Getting a Tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

blowblue

Jan 20, 2007
I'm thinking of getting a tripod to complete my collection as a beginner (photography).

I'm not sure whether i should burn a hole for this tripod. What factors should I consider before i make commitments in this item?

I currently have Nikon D70s and kit lens and flash in my set. Maybe I will get heavier items in the late future. What sort of tripod should I get in your own opinion? (Weight capacity, height, size, etc)?

Look for jack006 for benro tripod...

How tall must the tripod be if you are of a certain height?

Say if you are 1.79m, how tall must the tripod be? minus 15-25 cm?

Generally,

(a) you want a tripod + ball / pan head to be able to support your heaviest potential setup; both horizontal and vertical orientation

(b) you want a tripod + head + camera to be at or slightly below your eye level; with the centre column (if any) not extended ... there are exceptions though... some like it "taller" than their height... while some have other priorities... a 4th column and able to "go low" for those macro shots

(c) you want it light ... good enough for travels ... no point having one to admire at home

(d) you want to spend just once on the whole setup; a good setup

However, if you ever gonna come close to the above setup, it's gonna cost you.

Just once though. :)

Regards

How tall must the tripod be if you are of a certain height?

Say if you are 1.79m, how tall must the tripod be? minus 15-25 cm?

quite an inventive tripod. You can put it in more places than most other tripods :)

http://www.joby.com/

Indeed.

I say this a while back and I couldn't remember where.

As an accessory, it's OK.

Thanks for sharing the link. Now let's hope someone does an MO for it! ;)

quite an inventive tripod. You can put it in more places than most other tripods :)

http://www.joby.com/

Sorry to OT, where can I buy the "bottom leg rubber" for my manfrotto 190B?

As an alternative to enquiring it directly from Manfrotto (online), you could try Cathay Photo (authorised dealer), TK Foto... not sure about the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.