Getting first dslr

Status
Not open for further replies.

sq380

Apr 26, 2008
Hi all, I should be getting my first dslr next weekend. My current choice is the Canon EOS 450D but the price of the D60 is very attractive. Can someone recommend me which shop to go to and which camera to get? I do mainly aviation photography. Thanks very much.

Hi all, I should be getting my first dslr next weekend. My current choice is the Canon EOS 450D but the price of the D60 is very attractive. Can someone recommend me which shop to go to and which camera to get? I do mainly aviation photography. Thanks very much.

I'll vote for 450D! :thumbsup:
Cheers!

Go to shops and have a hands-on test. The decision should not be made just because of promotion. Secondly: you don't simply buy a camera - you buy a system (of lenses, flashes, accessories). Switching is not easily possible and usually requires selling off all items which are bound to the camera system.
Reputable shops and their addresses you can find in the technical section of this forum, price guides for lenses and cameras. Which camera you get is entirely your choice, nobody else can give you that answer.
Aviation photography doesn't require any special camera - maybe it needs lenses of a certain focal range. But best is to start with the kit lens and see how it goes and where you need more.

I think D60 can't really compete with 450D. Well, URL="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos450d/page23.asp"]http://www.dpreview.com/revie...page23.asp[/URL]
450D has 9 point af while D60 has 3. And, yeah, 450D has live view and the 3" LCD screen. You won't go wrong with any of them, go to the shop and try out, but D60's choice of lens are rather limited and are expensive. Also, do consider Sony/Olympus they are great too.

By the way, if you are doing aviation photography, do set aside bit of money on tele lens. Don't expect too much from the kit lens unless the plane is very near.*

I suggest looking beyond the C and N camp.

Read up all the reviews available and have a try at all the cameras in the coming PC show and you can probably make a better decision. Don't listen to the salestalk from the promoter though.

Thanks for the replies. I am currently thinking of getting the 450D kit with 55-250mm lenses as a start. By the way, how many photos can I take with the included battery for the 450D and D60? Also, is a dry cabinet neccessary?

I think D60 can't really compete with 450D. Well, URL="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos450d/page23.asp"]http://www.dpreview.com/revie...page23.asp[/URL]
450D has 9 point af while D60 has 3. And, yeah, 450D has live view and the 3" LCD screen. You won't go wrong with any of them, go to the shop and try out, but D60's choice of lens are rather limited and are expensive. Also, do consider Sony/Olympus they are great too.

D60 have a limited range of lens? it can use ALL nikon lens but can't autofocus with non-AFS lens that's all. it have been mentioned here before... :)

i think the kit lens only can shoot planes on the ground.. flying one think u need a faster and longer tele lens..

Read more here: http://agylen.com/2008/01/29/canon-450d-rebel-xsi-vs-nikon-d60/

I voted 450D because of the amount of lenses you could use :)
Not to mention, the juicy 3.0" LCD & Live View :bigeyes:

Hope this helps.

The amount of lens a camera can use doesnt means the user would buy all. Look for what u need when selecting a camera is the most important of all. I sugest u try out a couple of brands before comitting.

Thanks for all the replies. I would like to know, is Bargaincity good? Are they reliable? Their EOS 450D kit seems too good to be true. Also, which shop has the best prices other than Bargaincity?

Thanks for all the replies. I would like to know, is Bargaincity good? Are they reliable? Their EOS 450D kit seems too good to be true. Also, which shop has the best prices other than Bargaincity?

Bargaincity is cheap, but not the cheapest. There are many "recommended shops" threads, try a search.

IMHO I think you should walk in with your research well done.
All you have to do is walk into the shop and ask for what you want.
High chance you won't get ripped off if you've done enough research :)

All you have to do in the shop is bargin bargin & bargin.
Ask for freebies though :bsmilie: All you have to do is open your mouth and ask. LOL!

IMHO I think you should walk in with your research well done.
All you have to do is walk into the shop and ask for what you want.
High chance you won't get ripped off if you've done enough research :)

All you have to do in the shop is bargin bargin & bargin.
Ask for freebies though :bsmilie: All you have to do is open your mouth and ask. LOL!

Totally Agreed....!!
Walk around and feel around.....
buying DSLR is like looking a GF.... you have to get to know her more and feel her more...
After that you decide to married her......Sorry totally OT liao...

Anyway.... get to feel of it...
and see which one you like best.....
Dont just buy for the sick of all the freebies.....
DSLR is still not too much.... so make sure you get it right...

Thanks a lot for all the comments everyone! Today I just got my first DSLR, a Canon EOS450D kit and EF-S 55-250mm lens. May I know how long must the battery be charged first before I can use it for the first time? I can't wait! :D

Thanks a lot for all the comments everyone! Today I just got my first DSLR, a Canon EOS450D kit and EF-S 55-250mm lens. May I know how long must the battery be charged first before I can use it for the first time? I can't wait! :D

manual states 2hrs:cool:

Yeah but for the first time charging musn't it be more?

That's a myth. Once the batt is full, charging stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.