Getting Lens online.

stupidbear

Oct 9, 2005
Paya Lebar
Is BH Photo one of the cheapest place to get a lens?

I've been trying to get the 40mm f2.8 ltd but no one seem to be selling.
Went to ebay,BH photo and Adorama and BH quoted the lowest.

Locally, as seen from http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534146, it's might be a bit more expensive, subject to exchange rates.

Just wondering if there are better offers around online from seasoned users in pentax.

Remember to factor in the shipping fee. sometimes it is just not worth it after adding the shipping fee.

Remember to factor in the shipping fee. sometimes it is just not worth it after adding the shipping fee.

And not to mention the 7% gst if your item is more than $400

Factor in Shipping+GST+warranty (ie. none or US only) + chance that you get issues like lost/damaged/poor performing item

The last one is up to you to give a cost of course.

So the price delta may not be worth it.

If I'm not wrong , B&H selling the DA40mm at US$339

With the exchange rate ard 1.38

It will be SGD 467

With Gst it will be $500 (haven't include shipping)

Singapore is selling at $557 .

So might not be worth to order oversea after all

not unless you have a relative or friends staying there in which you can send the items to them and they can bring it back for you... so you save on the shipping and gst liao :)

If you buy outside Singapore, you gotta be prepared to wait plus got GST (cost of item & shipping >S$400) and warranty hassle. If got issues, you will spend more time and money to ship it back. Also for those who like to choose your lens serial numbers, no choice, luck of the draw. :bsmilie:

Nowadays at least most of the Pentax lenses can be found in the shops. A quick walk around Cathay Photo/SLR Rev and Alan Photo Funan yesterday and I saw DA10-17, DA12-24, DA15, DA21, DA35mm, FA43, DA70, FA77, DA*200, DA*300, DA*60-250, DFA 50mm, DFA 100mm WR, etc. If cannot find, then just ask the shop to order from agent.

If you buy outside Singapore, you gotta be prepared to wait plus got GST (cost of item & shipping >S$400) and warranty hassle. If got issues, you will spend more time and money to ship it back. Also for those who like to choose your lens serial numbers, no choice, luck of the draw. :bsmilie:

Nowadays at least most of the Pentax lenses can be found in the shops. A quick walk around Cathay Photo/SLR Rev and Alan Photo Funan yesterday and I saw DA10-17, DA12-24, DA15, DA21, DA35mm, FA43, DA70, FA77, DA*200, DA*300, DA*60-250, DFA 50mm, DFA 100mm WR, etc. If cannot find, then just ask the shop to order from agent.

that means da40 limited no ready stock?

that means da40 limited no ready stock?

Got thousands of tourists and locals buying lenses everyday, how to know which shop has ready stock or not? Give the shops a ring and check. If got, ask shop to hold, then quickly run down and buy, now got so many Pentax users you dunno kena snapped up or not. Anyway what's the big deal with the DA 40mm Limited? Once you get over the compact size, it's just a snapshot kinda lens. I'd rather go with FA 43mm Limited...

Thanks for all the replies and advices! Appreciate that!
I guess creampuff makes a good point. A 40mm, for me is for the aesthetic reasons!!

'll reconsider my options!! Thanks!!!!

I had mostly been getting lenses online - B&H and Adorama are my top choices. Pricing is reasonable and service is reasonably good, less an isolated case with B&H. So far there had only been one issue with a stiff focusing ring which they rectified by allowing an exchange for another new copy. To me, the wait is worth it - it wouldn't be too long too. Most importantly, the lens I'd received are new. Sometimes lenses in local shops have been tested by other people and demo'ed. And the fact that you can test/try means that the copy you are getting may be the unsharp leftovers? :dunno: Fact is chances of a manufacture/opetical defect is much lower than most think.

I had mostly been getting lenses online - B&H and Adorama are my top choices. Pricing is reasonable and service is reasonably good, less an isolated case with B&H. So far there had only been one issue with a stiff focusing ring which they rectified by allowing an exchange for another new copy. To me, the wait is worth it - it wouldn't be too long too. Most importantly, the lens I'd received are new. Sometimes lenses in local shops have been tested by other people and demo'ed. And the fact that you can test/try means that the copy you are getting may be the unsharp leftovers? :dunno: Fact is chances of a manufacture/opetical defect is much lower than most think.

Wah! You very 'kua zhang' lei :D

All along the way got ppl touch touch touch one lah!
Even from B&H you won't know if the lens was new, returned, refurbished (new), etc. Maybe the warehouse manager likes to take them out and touch touch??
My preciousssss.... :D

...Most importantly, the lens I'd received are new. Sometimes lenses in local shops have been tested by other people and demo'ed. And the fact that you can test/try means that the copy you are getting may be the unsharp leftovers? :dunno: Fact is chances of a manufacture/optical defect is much lower than most think.

Well I think you've got a misplaced belief in US online retailers. Fact is most retailers have a return policy to comply with consumer protection laws and because it's a better business practice and makes for good PR. Fact is a lot of people buy lenses online and there are people who do return stuff they bought for legitimate reasons, but there are also people who return for frivolous reasons/buyer's remorse/changed their mind after trying. They do it because they can.

Can you be 100% certain the lens you bought wasn't a returned copy or sitting as a demo on the shelf? Pretty wishful thinking if you think so. You're no better buying from a brick and mortar business where you can check the lens or lenses in person under close scrutiny. There are even some people on PF who buy two identical lenses, test them and keep the supposed better copy and return the lesser of the two back to the retailer. So what do you think the retailer does with the returned copy? It is pretty much the norm.

Wah! You very 'kua zhang' lei :D

All along the way got ppl touch touch touch one lah!
Even from B&H you won't know if the lens was new, returned, refurbished (new), etc. Maybe the warehouse manager likes to take them out and touch touch??
My preciousssss.... :D
Chances are lower.

Well I think you've got a misplaced belief in US online retailers. Fact is most retailers have a return policy to comply with consumer protection laws and because it's a better business practice and makes for good PR. Fact is a lot of people buy lenses online and there are people who do return stuff they bought for legitimate reasons, but there are also people who return for frivolous reasons/buyer's remorse/changed their mind after trying. They do it because they can.

Can you be 100% certain the lens you bought wasn't a returned copy or sitting as a demo on the shelf? Pretty wishful thinking if you think so. You're no better buying from a brick and mortar business where you can check the lens or lenses in person under close scrutiny. There are even some people on PF who buy two identical lenses, test them and keep the supposed better copy and return the lesser of the two back to the retailer. So what do you think the retailer does with the returned copy? It is pretty much the norm.
I understand the return policy and had done that before to a defective copy too. I believe they could sell as refurbished or used?

Yes, I am not hundred percent sure but I think there are tell-tale signs such as whether the plastic wrapping is crinkled, how well it was packed etc. My experience has been pleasant so far with B&H and Adorama. I had a bad experience with another (don't wish to mention names here). The box was obviously opened before, with nail marks on the box lid. And the plastic bag was missing...

For local retail, it is not uncommon to hear people showing off their new purchases mentioning that they had like tested all available copies and picked the best. Well, I don't like buying the lesser copy at the same price...

I guess it's all in the mind... so what happens if the shop only has one copy of a lens? How to compare? I just bought a lens from a shop barely 2 weeks ago and they had two copies to choose from. Both looked fine so it was a toss-up which one to choose. I can convince myself and claim I picked the better copy but how can I be absolutely sure? Truth is there is no certainty because there's every possibility I could be dead wrong. Can you really be sure the so called lesser copy is really "inferior"? Wishful thinking can muddy our thoughts.

I guess it's all in the mind... so what happens if the shop only has one copy of a lens? How to compare? I just bought a lens from a shop barely 2 weeks ago and they had two copies to choose from. Both looked fine so it was a toss-up which one to choose. I can convince myself and claim I picked the better copy but how can I be absolutely sure? Truth is there is no certainty because there's every possibility I could be dead wrong. Can you really be sure the so called lesser copy is really "inferior"? Wishful thinking can muddy our thoughts.
I think you had in some sense pretty sum up why I prefer buying online.

.......My experience has been pleasant so far with B&H and Adorama. .....

Delighted to hear it - but if you ever need advice or after-sales support with an order from Adorama Camera, please don't hesitate to email me directly.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

http://helenoster.blogspot.com
helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

Last edited:
Delighted to hear it - but if you ever need advice or after-sales support with an order from Adorama Camera, please don't hesitate to email me directly.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

http://helenoster.blogspot.com
helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

Wow! You guys are everywhere :D Good to see Adorama's Ambassador posting here. Used to buy a lot from you guys (and B&H) when I was in the States, but now I buy new stuff from local shops so I won't feel red-faced when I bring the items to local service center :)