getting bokeh with standard canon kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyori

Mar 14, 2007
issit possible to achieve bokeh with a normal 18 - 55 IS canon 1000 D? pls advise!

You need to go closer to the subject in order to get the background blur

make sure got ALOT of space between the subject and the background loh. Whether it's light disc, or donuts.. is another case altogether.

well 18-55mm able to get a decent bokeh if you know how to use it :]
try to zoom in at 55mm during the afternoon where the sun right above you.

shot taken with kit lens:
3130595237_b00e7bbb24.jpg

issit possible to achieve bokeh with a normal 18 - 55 IS canon 1000 D? pls advise!

Bokeh is the quality of the out-of-focus part of the picture. There are many factors contributing to this and everybody has a different perception about what is pleasing to his/her eyes. What kind of bokeh meets your personal "pleasing criteria" we cannot advice. But as mentioned by others: you can increase the emphasis on the out-of-focus area by using the longest end of the focal range, the widest aperture, getting the object as close as possible to the lens and having the background as far as possible.

ziincx said:
well 18-55mm able to get a decent bokeh if you know how to use it :]
try to zoom in at 55mm during the afternoon where the sun right above you.

shot taken with kit lens:
3130595237_b00e7bbb24.jpg

You are very helpful :thumbsup: to you!

hi sorry... so i should use focal 3.5 or 5.6??? and wad setting? i was using AV... been trying but still not fantastic

hi sorry... so i should use focal 3.5 or 5.6??? and wad setting? i was using AV... been trying but still not fantastic

use the widest aperture possible. zoom in to 55mm and get nearer to your subject as possible. if you're really bokeh-siao then maybe you can consider lens like 50mm f1.8?

hi,

use a much lower f which means opening your aperture to focus on the subject.

the wider the aperture the better. ;)

btw... just to check.. do u on ur flash usually ? does it affect bokeh??

also. . the focal dial is the scroll thing rite?? when i increase the aperture.. the shutter timing will increase too?

Neither 3.5 nor 5.6 is "focal" - please read up about the basics: Photography Notes for Newbies The sticky threads are there for a purpose. Another great link (from zoossh's guide): A Tedious Explanation of the f/stop It makes it much easier for you to learn if you use the terms in a correct way.
The numbers you have mentioned are the maximum Aperture - the maximum possible opening of the lens. The maximum varies with your kit lens, at 18mm (focal length!) the maximum aperture is f/3.5; at 55mn it is f/5.6.
Regarding the Av mode just read your manual. Those modes have a purpose. You can also use P mode and adjust the exposure, the camera will change aperture and shutter speed for you. Just watch your display.

also. . the focal dial is the scroll thing rite?? when i increase the aperture.. the shutter timing will increase too?

why dont you spend one day out, and EXPERIMENT with all the settings.

I can bet my camera on it that you will learn MUCH FASTER experiencing the difference, then sitting at your desk and typing and asking.

come on. HANDS ON dude. HANDS ON. otherwise, why have a camera.

yes.. just that you will probably be more limited.

depth of field , like i always say (and as is understood commonly).. is dependent on three things.

1) camera-subject in relation to camera-background distance. if your background is far enough from the camera, then you can and will always get bokeh easily.

2) focal length. given the same aperture setting , all other things being equal, a longer focal length will have more thrown out of focus.

3) aperture setting lor. bigger aperture , or smaller f-stop number = more bokeh.

so either, go close to subject (there are limitations).. or extend to longest focal length, or open up aperture, best is do a combination of all three, i.e. shoot at 55mm, as close to subject as possible (without distortion) and open up the aperture to widest.

btw... just to check.. do u on ur flash usually ? does it affect bokeh??

i regret even posting an answer after i read this.

shooting away questions without even bothering to understand photography yourself, before asking.. that is pretty disgusting i-want-spoonfeeding self-entitled behaviour.

don't be lazy! :thumbsd:

Newbie = helpless and must be spoon-fed with information...

what to do? this is the prevalent culture.
Some then say "not happy don't post reply", but then... (??) sigh...

Newbie = helpless and must be spoon-fed with information...

what to do? this is the prevalent culture.
Some then say "not happy don't post reply", but then... (??) sigh...

So are you telling me that you can be rude to them if they are clueless?

Everyone of us need to start off somewhere, and many of us started off just like them, clueless. Think of the many who had helped you one way or another when you were newbie. Think of how you would feel if you were scoff off by the seniors back then. There are one too many rude remarks I've seen in the newbies forum. If you really want to make the forum a better place and willing to come here and help out the newbies, do it with sincerity and kindness. Do it with your heart. Point them to the right direction or resources that they need, or at least tell them how to find them.

Hi just to clarify myself.. i was playing with my camera while posting on this. the reason i ask some is because i m clueless after i am trying. for instance. when i do the scroll thing.. the F 3.6 went up... F22... etc... so i am just curious if this is consider focal. and also why issit that the shutter speed (speed to take the picture) is longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.