Getting my first Dslr

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirtyone

Dec 13, 2008
As stated above.. I've got no clues what to look out for or if the price is overrated for a camera.
1. I don't want to go Sim Lim and get my throat cut.
2. I kinda' prefer Olympus.. is it a recommended brand among Nikon and Canon?
3. I won't mind a second hand set.
4. My budget is $600
5. Wanna get a fairly good one

Someone help!! Thanks in advance!! ;)

second hand 350d? suits your budget, and it's quite a good camera to start out with.

As stated above.. I've got no clues what to look out for or if the price is overrated for a camera.
Good idea! Check the price lists and Consumer Corner, there you'll find the recommended shops, 1 is in Sim Lim: Orient Photo. Good to find cause it's 6th floor. No change getting wrong there.
Ooouch :) - it's not yet 1 April, right?
If you like Olympus then check the Oly subforum. The guys will surely assist you, also considering your other 3 points:
4. My budget is $600

4. My budget is $600

With that budget, suggest you go to buy/sell equipment to have a look. Note that it may or may not come with lens depending on the model.

4. My budget is $600

May I know why you're more interested in Olympus?

How picky are you in low-light performance, ISO performance?

You can get a E520 with kit lens if you are lucky... Or else, a E510 with dual kit lens.. 2nd hand probably $700. :)

Think e300 is a good choice? Is it a earlier dslr compared to 350d?

Think e300 is a good choice? Is it a earlier dslr compared to 350d?

No. Probably not. Try the E500 or E510 if you really need a cheaper one.

May I know why you're more interested in Olympus?

How picky are you in low-light performance, ISO performance?

You can get a E520 with kit lens if you are lucky... Or else, a E510 with dual kit lens.. 2nd hand probably $700. :)

Probably cause it's one of the brands where you can get the later few dslr and not burn a hole in your pocket? Actually I'm alright with Nikon or Canon. Just not too much over my budget will do..

If it's a 6Megapixels dslr nikon/canon cam, will it lose out to olympus e420 or e510 or e520?? =(

Probably cause it's one of the brands where you can get the later few dslr and not burn a hole in your pocket? Actually I'm alright with Nikon or Canon. Just not too much over my budget will do..

If it's a 6Megapixels dslr nikon/canon cam, will it lose out to olympus e420 or e510 or e520?? =(

Frankly speaking, most DSLRs in the market do equally well, if you know how to work around limitations. You won't go wrong with any brand.

Photos from 6MP or 10MP will be equally bad if the photos aren't taken well in the first place.

The extra resolution is more for extra cropping/printing size. :)

Olympus makes great dslr with a smaller build & excellent range of "Digital" lens... given it's price-point. But the ISO performance & lack of a "portrait" lens make me look elsewhere... :think:

canon and nikon is more for mainstream users , like honda and toyota . Olympus is more for discerning users who are real photographers. So you won't go wrong with any olmypus really.

canon and nikon is more for mainstream users , like honda and toyota . Olympus is more for discerning users who are real photographers. So you won't go wrong with any olmypus really.

LOL. Real photographers... Then why are pros mostly using N/C? :bsmilie:

Oh no, here we go again.

second hand 350d? suits your budget, and it's quite a good camera to start out with.

Here's the reason why I thought of a e300 instead of others..? Think it's good enough? Or the dslr model is too old and unreasonable to purchase..?
(Pictures below are taken with a e300)
40cxib6qzz820a57s2vj.jpg

uggxs2g8997stugn9ftu.jpg

Anybody holding a e510 or e420, mind posting the photos taken with it? Thanks!

Here's the reason why I thought of a e300 instead of others..? Think it's good enough? Or the dslr model is too old and unreasonable to purchase..?
40cxib6qzz820a57s2vj.jpg

uggxs2g8997stugn9ftu.jpg

You can get photos like this with any DSLRs. Turn up the WB, to get a warmer feel. Or post-process.

You can view some Olympus photos taken by Olympus users here.

40cxib6qzz820a57s2vj.jpg

uggxs2g8997stugn9ftu.jpg

Pics like this can also be taken with any point-and-shoot. Just look in the buy and sell sections, look at oly, sony, pentax, canon and nikon models in your price range.

Is that a joke? SO if i use an Oly means i'm a real photographer? :devil::bsmilie: DUde, you are so BUSTED. :)

With his budget, prolly can get a d60 nikon or 350d canon , if he wanna get Oly, by all means, please do. Last i read from a photography mag about the latest Oly E-30, "..will appeal to artistic sorts."

I laughed at the review, because it has "ART FILTER". I just find it amusing~

Last edited:
Is that a joke? SO if i use an Oly means i'm a real photographer? :devil::bsmilie: DUde, you are so BUSTED. :)

With his budget, prolly can get a d60 nikon or 350d canon , if he wanna get Oly, by all means, please do. Last i read from a photography mag about the latest Oly E-30, "..will appeal to artistic sorts."

I laughed at the review, because it has "ART FILTER". I just find it amusing~

Real professionals work in challenging environs and conditions, so far only olympus can work in these conditions well. Try bringing your 350d in the rain and see what happens.

Real professionals work in challenging environs and conditions, so far only olympus can work in these conditions well. Try bringing your 350d in the rain and see what happens.

Well, have you pushed your A700 hard? I've used an A700 in the rain too. :)

Hmm... try a E410 in the rain storm.... without the weather seal... would it still work? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.