Getting lens back from Hong Kong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N15M0

Sep 24, 2007
Hi I know some bro here have bought stuff from HK before. Recently one of my friend came back from HK with some lens and he was stop by the Singapore custom and they question him on why he did not declare the lens. And he told me that any items above the valuation of SGD300 would need to be declared. So may I know any of the bro here have encounter such situation as I have plans to get lens from HK as well. Thanks. :)

Never heard of this before. How many lenses did your friend bring in?

He brought in 2 lens.

This is because of GST, S'pore govt wanted $$$. Same for going JB to buy thing, be it grocery or furnitures or ..., you have to pay GST if > $xxx (can't remember how much), which believe is SGD300 based on your report.

That is why many CSers throw away the orginal boxes when carry stuff back from overseas, be it selling here or use yourself..

I was lucky not to have been stopped recently so managed to get all the boxes back
but if u are really worried, can consider taking throwing the boxes away and only transport the lens back in a new large camera bag :D:bsmilie:

remove the boxes and post the empty box back to singapore
hand carry the lens and say it was a gift. (no receipt)

remove the boxes and post the empty box back to singapore
hand carry the lens and say it was a gift. (no receipt)

Wow, that's a good one, never cross my mind of posting back the empty boxes. :bsmilie:

Put the lenses in your camera bag. The empty boxes in your lugguage. Should not have any problems. :)

Yikes... I'm going to HK to get lenses this holiday season as well. Glad I read this thread first. At first I didn't think the customs will be so niao, didn't think they're so stringent (last time got sneak 2 extra bottles more of wine before, hehe), so didn't think of separating lens and boxes. But i guess, now I'll just put the boxes in my check-in luggage and carry the lenses in a bigger camera bag. Which means, I either have to buy a brand new one there or buy a second hand one here before I go... Hmmmm.... :think:

And don't put your wine with your empty lens box. Your wine will come out in the scan and they will search your lugguage :)

Yikes... I'm going to HK to get lenses this holiday season as well. Glad I read this thread first. At first I didn't think the customs will be so niao, didn't think they're so stringent (last time got sneak 2 extra bottles more of wine before, hehe), so didn't think of separating lens and boxes. But i guess, now I'll just put the boxes in my check-in luggage and carry the lenses in a bigger camera bag. Which means, I either have to buy a brand new one there or buy a second hand one here before I go... Hmmmm.... :think:

Based on my customs experience at the airport, they often stop people with boxes. If you make it visible, they will stop to check. Keep your lens in you cam bag and boxes in your luggage, you'll be safe.

And don't put your wine with your empty lens box. Your wine will come out in the scan and they will search your lugguage :)

Yeah, try not to act too suspicious... Macam like smuggling drugs like that. Haha... :bsmilie:

Next time they might have sniffer dogs to sniff out new things that are bought overseas and have not paid GST. They'll call them GST-Dogs.

"Go Patchy! Sniff out those products that have not have their Goods and Services Tax paid!"

quite simple - put the lens in your camera bag as though you've owned it for years, and fold up the boxes and check them in with your other luggage.

I put the new lens in my camera bag and put the boxes in my check-in luggage. No problem.:)

Bought my whole setup 3 weeks ago. Put it round my neck and showed them off at the customs.........no one questioned me cos I look stupid!!!!:confused:

OT warning...

What's the obsession with boxes here, what difference does it make if you have a box or not, even if selling used item, what's the big deal with the box, it doesn't change the condition that the item is in or how it will perform. So what's the big deal with the boxes?

Hi I know some bro here have bought stuff from HK before. Recently one of my friend came back from HK with some lens and he was stop by the Singapore custom and they question him on why he did not declare the lens. And he told me that any items above the valuation of SGD300 would need to be declared. So may I know any of the bro here have encounter such situation as I have plans to get lens from HK as well. Thanks. :)

so what happened to your friend? Was he fined?

OT warning...

What's the obsession with boxes here, what difference does it make if you have a box or not, even if selling used item, what's the big deal with the box, it doesn't change the condition that the item is in or how it will perform. So what's the big deal with the boxes?

two words. resale value.

Status
Not open for further replies.