Getting a Laptop - Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon80

Deregistered
Oct 8, 2004
For sch purpose - probably no need very high end.
&
For photos and editing as well ..
requirements - 1gb Ram, Good Big display, fast enough ... etc etc

Budget NOT more than $3k(max.)
Ani suggession ? Personally I like Toshiba one .. Veri nice design

No Apple Book ..

simon80 said:
&

Budget NOT more than $3k(max.)
Ani suggession ? Personally I like Toshiba one .. Veri nice design

No Apple Book ..
guess you are looking for something in the 14" range. Go to Funan, lvl 4 MC Square, look for Leslie, nice guy. He should be able to hook you up with something within your budget.

Hmmmm I just wonder how good is a laptop for photo editing.... :dunno:

idor said:
Hmmmm I just wonder how good is a laptop for photo editing.... :dunno:

Unless you MAX the RAM, get the fastest HDD and the best chip processor.

MAC Power Book 17 inch....is the way to go.

Are you also taking into account the cost of software... eg. Adobe Photoshop CS? it is quite costly and may take up a proportion of your budget

The best laptop for photo editing that is within your range so far i found is MAC PowerBook G4. :)

simon80 said:
&

the 2 purposes seems to contradict each other.

for minimal purpose (typing, surf net, play music)laptop it is sufficient to get 2nd hand pentium III ,1ghz. somewhere along 256mb and 30gb will be enough. goes for around $1k

for photo editing u will need to spend at least $3k for all the higher specs

hence if u want to get just one laptop then i am afraid it will have to be the high end one. unless u can stretch your budget to $4k and buy both a low end and a high end laptop

okie . .
my fault .. will get 1 which is good enough for photo editing. (cfm can use for normal sch work)

Never use a powerbook before..

I assume for sch works we will use applications on microsoft more often.
And for the computers in sch is is windows application as well.

Will there be software issue? wat if I save some files in Mac and can i open the file in windows ?

:think: :dunno:

nope not at all. since you are a student, get the student discount for the pwrbooks. should be around 2.8k. The pwrbooks now have 512mb, good enough for photoediting. MAC office will work with MS Office, compatible file formats. The mac os is easy to learn. but be prepared to change a few habits and learn new keystrokes.

TMC said:
nope not at all. since you are a student, get the student discount for the pwrbooks. should be around 2.8k. The pwrbooks now have 512mb, good enough for photoediting. MAC office will work with MS Office, compatible file formats. The mac os is easy to learn. but be prepared to change a few habits and learn new keystrokes.
True... Now I'm always trying to fnd the Apple key on my windows keyboards... Bleah...

Status
Not open for further replies.