Getting Photoshop first before DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandiacus

Jun 27, 2008
Hougang
Hey fellow CSers, I'm kinda waiting for my budget to settle for a DSLR but to open RAW files, do I have to get a Photoshop or a similar software even before I purchase a DSLR? :think:

Depends on what brand of camera you intend to buy, the software to open the RAW files might be in the package already.

Then again, you can always start with JPEG right? One outing easily a few hundred files, if you intend to always shoot RAW for leisure you'd probably give up photography real fast.

I think all camera brands allow you to open raw, although the processing may be a little limited. For example, Nikon View (think latest is NX) is free and allows raw processing, limited option but I had found it usable. And Canon ships its own raw software with the camera AFAIK (you need to confirm).

The last option is to get Photoshop Elements, currently in Version 7.

But definitely buy DSLR first. No camera but got Photoshop is, to say the least, strange. And by the time you save up for a DSLR, your photoshop goes obsolete.

TS.... most camera maker will give you a CD with a simple program to convert RAW to Jpeg..... you could even do some editing with it.

If not..... then get Adobe PhotoShop Element 5.0 (older = cheaper) or the newer 6.0 ..... I think you could get them at below $200 at some shops. But I can't confirm :embrass:

Do anyone out there know the lastest price on Adobe Element ??:think:

I see...thanks for your help.

I currently have PS CS2 sitting in my external HDD though, just kinda curious whether I really have to install it or not.

CS2 may not have the camera raw plugin for the latest dslr. Check the Adobe website to find out.

Canon and Nikon (I think) both include free software to use RAW files.

Status
Not open for further replies.