Getting film based SLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoomer

Feb 4, 2002
Singapore
reverac.com
Advisable?

After reading so much stuff here about the wonderful colour of slides and sensias and provias and velvias....I am beginning to get the itch. :D

Should I get a film SLR? (Horrors~! Yeah right. :p)

Advantages I can see:
1. No/Little depriciation - I can likely get a nice 2nd hand one now and sell it off a year later w/o making much/any loss at all. -- > True?
2. Can play with films and slides. Yum.
3. Can borrow school lens and play... :rbounce: :devil:

Disadvantages:
Think I'm buying another money waster again. haha. :embrass:

Originally posted by Zoomer
Problem.

Insufficient Vitamin M...mine more minerals. :D

Think of it this way.

All the 3 cameras are in the $3600 range. That means they are only less than $600 more than a Nikon F5. :devil: Think of the film and processing costs you save! Think of the infinite possibilities!

Regards
CK

If slides are what you want, I'd look for a 2nd hand film SLR body that allows for 1/3 EV adjustment compensation. For the Nikon AF bodies, the F90X and F100 both provide such functionality (I believe the F80 & below don't).

A 2nd hand 90X and vertical grip would cost you perhaps $800 upwards and IMO won't depreciate that quickly.

Forgive me, but I prefer canon.

Nikon's system of adjusting Aperture is weird. Or maybe that's an old system. :)

Problem is, my dear ckiang, I don't have $3600. Maybe $2300 for a D30, but then body w/o lens is pretty useless. :(

alternatively, get a dirt cheap manual body for a start an a fairly good len. That's what I did. My Yashica body cost about $250 and get a good standard fixed len at about $500.. total about $750 with good image results because of the good len.

If still too expensive, consider getting a toy like seagull. But that's 120format lah.. at approximately $200 ++ cheap deal to start film though. But I think you will need an external meter too .. About $50 That should get you going without a burn.

Question Question!
What's a seagull? 120format?

Btw, I was thinking of getting a 2nd hand EOS50/30 (old old canon, but works well?), then why bother about manuals?

Thanks. :)

Question Question!
What's a seagull? 120format?

Btw, I was thinking of getting a 2nd hand EOS50/30 (old old canon, but works well?), then why bother about manuals?

Thanks. :)

Seagull is a china made camera. it is using 120 format ( larger kind of film instead of the regular 35mm film you buy from the shop. The film however is easily available in cathy or ruby. The camera come with a non detactable fixed len. The catch is that since it is a 120format works with a larger size negative, the picture quality is general better than 35mm. The colours are also quite remarkable according to many users. Apart from this, it's really a cheap buy if you want to know something about film and do not have the budget for it. The setback is you need to meter the light yourself, it's quite bulky (rectangular box-shape), and need to send to professional lab to have your film process. However, it's a good practise and introduction to professional level photography. It's a camera you sure get alot of attention. People think that they are antiques. But there are actually toys.

Well manual or auto camera is just the preferance of the user. For me I've just manual 35mm camera all my years in photography and is comfortable with the format. It give the photographer full control of his exposure. Since it's all manual, the photographer is force to take responsiblity of the image results. This gives the photographer a strong foundation of the photography.

Yeah, I started off with a cheap Yashica FX2000 also!! It's manual so it's great to learn on, operates without batteries ( only need them for the metering ). But, that's about 10yrs ago.

Nowadays I would recommend an AF SLR. The reasons are simple. With AF, you can let the AF run for snap shots and turn to MF(selectable) for learning. AF is GREAT for action shots where you have to react fast (Sports shots). Now a days AF cameras are so much better in terms of functions and prices are affordable.
New MF cameras and lenses are quite Ex. nowadays maybe due to the lower production quantities and thus higher costs on part of the manufacturers.

Do try out Nikon's F80S, Canon's EOS30/50 and Minolta Dynax 5
Before deciding. All good!! :thumbsup:

Nikon's system of adjusting Aperture is weird. Or maybe that's an old system. :)

Problem is, my dear ckiang, I don't have $3600. Maybe $2300 for a D30, but then body w/o lens is pretty useless. :(

If you get a newer Nikon body like the F80, you can adjust the aperture using the dial on the body, just like any Canon bodies. What's so weird about it?

For the F90X, aperture is controlled via the ring on the lens still... yeah, that's the 'old' system, quite a few limitations IMHO. In that case, only the F100 offers a second dial to control aperture, though this body is rather pricey.

Can't help you with other mfg models...

Seagull makes several types of cameras as well. The 120 format should be the TLR. The latest version offers a 4 element 75mm f3.5 lens. I believe you can only take 6x6 on these 4 element versions, earlier ones had a mask for smaller dimensions.

Well...
Learning photography???and have Vitamin M to spare.....why not get a mInolta Dynax 7 .

The camera comes with memory for all your shos taken for upto 7 rools of film. And even prints a index number on the film. This way, even if you pump the photos in Program mode, you can have all the Suutter and aperture information matching with the photos you take.

So the next time round, you can use he same setting in manual mode to capture the same quality photos.......impressive isn't it...

No more pen and paper on the field.....

Check it out......you will be surprise.....

regards,
me

Originally posted by sulhan
Well...
Learning photography???and have Vitamin M to spare.....why not get a mInolta Dynax 7 .

The camera comes with memory for all your shos taken for upto 7 rools of film. And even prints a index number on the film. This way, even if you pump the photos in Program mode, you can have all the Suutter and aperture information matching with the photos you take.

So the next time round, you can use he same setting in manual mode to capture the same quality photos.......impressive isn't it...

No more pen and paper on the field.....

Check it out......you will be surprise.....

regards,
me
Well the camera is so techincally advanced that a frd of mine(meow meow) has a difficulty trying to remeber all the functions......
;)

Zoomer : Welcome to the Dark Side

Originally posted by Bluestrike

Well the camera is so techincally advanced that a frd of mine(meow meow) has a difficulty trying to remeber all the functions......
;)

Zoomer : Welcome to the Dark Side

If you can't remember the functions, it means you don't need them at all.:D So............

*sighs* All the new people who probably have no idea what an aperture ring is all about...

Originally posted by YSLee

*sighs* All the new people who probably have no idea what an aperture ring is all about...
chair.gif

then you explain lah...!!!! Sigh here sigh there!!!!
*Sigh* The people who know but can't bother to explain what it all about...

Status
Not open for further replies.