Getting a DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

adidasyeo

Sep 17, 2009
hi guys!
I'm a total noob here.
Need to get some advice from u guys.
I wanted to get a DSLR and budget maybe abt 1.2k.
Any suggestion on brand and model??
Thanks!

Hello...welcome.

There are a couple of entry level cams from Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax and Olumpus. You may want to go to a shop to look at those that fits your budget and compare the features first. Do play around with the different models and see if they are comfortable to you and if the user interface is appealing to you cos every camera is different and some comes with build in stabiliser which is pretty useful.

Happy shopping.

There are many version/models in the DSLR for you to choose from, as galdor has mentioned already.

check out their specs (basically most entry-level cams have similar specs) but your budget will play a part,

it'll help you clamp down on those suitable for you. Trying them out at photographic supplies shop will help you see which is suitable for you and one you're comfortable with (IMO most imp factor).

with 1.2k, you can get a 1000D with kit lens (plus another basic tele 55-250 IS)

for nikon you can get a d3k with kit lens (plus another basic tele 55-200 VR)

i won't get the D5K cos i won't pay a few hundred more for the Video function.

The price of the kit (700-900), plus maybe an extra lens (300)... and don't forget accessories.

hi guys!
I'm a total noob here.
Thanks!

Consider getting a used set.
D80+ Tamron 17-50mm

wow.. thanks for the replies...
But what is kit lens??? pls enlighten me...

Hi there, u can check the price guides section. N if u're interested in one of them, go to some stores and try it. The most important thing is u're comfortable with the grip and the user interface.

To make it easy, entry levels like Nikon D3000, Canon 1000D, Sony A230, Olympus E450 suit ur budget well.

Hi there, u can check the price guides section. N if u're interested in one of them, go to some stores and try it. The most important thing is u're comfortable with the grip and the user interface.

To make it easy, entry levels like Nikon D3000, Canon 1000D, Sony A230, Olympus E450 suit ur budget well.

With $1.2K, I think it's possible to get a Sony A330 instead of the A230. The best part is it comes with a kit lens, image stabiliser and live view.

wow.. thanks for the replies...
But what is kit lens??? pls enlighten me...

Kit lens is the normal lens that is bundled with most DSLR bodies.

And to add abit, you may want to google dpreview there are alot previews of dslr, different brands. :D

kit lenses are those bundled with the body,

they are relatively low-priced as well

each body is bundled with different lenses.

D3000 with 18-55, D90 with 18-105, D80 with the 18-135.

take note of your body's kit lens

someone should collate all these "getting new dslr threads" into 1 single page ...haha

hi guys!
I'm a total noob here.
Thanks!

now that u've set a rough budget, great, time to take a look at the usual brands like Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc for models that fit ur budget, then find out more abt the features. after u narrow down to maybe 3-5 cameras then it'll be easier to get comments n recommendations

Then newbies will still not read it. :)
agreed. there are plenty of posts here but they don't read it,

and as well there are good stickies created (i.e sulhan's guide) but still they post the questions...

and there's the search button as well.

but, they are new and we should always be patient with them as it were once new...

no harm done:):):)

Don't scare them off so early... once they get their first DSLR then we can do the scaring =)

@ OP: Kit Lens is usually the "bundled lens as part of the starter kit", hence butchered into "kit lens". Most Entry DSLR bundles a "kit lens" that is good for everyday point and shoot like the 18-55mm that came with my 1000D.

Higher levels may offer different kit lens with the highest levels just selling the camera body alone.

IF you're not buying from a retailer or a shop... ensure that they bundle at least one lens. Had a friend "buy a 450D from ebay" and then to his horror he was only given the camera body... cannot take photos till he spent >$100 SGD on a lens and the basic stuff.

Last edited:
sorry guys!!! today is my first time surfing clubsnap.com
i even went to snapclub.com and got confused!!! haha
will search more b4 posting a qn next time!! haha

sorry guys!!! today is my first time surfing clubsnap.com
i even went to snapclub.com and got confused!!! haha
will search more b4 posting a qn next time!! haha

Just go to the main page of the forum and scroll down. Get an overview about that is already there. Browse through the categories and subforums and you will find plenty of information there. Whatever you want to ask you can bet is has been discussed here :)

Pentax Km ~$850 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit lenses.
Small niffy camera with that tad bit more features that Pentax always provides over competing bodies of the same price range.
On body SR, on-body lens drive motor, Spot metering

Or else the K20D, ~$1200, the advanced amateur camera for Pentax.

If you are willing to wait a while more
Kx
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5446856#post5446856
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.