Getting a new cam

Ayden Ong

Sep 14, 2011
Hi guys, I'm new here. So my problem is, I just sold my D90 a few weeks ago. And was thinking of getting a new cam. First thoughts that came was another D90. My family liked it, light, user friendly and nice shots. But since its out for quite some time, i was thinking of an upgrade. D7000 came by, but reviews online said its kindda overpriced. So i went on to look for new releases.. and it says somewhere in Nov this year, we might get some announcements. But in the mean time. I would like the help of clubsnap NIKON users to help suggest and give advices to what i should go for. Thanks in advance everyone! :D

is it overpriced? good value for money what.

i would still recommend getting the D7000 unless you want to spend more for a higher end model

Not really sure bout it.. Came upon it from some user reviews.

Guess i missed this out. I've actually got a D3S. But my mum and dad dont really use it. Lol. Cos its too heavy :p So my focus is more on user friendly and weight. So D7000 is really good for itself? I mean, if i wait, would i get a newer and better cam then d7000?

If you wait sure got better one. The only question is how long?

Guess i missed this out. I've actually got a D3S. But my mum and dad dont really use it. Lol. Cos its too heavy :p So my focus is more on user friendly and weight. So D7000 is really good for itself? I mean, if i wait, would i get a newer and better cam then d7000?

...I guess if you wait much, much longer, you may also be able to get an even better cam than the "newer and better cam then d7000", isn't it? ...............There's no stop to 'newer and better cam', unless the company close down.

Since you've already got the D3S, it is quite obvious where the problem is, size, weigh and simplicity? I guess the D7000 could well be one of your current choice for now, unless you don't mind looking for some slightly older model?

Overpriced or not? IMO, I don't think that is justifiable to be called overpriced at this current price range for D7000, unless people are trying to compare Sushi price for Tom-yam product with Sushi price for Sushi products.

If time permit, ask them to go Nikon centre to feel and touch for other models. Maybe even D5100 is good for them...

D3S too heavy? Why not you swap it with me? I get you a brand new D7000 + 18-105VR and 18-55VR lens :D
Heck I'll even throw in an SB400 and SB700 ;)

Hi guys, I'm new here. So my problem is, I just sold my D90 a few weeks ago. And was thinking of getting a new cam. First thoughts that came was another D90. My family liked it, light, user friendly and nice shots. But since its out for quite some time, i was thinking of an upgrade. D7000 came by, but reviews online said its kindda overpriced. So i went on to look for new releases.. and it says somewhere in Nov this year, we might get some announcements. But in the mean time. I would like the help of clubsnap NIKON users to help suggest and give advices to what i should go for. Thanks in advance everyone! :D

You can't get one camera to satisfy all the ppl in the family. Different ppl have different prefernces.

Ultimately, the one who pays for the camera will have a big say.

i would say old folks prefer lighter body ... my mum kept asking for Japan made umbrella which weight like feather.
.... .... ....

get Nikon One ... plus an adapter, you can mount all your fancy lenses onto it.

Get a X10, don't need to worry about changing lenses. Small and nice looking.

Well, D7000 really is quite a nice camera to have. But, if the user got a big hand, like me... probably not the best grip for people with big hands.

ZerocoolAstra said:
D3S too heavy? Why not you swap it with me? I get you a brand new D7000 + 18-105VR and 18-55VR lens :D

Haha...

Just get a leica since TS can't decide. I thought it is pretty obvious that should be most suitable?

Bro, hes referring to his parents not him lah... hahahahaha....

dear TS for someone having the D3s, and asking this quetion seem weird to me... thats on a personal level, but if u looking for light weight option for ya parents i suggest the D7000, get it second hand.... who knows it might served as ya back up body, either that like others say u want small u want light, go for M43 or Leica X1...

Bro, hes referring to his parents not him lah... hahahahaha....

dear TS for someone having the D3s, and asking this quetion seem weird to me... thats on a personal level, but if u looking for light weight option for ya parents i suggest the D7000, get it second hand.... who knows it might served as ya back up body, either that like others say u want small u want light, go for M43 or Leica X1...

You're right... it seems odd to ask such questions considering current gear. I'm having a feeling of 'deja vu' about this thread. Brings back memories of a deregistered young chappie on CS...

Its really puzzling when people say they own all the pro gear..but asked funny question. hmm.. gearhead or using friends account?
anyway.. TS can consider mirrorless also. small and light.

You're right... it seems odd to ask such questions considering current gear. I'm having a feeling of 'deja vu' about this thread. Brings back memories of a deregistered young chappie on CS...

hahahahaa, and whos that young chap..?? i cant seem to recall...

i mean if it strictly for parental use, even a D3100 or D5100 is suffice enough, im sure they wont be bother by the slow focussing speed or the tiny viewfinder, or the ability to lose AF with the D lenses.... Unless like the parents are like some parents of the bro here who also heavily into photography than its a diff story.....

Dear TS, why dont u bring down ya parents and go cam-hunting it might be easier for you, since its them deciding....

Hi TS, just curious. What actually happened the day when you decided to buy a D3S? Or rather what were you thinking?