Getting a new DSLR and need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuSuo

Nov 21, 2008
Hi folks, i'm new here and new to digital photography. I'm excited to join the realm and wish to learn more about the art of photography just like everyone of you. I consider digital photography an expensive endeavor, at least to me, so I wish to spend the cash wise and need the help of you guys. I'm planning to get a:

(1) Canon 40D
(2) EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens
(3) A dry cabinet

I'm thinking of getting a good and not so expensive lens to kick start and to get a hang of it, as I don't really know what I want to shoot, portraits...landscape... I feel like shooting both though.

I don't wish to overspend on something that I don't really need but just good to have.

Do i missed out any must buy gadget? Please advice bros.:D

Get a 40D second hand.... most of them have some warranty or warranty might have just expired. That way, you can save dough for better lens or accessories in time to come.

I would think that buying second hand would be rather appealing as it enables to to have better alternative when it comes to buying other items.

for example,
1) better lens: i.e. perhaps a tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (covers all your needs from portrait to landscape)
2) cleaning kits: i.e. lens tissue/ rocket blower
3) storage: drycabi
4) memory: Cf cards and etc.
5) tripod.
6) Flash (e.g. 430EXII or 580EXII)

The choice lies on yourself whether which segments of the purchase you prioritise most. Furthermore, 40D is somewhat phasing out. buying a second hand can help as if you are those whom intend to change your body often then dun so pain...

Lastly, welcome to clubsnap~

Just my 2 cents~

ps: The above was a cut and paste from another of my recent recent post.

Last edited:
Hi folks, i'm new here and new to digital photography. I'm excited to join the realm and wish to learn more about the art of photography just like everyone of you. I consider digital photography an expensive endeavor, at least to me, so I wish to spend the cash wise and need the help of you guys. I'm planning to get a:

(1) Canon 40D
(2) EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens
(3) A dry cabinet

I'm thinking of getting a good and not so expensive lens to kick start and to get a hang of it, as I don't really know what I want to shoot, portraits...landscape... I feel like shooting both though.

I don't wish to overspend on something that I don't really need but just good to have.

Do i missed out any must buy gadget? Please advice bros.:D

40D will be a good start..If you have budget.
For lens 50mm is mainly for portraits not really for lanscape cos the lens is not wide enough.

If you really want both and have a tight budget go for 18-55mm kit lens first
Or you willing to invest a little more, my suggestion to you would be 17-55mm F2.8.
is a good walk around lens for indoor and outdoor and also to met your current need too.

As for other gadgets...
may be cleaning kit (lens pen, cloths, blower and etc)
and a camera bag....... as for the rest I think later you will be kana BBB virus....
so don't worries too much now... the will be later part of investment....

And welcome to a deep deep hole.....

Thank you for the advice, appreciate it. Haha, maybe it just me, I wish to have a brand new set for my "First Time", I guess you guys would understand what I mean.

Rubber_Duck: How much is the 17-55mm F2.8 cost? Thanks .

I think that's a decent start. :) I wished I had a levelled-head like you in spending money wisely.

Just in case.. you should be aware that this camera is has a 1.6x crop sensor (APS-C). It basically means the actual light sensor that produces your digital picture is smaller (62.5% to be exact) of what a "proper" full-frame/sized sensor should have been.

My logical guess is it's cheaper to produce when made smaller, making it more affordable for non-professional, consumer market.

So, whatever "focal length" lens you use to take a pic, it is actually "zoomed in" like 1.6 times by default. So, pics taken by your 50mm lens will be equivalent pics taken 80mm for a full-frame camera (e.g. 5D). I hope it make sense.

For 50mm lens on 1.6x crop-sensor camera, it's about only head-shots/shoulder framing if you use it to take people sitting around you over dinner table. Hope that's a good gauge. If you want like 1/2 body shots (or for a few more faces in the pic without leaving your seat), I think 35mm (thus translates to 56mm) will be a more suitable choice.

okies, too much OT.. sorrie.. excited for you. :p

You might just want to add some basic cleaning kit - lens pen and keep probably some free lens cloth from optical shop. Also, get a len filter - it serves as protection for your lens too.

Looking forward to see your pics online! ;)

Understand where you are coming from.:)

Btw, whats your budget? Cos from the looks of it, you need to "burn" at least 2.5K to get the Canon 17-55mm f2.8 and first hand 40D....::think:

Price list for all the canon mount lenses. (see below)
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131801&page=47

Thanks for the link. 2.5K tat much? When I was surveying around at BEST DENKI, body only for 40D is around 1599, and the lens should be ard 400 for 17-55mm f2.8, haha, i like the word burn!

I think that's a decent start. :) I wished I had a levelled-head like you in spending money wisely.

Just in case.. you should be aware that this camera is has a 1.6x crop sensor (APS-C). It basically means the actual light sensor that produces your digital picture is smaller (62.5% to be exact) of what a "proper" full-frame/sized sensor should have been.

My logical guess is it's cheaper to produce when made smaller, making it more affordable for non-professional, consumer market.

So, whatever "focal length" lens you use to take a pic, it is actually "zoomed in" like 1.6 times by default. So, pics taken by your 50mm lens will be equivalent pics taken 80mm for a full-frame camera (e.g. 5D). I hope it make sense.

For 50mm lens on 1.6x crop-sensor camera, it's about only head-shots/shoulder framing if you use it to take people sitting around you over dinner table. Hope that's a good gauge. If you want like 1/2 body shots (or for a few more faces in the pic without leaving your seat), I think 35mm (thus translates to 56mm) will be a more suitable choice.

okies, too much OT.. sorrie.. excited for you. :p

You might just want to add some basic cleaning kit - lens pen and keep probably some free lens cloth from optical shop. Also, get a len filter - it serves as protection for your lens too.

Looking forward to see your pics online! ;)

Thanks for explaining the crop sensor to me, I got you, wish to have full frame but it's still too ex for now : (

eh... i think you misunderstood me...
i made a mistake. it is at least $2700 for 40D and canon 17-55mm f2.8 together... this is without drycabi and other accesories.....

I think now you are getting what i mean liaoz....
Therefore, from what u want(first hand 40D) + another lens at $400? i think a good alternative is tamron 17-50 f 2.8? seriously, i think u need to let us know your budget....

I suggest you run through my initial first post and rethink you priorities..... then with a budget and rethink which are the one you need.... starting with a brand new 40D with kit lens is also a good combi.

Hope all the above so far helps~

Full frame is not expensive, if you use film slr :bsmilie: Just kidding, I know you wanna go digital.

Going to large electrical stores like Best Denki or Courts or Harvey Norman won't give you much discounts or any difference in prices. All they would do is give you different freebies.

For cheaper pricings, check out reputable smaller stores, like Cathay Photo, M S Colour or TK Foto.

Thank you for the advice, appreciate it. Haha, maybe it just me, I wish to have a brand new set for my "First Time", I guess you guys would understand what I mean.

That contradicts your initial statement of 'spending money wisely'. Especially if you are not sure whether this will be a permanent hobby you should limit the spending and use existing resources. On a tight budget and based on your selection I'd suggest a 2nd hand 40D with 2nd hand Tamron 17-50, both are easily available in Buy&Sell here. Using the Tamron you can save the money for the 50mm and get a dry cabinet or cleaning kit. Top up another 100 and you'll have already a decent tripod.
Think twice how much money you want to spend for the illusion of "new". Define your budget first.

you will probably need a zoom like the tamron 17-50, 50mm isn't really suited for landscape since you may want to shoot that too.. and a tripod.. depending on your budget you can go for the 18-55 kit lens or the 17-55 too..

That contradicts your initial statement of 'spending money wisely'. Especially if you are not sure whether this will be a permanent hobby you should limit the spending and use existing resources. On a tight budget and based on your selection I'd suggest a 2nd hand 40D with 2nd hand Tamron 17-50, both are easily available in Buy&Sell here. Using the Tamron you can save the money for the 50mm and get a dry cabinet or cleaning kit. Top up another 100 and you'll have already a decent tripod.
Think twice how much money you want to spend for the illusion of "new". Define your budget first.

Octarine just said what i wanted to say. Haha... :bsmilie:

To me the Canon 17-55 f2.8 is a lil bit expensive for starters. The Tamron 17-50 would be good, but a brand new set will set you back for abt $600 at OP (Orient Photo). However, by looking at the Buy&Sell Section, the cheapest a 17-50 ever went was $500, and these are normally used for quite some time (eg. 1yr or more). Hard to find copies that are a few months old these days. (If there are, i would have snapped them up already.)

Think carefully before investing in a flash as well. You must decide on what shots you want to take. Thus, my advice is, get the camera first, go out and keep shooting, then decide from there. =)

Wow, great inputs guys, I picked up a lot of useful ideas here. I get you Octarine, my budget is ard 2.5 k for body and lens. Is it safe to get second hand camera, as I had bad experience.....
I searched ard for Tamron 17-50mm, it's a pretty good lens for the price and quality, am I rite?

Get a 40D second hand.... most of them have some warranty or warranty might have just expired. That way, you can save dough for better lens or accessories in time to come.

I would think that buying second hand would be rather appealing as it enables to to have better alternative when it comes to buying other items.

for example,
1) better lens: i.e. perhaps a tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (covers all your needs from portrait to landscape)
2) cleaning kits: i.e. lens tissue/ rocket blower
3) storage: drycabi
4) memory: Cf cards and etc.
5) tripod.
6) Flash (e.g. 430EXII or 580EXII)

The choice lies on yourself whether which segments of the purchase you prioritise most. Furthermore, 40D is somewhat phasing out. buying a second hand can help as if you are those whom intend to change your body often then dun so pain...

Lastly, welcome to clubsnap~

Just my 2 cents~

ps: The above was a cut and paste from another of my recent recent post.

So i guess we are back to the initial reccomendation..... Seriously, its really best bet since most 40D comes with either warranty or warranty just expired. if you are not sure, just see the goods, feel it, test it then buy lor.... some sellers have personal warranty for 7 day rma.

Lastly, if you are still persistant with the brand new, you can still do so as $1400 + $620 (tamron), you might still have change to spare since your budget is $2500.

In general, yeah.. if you have a budget to manage or unsure, 2nd hand items are a better bet than getting brand new ones.

Being a newbie myself, I know what's your next concern - how to negotiate, what is considered "reasonable" price and what to inspect for when meddling with this used market. Unfortunately, I can't give you more valuable input this time, hopefully some kind lau-jiao soul is willing to help here. Chances are you're going to start some bickering between warring factions over simple choice of words or personal opinions. Don't feel guilty if it happens, that's just the way these people rub shoulder.. strange, but that's the courtesy culture here. :S

Perhaps you should create another account with girlie name... you might just get better luck! Hahhaha.. kidding.. but it might just work! :p

Hahaha what a way to interact~ You made it sound like all CS members are in a way pervasive enjoying "bickering".

Hmmm, then again start bickering on what? All are just voicing their thoughts lah...

Hahaha what a way to interact~ You made it sound like all CS members are in a way pervasive enjoying "bickering".

Hmmm, then again start bickering on what? All are just voicing their thoughts lah...

Oei! Dun throw me into yellow river ok? "Some", not all. ;)

Yeah.. I know, voicing strongly-opinionated thoughts. :D

I'm not saying it's wrong. Dun get me wrong again. :sweat:

50mm lens is very good esp for beginners.
U learn to walk with ur feet & appreciate different angles & perspectives.
the f1.8 is good as u learn how to vary ur aperture & appreciate depth of field.

Status
Not open for further replies.