Getting started on macro for FZ20

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiki

Sep 16, 2004
weekee.fotopic.net
hi all,

i am a beginner here trying to learn a bit on close up photography. anyone can give recommendation on what is a good and afforable close up filter to get for use with fz20? thanks

hi just curious about one thing. why do most get the filter from outside? close up filters are not available in singapore? another question is whether do you get the filters in a set? thanks!

wiki said:
hi just curious about one thing. why do most get the filter from outside? close up filters are not available in singapore? another question is whether do you get the filters in a set? thanks!

Not true lar... Can get CU filters all over the place. hehehe
But who knows :dunno: .. maybe its a lot cheaper overseas???? :think:

btw is it better for a beginner to get a close up filter or a macro lenses? i am not very sure about the differences...anyone got any advice to share? thanks!

wiki said:
btw is it better for a beginner to get a close up filter or a macro lenses? i am not very sure about the differences...anyone got any advice to share? thanks!

A macro lens is for the DSLR or SLR chaps.

FZ lens is already fixed. Close up lens is the fastest and easiest way to do macro for FZ. Its like the normal filters, you screw tham on.

You can attach normal lens to the FZ like nzmacro here: http://www.nzmacro.50megs.com/fz10setups22.html Not sure how he do it, but it works.

Firefox said:
You use a reverse mount for that. Get an adaptor with threads on both sides, screw one side onto the camera and the other to a SLR lens mounted backwards.

I understand what you are saying, but he does not use reverse lens, he mount it in the normal orientation by modifying the rear lens cover (not front lens cap). If you see his website, he did the same with his older digital cameras. You can see here too....http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=40948&forum_id=23&highlight=nzmacro

For reverse lens, I am exploring how to do it on my camera.....trying to get all the accessories.....

tchuanye said:
I understand what you are saying, but he does not use reverse lens, he mount it in the normal orientation by modifying the rear lens cover (not front lens cap). If you see his website, he did the same with his older digital cameras. You can see here too....http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=40948&forum_id=23&highlight=nzmacro

For reverse lens, I am exploring how to do it on my camera.....trying to get all the accessories.....

Perhaps you've not read his homepage properly?

No Hoods or adaptors used except for the one that came with the FZ10. That houses a couple of lenses used in reverse.

What apperture setting do you all use for your macro shots? Just checking if I understand what apperture settings do... Will using F2.8 make the DOF shallow so that the subject is clear and the rest of background blurred?

:embrass: May seem like dumb question but me still newbie..

yup. 2.8 is better. :)

mpark said:
What apperture setting do you all use for your macro shots? Just checking if I understand what apperture settings do... Will using F2.8 make the DOF shallow so that the subject is clear and the rest of background blurred?

Bigger apertures reduce DoF. As does zooming in onto the object.

mpark said:

An example here, taken with F2.8, 1/13 sec, ISO 100, focal length is 22.7mm:

CNY03.jpg

One other thing, do you all fix the ISO at a setting you like? Or just leave it on Auto?

mpark said:
One other thing, do you all fix the ISO at a setting you like? Or just leave it on Auto?

For me, I will set manual for anything and everything that is possible. In this case, I will have control over the outcome I want to achieve.

Leaving things to auto may or may not get what I want to achieve, sometimes.

Thanks JimDavis, Firefox, and Sunkist for your info and advice! :)

mpark said:

Generally, you are right, that F2.8 will have shallow DOP, and will result in background blur, e.g for portraits.

But for Macro, especially if at high magnification, the DOF is already very shallow, so try to set the max F number. Just my 2c.

Ah... I see... Thanks! Will experiment...

hi wiki, did u get ur fz20 working with filters? i'm interested in seeing some sample macro shots...

damithc said:
hi wiki, did u get ur fz20 working with filters? i'm interested in seeing some sample macro shots...

sad to say i been busy this new year hols. anyway i am planning to get a 62mm c.polarizer and a +4 double element closeup filter this week.

any recommendation on the brand and the price to get.

just a suggestion, perhaps we can have a sticky thread that list an estimate price for the stuff that we commonly get, e.g filters, flash, battery etc. For a newbie like me, i think it is quite useful cos when we get stuff from sim lim, the way they quote their prices really feel like u can get con anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.