread. This was taken with a fujifilm HS20EXR.
The image quality is quite amazing though, handheld and straight from the cam. The skin tone is SO perfect.

Last edited: