Getting Away From Copyright Infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.
well... seems like what i said didnt made it through either.

make a stand or not doesn't matter, i would have to agree with knoxknocks comment here

"making sure the other party can pay before you decide on how you want to go about claiming damages "

make sure they can pay first... whats the point, when u open fire and the other party cant fire back, handicapped and time wasted.

thing is sometimes. and my point is, mistakes do happen, and sometimes we need to understand why are they doing this rather.

i am also a full time designer, and i must say, i have works copied from top head until bottom tail 1:1 replica and name changed, and what can i say ? nothing.... nothing i do will change the fact that the fellow copied my designs and paste it in his portfolio on a open community. (coroflot)

Copyright Laws although have been taught in media schools, but they are not stressed or even reinforced. ask any media students they say the same thing.

But anyway. those who know me, will know i am a very peaceful person, most of the time believe in giving chances and etc etc....

i guess for Mr. knoxknocks case, besides going with a justice hammer, the next hardest thing u can do is.... speak to him with the bottom of your heart. Let him know how disappointed and angry you are with his actions, and the rest i guess i do not need to say. i know i used this approach while dealing with my junior designers, and it worked pretty well, wake up their ideas and proved effective. What i am providing is an alternative besides all the letters and court and etc etc... seriously sometimes in singaporean mindset, anything they cant settle or got too worked up, they most common thing they will ever say is "see u in court" "wait for my lawyer letter" "i sue u" personally i believe all these doesnt work on a long term perspective, but instead will cause so much hatred that i don't know, i mean speaking from the heart, once the fellow enters court, he is almost as good as banished, and super bad damage done, so unless someone wants to ruin that poor fellow.... well i've gt nothing to say.

i suggestion is still a peaceful solution, and hope everyone is ok and fine. thats all. i hate to see photogs kill each other and wanting their heads on the table. seriously... even if u wanted to make a stand, also not at a expense of another photogs head or their family's rice on the table right ?

peaceful solution i'd say...... give piece a chance.

MM Lee said "I believe this is a honest mistake, and we all should learn from it, Life goes on, and we must continue to remain vigilant and remember to not be complacent about our homeland security"

2 rupiahs worth...

i can't help but feel that u have a warped logic about this whole issue!

the victim has somehow become the bad guy, just becos his fotos were somehow stolen from him and used by another party?

how did it come to be this bad, in ur eyes? do u even have any idea how bad this might affect knoxknocks and the industry?

holy crap, i can be just an absolute newbie and jus take someone else's fotos and claimed that they are my own, post them in my portfolio and bring in a few deal myself, regardless of the end result becos a deal's a deal.

easy $$.

and if every fotographer is as 'compassionate' as what u have advocated, holy crap, then i dun mind taking someone else's works and pass them off as my own and earn a few grand at their expense becos i will know that i won;t get slapped on the wrist even if the original fotographer found out becos they are just going to have a 'sincere heart-to-heart talk' with me.

at most, i'll take another fotographer's work the next time round, rinse n repeat!

what you have suggested is outright insane, crazy and absolutely disgusting. hit where it hurts most and that is the wallet.

get the offending party to pay for their mistake and maybe post a public apology on the papers, detailing what they have done wrong.

now, this course of action, they will truly learn.

i support knoxknocks and all other fellow fotographers who might have met with the same unfortunate incident, to take their case to court and sue the offending party and get their rightful compensation.

i am beginning to suspect that you might be one of the alleged fotographer. hopefully i m wrong.

u give them a chance, then who will give u urself a chance?

Be KINDER to yourself!

Hi Cheesecake...

You've hit the nail on the head ...

We are not just dealing with kids here whom undercharge ...

Getting the culprit i feel is a must & public awareness made as a deterence ...

If knoxknocks or xziredmp were the one to infinge the copyright, do you think Vitalmomento wld be as lenient?

Are a part timer in photography then i can understand why it's not worth your while.

If it's your ricebowl & you've worked hard at it, then you shld make a stand.
If it's outright copyright infringement, the case is yours to win.

If it's a organization that infringe your rights, there's BIG MONEY involved.
With a right lawyer, he knows he can make money from it so neg a deal with him abt his fees.
Lawyers are businessmen as well when it comes to opportunity.

Sad to see that anyone can actually get away when they steal your pictures to use as their own.

:thumbsd:

bro .... check thru your computer, ipods, cd, etc... now and ask yourself how many of the softwares and songs you have installed, used, enjoyed, etc are original? .... :think:
if you come out clean, tell us now and then I think you have a point here.

bro .... check thru your computer, ipods, cd, etc... now and ask yourself how many of the softwares and songs you have installed, used, enjoyed, etc are original? .... :think:

Thk goodness i play ball when it comes to softwares & buy original ...

Do you think deterence is not important & wouldnt mind copyright infringement of your works? Honestly, if it's you in Knoxknocks position, wld you just forget it & move on?

Hi Cheesecake ... Can you set up a poll in this thread to get public opinion? Maybe majority's viewpoint can shed some light here.

:think:

I think you may want to temper the "BIG MONEY" involved bit....it MAY not always be BIG MONEY involved. There are key factors in determining the quantum of damages involved.

Are a part timer in photography then i can understand why it's not worth your while.

If it's your ricebowl & you've worked hard at it, then you shld make a stand.
If it's outright copyright infringement, the case is yours to win.

If it's a organization that infringe your rights, there's BIG MONEY involved.
With a right lawyer, he knows he can make money from it so neg a deal with him abt his fees.
Lawyers are businessmen as well when it comes to opportunity.

Sad to see that anyone can actually get away when they steal your pictures to use as their own.

:thumbsd:

Ah, someone who actually knows more than those goading others to sue at every turn :)

Live and let live....

When deciding on any actions, the ends must justify the means. What is the use of paper justice and the court awarding you the victory when the offender who infringes on your copyright has no means to pay for damages / when the court finds that there is no damages payable but purely gives an injunction / when the offender has the means to take this case all the way up to the Court of Appeal and rising your legal bill?

sometimes it is just not worth the fight. A wise general chooses his battles wisely, knowing when to retreat and when to advance as well as when to commit his resources.

But that being said, I do not condone on copyright infringement.....but what can I do? :dunno:

But that said, if someone really wants to sue and don't mind expending the money to do so; can always come find me kekekeke :) *evil grin*

Last edited by a moderator:
IPOS does not even want to give legal advice to lay people, much less help them enforce copyright.

maybe someone can get IPOS to look into this?

Its a tough world but its not fair to let these people get away with it.

This is totally warped.

If you steal, doesn't mean that when someone stole from you, someone should be given a second chance. If you have also stolen, you ought not be given a second chance.

If we, the photographers, do not defend copyrights, who will do it for us? I still remember, we went out for blood over a kid leaching a few airplane images for his personal non-commercial website, and now, we say those who stole from others for profit, we should give them a second chance?

What logic are we dealing with here?

Ah, someone who actually knows more than those goading others to sue at every turn :)

well bro....i learn a lot from u...;p

But that said, if someone really wants to sue and don't mind expending the money to do so; can always come find me kekekeke :) *evil grin*[/QUOTE]

mmmm.....are u revealing your profession already? haha:bsmilie:

This is totally warped.

If you steal, doesn't mean that when someone stole from you, someone should be given a second chance. If you have also stolen, you ought not be given a second chance.

If we, the photographers, do not defend copyrights, who will do it for us? I still remember, we went out for blood over a kid leaching a few airplane images for his personal non-commercial website, and now, we say those who stole from others for profit, we should give them a second chance?

What logic are we dealing with here?

relax bro.... i believe what he meant was not that. :) but merely putting the arguments into perspective.

Never leh, I just said come find me only what, never say after find me then wat happen next :)

well bro....i learn a lot from u...;p

But that said, if someone really wants to sue and don't mind expending the money to do so; can always come find me kekekeke :) *evil grin*

mmmm.....are u revealing your profession already? haha:bsmilie:[/quote]

Reading from the replies, I somehow get the feeling that all prisoners should be given a heart to heart talk without going to the court for robbery.

It's out of proportion, but it's a similar logic. Whatever was the reason they've still made a mistake... they should still be punished, but with varying degrees of punishment based on his reasons for the crime. <-- That's what I consider fair, and not just letting the person off scot free.

Just my small thoughts,

Think the root cause is the demands of our clients (ie they want our raw files) so, can we not do this?

How can pro photographers still have a steady flow of clients in a free world that allows others doing this as a hobby or a quick buck?

Photographers broke the rule of giving out RAWs, can this be broken again by NOT giving?

just my 2 rupiahs worth :dunno:

Reading from the replies, I somehow get the feeling that all prisoners should be given a heart to heart talk without going to the court for robbery.

It's out of proportion, but it's a similar logic. Whatever was the reason they've still made a mistake... they should still be punished, but with varying degrees of punishment based on his reasons for the crime. <-- That's what I consider fair, and not just letting the person off scot free.

In the context of Singapore law, I think canning is appropriate punishment.

IMO, I think that Singapore's market is too small to have a strong applicable copyright laws and acts.

Examples are what has occurred when SPH have taken images from amateurs and didn't give any kind of acknowledgment to the credit of photographer in question. Even if it is among amateurs, how much can you possibly ask for, value of your image and costs bearable to both photographer and lawyer in question.

If u see ur photo on any magazine (may not be commericial, those promotional ones also), drop the publisher a call, they might pay you a small sum for the rights. My cousin had HIS photo taken (he was the model actually) without his knowing and published on some magazine, he called up and got $500 to settle! so no harm trying haha!

Cheers.

Just my small thoughts,

Think the root cause is the demands of our clients (ie they want our raw files) so, can we not do this?

How can pro photographers still have a steady flow of clients in a free world that allows others doing this as a hobby or a quick buck?

Photographers broke the rule of giving out RAWs, can this be broken again by NOT giving?

just my 2 rupiahs worth :dunno:
Perhaps you should give your clients files good up to 8x10, if they want bigger formats they have to come back to you for the files (and pay for it).....this if they don't know how to resize lah!

HS

Status
Not open for further replies.